Methanol burning 084 rebuild

mdavlee

Hillbilly grinder
Local time
10:51 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I bet it was straight methanol with the wide squish band and small chamber. Unless thst chamber is way deep it shoukd have plenty of compression

Stihlbro

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
At this stage, I am most interested in the fuel and what to use.
The nuts and bolts are easy

You need to find methanol for racing. VP sells it, it may be available locally like at a dirt track. There is a methanol for 4 strokes that has a topend lubricant. Just make sure it is specified for engines, not the hardware store type.
I would completely disassemble the carb and inspect throughly. At least put new soft parts in. Pay particular attention the the needle and seat,spring and fulcrum position. The carb has been reworked to run on methanol or as some call it alcohol. The fuel passages have been enlarged so can flow possible 2 1/2times more than what gas requires. Renew fuel pick up line and if it has a filter, duplicate it the same way you found it.

I would make detail notes of the disassemble with specifics of pop off pressure, and needle settings. The nuts and bolts are the same as any saw. Qualify the kill switch or make sure you have a way to shut the saw down if needed.

spencerpaving

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Local hobby shop sells some premix fuel for nitro RC cars

https://www.frontlinehobbies.com.au/categories/I/J70

Any preference between KL 200 or benol?
I would start with straight meth...then if you want start adding nitro to see what it likes...you have to pump huge amounts of fuel to start running higher nitro percentages.
..I wouldn't run rc fuel....it has too much oil in it and often too much nitro

mdavlee

Hillbilly grinder
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I would start with straight meth...then if you want start adding nitro to see what it likes...you have to pump huge amounts of fuel to start running higher nitro percentages.
..I wouldn't run rc fuel....it has too much oil in it and often too much nitro
The RC fuel I have is 20% oil. It run ok but was better with extra methanol. I have some M5 now but I ran out of time messing with the carbs.

Brewz

Free Range Human in a Tax Farm
Local time
12:51 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Thanks for the input folks, keep it going, I'm learning here.
I guess I could always fit up a stock HT and just run petrol but I would love to get it running as it was made to run

I am going to get back in touch with the bloke I bought it off and see if he can remember where he got it

mdavlee

Hillbilly grinder
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Thanks for the input folks, keep it going, I'm learning here.
I guess I could always fit up a stock HT and just run petrol but I would love to get it running as it was made to run

I am going to get back in touch with the bloke I bought it off and see if he can remember where he got it
If the pipe was made for methanol it may be shorter than ideal for gas from what I've been studying

CR888

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
12:51 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I think if you want to run pump gas the carb would need reworking as it probably has drilled/enlarged jets to deliver the fuel on methanol. Also some advice on methanol from folks who use it will help with maintenance....ie flushing saw after use to keep parts from deterioration. A bit of work goes into a successful conversion to alky, do you want to undo that? I'd try alky first before trying to switch back to pump gas, it would be a wooty hooty saw. Cool project!!