High Quality Chainsaw Bars Husqvarna Toys

more good news about stihl oem pistons....

MustangMike

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
11:39 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Now that is a good question, is this a US price increase, or just in Canada???

I'm supposed to have a batch of MS 460s coming in to be repaired, and I think some need pistons (but I have not seen them yet, just know they price the shop quoted made them not worth it). So if there is going to be a price increase, I would like to try to beat it.

Onan18

OPE Sponsor
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I just priced a set of ms250 seals and it totaled $47 for a set of two.
I love finding out that something I own will hit the junk pile over the cost of a good proper tune up.

I think I would take one of the old seals to a bearing house or NAPA and get them crossed Jim buddy, that is just plain highway robbery!

Chainsaw Jim

Con Artist LLC
Local time
8:39 PM
User ID
Reaction score
I think I would take one of the old seals to a bearing house or NAPA and get them crossed Jim buddy, that is just plain highway robbery!
I'm sure they're less than half that somewhere else.
Did people complain to stihl about paying higher prices, or did it sound more like a complaint about the US having cheaper prices? I think stihl will receive more complaints when shops aren't able to afford to work on stihl saws.

Last edited:

beaglebriar

The Peanut Gallery
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I don't run a shop to make people wait on shipping and I will never buy aftermarket seals.
Do as you like doesn't matter to me.

Shipping from people like Definitive Dave often is faster than waiting on my local dealers to get parts so I don't see your point there.

I prefer to use OEM as well but I'm not the one complaining about 47 dollar seals. Just trying to offer you some other options.

Chainsaw Jim

Con Artist LLC
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Do as you like doesn't matter to me.

Shipping from people like Definitive Dave often is faster than waiting on my local dealers to get parts so I don't see your point there.

I prefer to use OEM as well but I'm not the one complaining about 47 dollar seals. Just trying to offer you some other options.
Did I miss something here? Why would you take my comment so personal? I have like six stihl shops within reasonable driving distance and one always has what I want in stock so I never really need to order stuff unless it's an oversized sprocket...which one of the shops usually has a supply of.
I don't really appreciate the comment about how you're not the one complaining. Anyone else mentions a high price and I don't see you calling them complainers.
Also, Definitive Dave is one hell of a stand up guy so I have no idea why you feel the need to include him in this.

bigbadbob

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Just priced out parts for a 361 stihl, tank, muffler, brake handle, handle bar, decomp, air cleaner and cover.
$578 plus tax 13%,,,probably some shipping in there to!! Nuff said!!
Makes it hard to go there,,
BBB

Onan18

OPE Sponsor
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I don't run a shop to make people wait on shipping and I will never consider buying aftermarket seals unless nla.

Jim personally if I were you on a lower cost unit like this I might reconsider. Stihl, Husqvarna, Dolmar, nor Echo make those seals, they are sourced from an outside vendor. When you go to a bearing supply house (around here the main ones are Motion Industries (Used to be Dixie Bearing) Global Bearing, and INF Bearing) all you are doing is buying the part directly from a wholesale distributor and cutting out the OEM 200%+ markup. Now as an authorized dealer I cannot do that, I have to use OEM parts, but an independent repair shop can do it as long as the customer is made aware up front and given the three options, OEM, aftermarket, or decline the repair.

Cut4fun

Redneck Chainsaw Repair
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Stihl dealer said the reason the big drop for the certain pistons etc was because of being made in the China plant.

Shipping saws from China too. Ones like made in Va.

Also stated pro saws have these China made parts in them too.

True or not no clue.