MS462 vs MS500i

lehman live edge slab

Live Action
Local time
9:40 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
A low restriction air filter can make a big difference. I run the steel screen "winter" filter.

A muffler mod, a low restriction air filter (not sure which filter your saw came with), and a timing advance (.020 - .025) off the key will make a big difference in how that saw runs.

My 044 came with a triple layer air filter that was pretty restrictive. (foam, filter and felt cover).
Why would you run the metal screen filter on a work saw all year? They don’t filter very well lots of fines will get eaten by your saw.

Maintenance Chief

Disrupting the peace with an old chainsaw
Local time
10:40 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The maxflow kit does filter better then most ,but the fitment for the 088 is terrible and the plastic is garbage. Switching to outerwear prefilter was a better option for me with dry dust wood.
Oil from the maxflow will ooze down the handle of the 088 no matter how little I leave on the foam material.

MustangMike

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
1) Yes I do have a maxflow on one of my saws. It works very well, but I dread when it is time to clean it.

2) I do not run a steel screen filter when milling, as it creates a lot of dust, and likely also not good for stumping. But for general use, running sharp square file chain throwing decent chips, they seem to work just fine. I have them on several saws, and if I encounter any problems, I will let you know. I like that they are very easy to maintain, and I think they are less restrictive than other filters.

StihlMagnum440

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
A low restriction air filter can make a big difference. I run the steel screen "winter" filter.

A muffler mod, a low restriction air filter (not sure which filter your saw came with), and a timing advance (.020 - .025) off the key will make a big difference in how that saw runs.

My 044 came with a triple layer air filter that was pretty restrictive. (foam, filter and felt cover).
Big Dawgs to keep saw exhaust heat from building up near log, not spilling oil so wood dust sticks on cooling fins etc, blowing out fins flywheel etc, making sure covers are all good, running mainly in cool and friggin cold weather all help saw run cooler. Then put an OEM dual port that came stock from Stihl on non EPA saws that Stihl R&D came up with for performance (obviously they want non EPA saws to have best weight to power ratio). Change air filter as you suggested and keep that filter cleaned. Yep...sounds like a plan if noise is not too loud for my sawing situation.
On mtronic there is no muffler sensor as it is a crude electronic monitoring system vs automobiles. From what I understand it is a solonoid that turns off and on which turns on and off fuel and that is in in conjunction with a tachometer and based on the reaction to fuel flow being shut off to rpm changes it makes adjustments to get max rpms or something like that. So any muffler mods would not be so great...pretty much any changes would not over ride the mtronic..it is not that sophisticated and not multiple sensors with multiple electronic values.
So in a nutshell, on my saw it is OK as is and no worry of overheating because Stihl built it that way but it can be probably made to run cooler than even the standards Stihl had for the saw by adding Stihl OEM DP muffler and not guessing by having a home made or AM modified muffler. I wonder if the non EPA versions of my saw had longer lives from running cooler or is that balanced by fact you run the saw harder with the extra power. Six of this and a half dozen if the other...too many variables. That is why bars and chains and plastics etc I use whatever but on mechanicals I use OEM Stihl...their engineers know more than the rest of us (or myself I should say). Some on here think they know better and I am not going to argue with them.

maulhead

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
8:40 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
. Haha ha lol....not my thinking, it is from an article and that part is nothing. When it got to the ratio of exhaust port to optimum muffler hole size, I had enough and looked at pics. Top pic is mine and I do not even have the slot (sickening). I should get the bottom muffler from Stihl but do not know how loud it is. I have known this for 14 years! These guys will go on about muffler mods forever...look at all the old forums.
View attachment 319256

If you want to hear what the muffler in your 2nd picture sounds like on a saw, listen to this video from 0:49-2:15

That is the same muffler that is on this saw in the video. It's not excessively loud at all.

lehman live edge slab

Live Action
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Big Dawgs to keep saw exhaust heat from building up near log, not spilling oil so wood dust sticks on cooling fins etc, blowing out fins flywheel etc, making sure covers are all good, running mainly in cool and friggin cold weather all help saw run cooler. Then put an OEM dual port that came stock from Stihl on non EPA saws that Stihl R&D came up with for performance (obviously they want non EPA saws to have best weight to power ratio). Change air filter as you suggested and keep that filter cleaned. Yep...sounds like a plan if noise is not too loud for my sawing situation.
On mtronic there is no muffler sensor as it is a crude electronic monitoring system vs automobiles. From what I understand it is a solonoid that turns off and on which turns on and off fuel and that is in in conjunction with a tachometer and based on the reaction to fuel flow being shut off to rpm changes it makes adjustments to get max rpms or something like that. So any muffler mods would not be so great...pretty much any changes would not over ride the mtronic..it is not that sophisticated and not multiple sensors with multiple electronic values.
So in a nutshell, on my saw it is OK as is and no worry of overheating because Stihl built it that way but it can be probably made to run cooler than even the standards Stihl had for the saw by adding Stihl OEM DP muffler and not guessing by having a home made or AM modified muffler. I wonder if the non EPA versions of my saw had longer lives from running cooler or is that balanced by fact you run the saw harder with the extra power. Six of this and a half dozen if the other...too many variables. That is why bars and chains and plastics etc I use whatever but on mechanicals I use OEM Stihl...their engineers know more than the rest of us (or myself I should say). Some on here think they know better and I am not going to argue with them.
Mtronic still has no issues whatsoever with keeping up to a muffler mod or timing advance. Has really no issues on a ported saw, some early 261’s were a bit lean I heard but Stihl has opened up the main on the carb to fix that. Still didn’t hurt the saw before just went into protection mode. After the older carb was drilled larger to supply more fuel the consecutive hard cuts being an issue went away. Yes mtronic is fairly simple so I can’t understand why people are so afraid of it. Efi was much more complicated than a carb but much better also.

