jakethesnake

I Am The Snake
Local time
10:12 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Found this odd.

longer story this saw was scored. New meteor piston caber ring.

all well but never did oil. Just oiled the side of the case.

move been in this thing a few times.

Found something interesting.

jakethesnake

I Am The Snake
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I’m just going to spot over this with jb weld. Good enough for who it’s for
(It’s mine)
Not gonna sell it ever.
Not a huge stihl fan but for what this thing is the few test cuts I’ve made with it it’s a pretty good saw for firewood. Fairly close to a 455 husky is my opinion.

Dub11

Saw R skeery
GoldMember
Local time
9:12 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
If you still have oiler out and a dremel you can port that thang.

I was never happy with the way my 290 oiled.

jakethesnake

I Am The Snake
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
If you still have oiler out and a dremel you can port that thang.

I was never happy with the way my 290 oiled.
Pics? Or explanation. I’m a hack that just jb welded a plastic elbow. I like good flow

jakethesnake

I Am The Snake
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I didn’t bother modding the pump. I did test briefly. Noodled up some bone dry mulberry from firewood pile. I’m pretty satisfied as is. No oil leaks Runs great. One of those unfinished projects complete

Wood Doctor

Edwin
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I ran into an MS290 this past fall that would oil neither the chain nor the bar. I replaced the pump, the oil line, and the filter, and it still would oil neither the bar nor the chain. The oil slot/port on the housing lined up with the bar OK, but no oil would make it to the port. I gave up, charged the owner nothing, and he saved the saw for parts.

First time that ever happened to me with any saw, but it did happen. If anyone has any suggestions, feel free to offer them. The saw's engine runs fine and is still intact in the boneyard. Rather sad.:(

jakethesnake

I Am The Snake
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I ran into an MS290 this past fall that would oil neither the chain nor the bar. I replaced the pump, the oil line, and the filter, and it still would oil neither the bar nor the chain. The oil slot/port on the housing lined up with the bar OK, but no oil would make it to the port. I gave up, charged the owner nothing, and he saved the saw for parts.

First time that ever happened to me with any saw, but it did happen. If anyone has any suggestions, feel free to offer them. The saw's engine runs fine and is still intact in the boneyard. Rather sad.:(
Will it oil without a bar on it?

jakethesnake

I Am The Snake
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Mine was oiling everything but not making it to the port either. Ouled my leg and such. I missed the problem multiple times.

Dub11

Saw R skeery
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

Ever check the tank vent?

Wood Doctor

Edwin
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Ever check the tank vent?
The IPL doesn't show any "tank vent" except for fuel. What part is that? The valve (1128 640 9199)? Can that get clogged up somehow and stymie the pump? Seems precarious. TIA.
upload_2022-1-10_15-18-50.png
I partially plugged an oil tank vent on a Husky 257 and it pumped even more oil afterwards. It seems a wide open vent was slowing down the pump, just the opposite of what I expected.

Last edited:

Dub11

Saw R skeery
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The IPL doesn't show any "tank vent" except for fuel. What part is that? The valve (1128 640 9199)? Can that get clogged up somehow and stymie the pump? Seems precarious. TIA.
View attachment 323375
I partially plugged an oil tank vent on a Husky 257 and it pumped even more oil afterwards. It seems a wide open vent was slowing down the pump, just the opposite of what I expected.

Yeah that thing by the studs.

And that's a head scratcher for sure on the 257.

Wood Doctor

Edwin
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Yeah that thing by the studs. And that's a head scratcher for sure on the 257.
As shown in the diagram, you have to knock that "thing" (valve) out and replace it. I suppose it's worth a try. That part is the same on several Stihl models. I tried to simply open the small opening in the valve with a needle and that failed to do anything.

I also agree that the 257 replacement I made should have slowed down the oil flow rather than speed it up. I'll keep watching it and report back, but it already kicked out a full tank to the bar and the saw ran fine while doing so.

Dub11

Saw R skeery
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
As shown in the diagram, you have to knock that "thing" (valve) out and replace it. I suppose it's worth a try. That part is the same on several Stihl models. I tried to simply open the small opening in the valve with a needle and that failed to do anything.

I also agree that the 257 replacement I made should have slowed down the oil flow rather than speed it up. I'll keep watching it and report back, but it already kicked out a full tank to the bar and the saw ran fine while doing so.

Maybe just hit the valve with some air.

Make sure the tank is empty first, don't be like me lol.

Wood Doctor

Edwin
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Maybe just hit the valve with some air.

Make sure the tank is empty first, don't be like me lol.
Thanks, Dub, I will do that. I have a tire inflater that might do the trick. I'll try that first. If it fails, I will replace the valve. If that fails, I'll drop the saw back in the bone yard. I've never seen anything quite like this with any Stihl that I have ever worked on. Thanks again.