Mercury (Disston) KB7

Alaskanrocket

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
10:03 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Hey Guys,
I'm working on a KB7 for a buddy of mine, it fires but the timing doesn't seem to be right, it acts like its back firing then rips the handle out of my hands, is there timing adjustment on these in the mag? On some of the old outboards I've worked on there was a advance/retard lever that would make the engine act similar so my guess is this is the same and I'm missing something. Better yet, is there any literature out there. I did a search but couldn't find anything on timing. It would be great to find a service manual. Thanks

Newdave

OPE Member
Local time
11:03 PM
User ID
Reaction score
I have a operator manual ,I can scan to pdf and upload to manuals this week

av8or3

So many saw ... so little time...
GoldMember
Local time
2:03 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Check for a sheared flywheel woodruff key.

Jimmy in NC

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
2:03 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Hey Guys,
I'm working on a KB7 for a buddy of mine, it fires but the timing doesn't seem to be right, it acts like its back firing then rips the handle out of my hands, is there timing adjustment on these in the mag? On some of the old outboards I've worked on there was a advance/retard lever that would make the engine act similar so my guess is this is the same and I'm missing something. Better yet, is there any literature out there. I did a search but couldn't find anything on timing. It would be great to find a service manual. Thanks
Do those mags have an impulse coupling? It could be hung not allowing it to retard for starting.