Funky sawman

Pony Power
Local time
7:40 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Mtronic still has no issues whatsoever with keeping up to a muffler mod or timing advance. Has really no issues on a ported saw, some early 261’s were a bit lean I heard but Stihl has opened up the main on the carb to fix that. Still didn’t hurt the saw before just went into protection mode. After the older carb was drilled larger to supply more fuel the consecutive hard cuts being an issue went away. Yes mtronic is fairly simple so I can’t understand why people are so afraid of it. Efi was much more complicated than a carb but much better also.
I'm not afrade of mtronic, I don't like the fact that I can get any current model of mtronic or autotune to bog occasionally with my quick blipping trigger finger.

StihlMagnum440

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
If you want to hear what the muffler in your 2nd picture sounds like on a saw, listen to this video from 0:49-2:15

That is the same muffler that is on this saw in the video. It's not excessively loud at all.

If there is a DP muffler that works and is quiet on a Stihl saw...it will come from Stihl. Right now I am cutting up a 24" or so oak and the branches etc. make the tree want to roll so I have no choice but to aim my muffler towards the one neighbor around. Glad my muffler is Stihl made to be quiet! I aimed exhaust other way ASAP. Yes, I would insist on stock Stihl OEM DP because they would have engineered it for max flow and as quiet as possible at the same time. It can be done by aiming noise for reflective ways or some darn thing. I am done cutting for today...time to come inside and warm up and give neighbor a break. Did have a breakdown...my 440 plastic label thingy vibrated off my top cover. I found it in the sawdust and it will get put right back on with some adhesive...that makes it run better.

StihlMagnum440

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
If there is a DP muffler that works and is quiet on a Stihl saw...it will come from Stihl. Right now I am cutting up a 24" or so oak and the branches etc. make the tree want to roll so I have no choice but to aim my muffler towards the one neighbor around. Glad my muffler is Stihl made to be quiet! I aimed exhaust other way ASAP. Yes, I would insist on stock Stihl OEM DP because they would have engineered it for max flow and as quiet as possible at the same time. It can be done by aiming noise for reflective ways or some darn thing. I am done cutting for today...time to come inside and warm up and give neighbor a break. Did have a breakdown...my 440 plastic label thingy vibrated off my top cover. I found it in the sawdust and it will get put right back on with some adhesive...that makes it run better.
IMG_20211213_140105345_HDR.jpg

lehman live edge slab

Live Action
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The Stihl magnum dp cover for an 044/046 isn’t really all that quiet but does what it’s supposed to do by gaining 1/2 hp according to the official Stihl literature I have. A home made modified muffler can be just as quiet as the oem

Funky sawman

Pony Power
Local time
7:40 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Want to talk about noise, I've owned 2 038 magII saws both factory triple port mufflers, those ran real good, more torque than a stock 044 in my opinion. Another loud one is the dual port factory 056 mag ll. Those saws got pushed away because EPA and OSHA noise regulations.

Kw trees

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I own both after waiting on 500i I’m tad disappointed with the the hype I’m running only bolt in mods at this point (air filter and muffler cover) and it seams with 28in bar the 462 has alot torque compared to 500i going to be sending my out to get ported after holidays

Attachments

• 05176C82-AE57-4EE2-BAEC-3F23EFE76FCC.jpeg
    05176C82-AE57-4EE2-BAEC-3F23EFE76FCC.jpeg
    479.9 KB · Views: 13
  • F03F2336-DE7E-47B9-B29C-104B10411B9E.jpeg
    F03F2336-DE7E-47B9-B29C-104B10411B9E.jpeg
    281.9 KB · Views: 13

lehman live edge slab

Live Action
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I own both after waiting on 500i I’m tad disappointed with the the hype I’m running only bolt in mods at this point (air filter and muffler cover) and it seams with 28in bar the 462 has alot torque compared to 500i going to be sending my out to get ported after holidays
Should honestly be the opposite, the 500’s have smooth broader torque with a longer bar and the 462 is better with short ones and actually cuts faster on smaller wood. More rpm but narrower power band on them. How many tanks through the 500?