Maruyama MCV51

Jughead

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
1:05 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Good news...have you found what carb is on the saw ?
Nope I just popped out the diapram with the carb still attached.of course Greenthorn told me too.said it wasn't worth the hassle just to change springs.be leave he was correct.lol i'llc pop the top later and see if I can spot a number.

Greenthorn

Least Informed OPE Member
Local time
6:05 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The carb is a Zama DM20328A

Don't thank me, it was 166 that clued us in.:)
Now then pretty sure the spring fixed em, on the ported one, I am convinced it did fix it. This issue is weird, as I said in my earlier posts, the issue for me is when they set for a few days.
Once started and ran they are fine, and start continuously the rest of the day with no problem. Go to fire it up the next day, and they start the first pull. Let them set 4 or 5 days and that's when their flooded? Weird huhh?
So after replacing the springs, the ported one starts just fine one pull on choke after setting for a few days, only adjustment I had to make was setting the idle screw, nothing else.
Now on the stock one the problem still exists, it is flooded on 2 attempts after setting 4 days each time, I did adjusts the idle screw and the low jet screw on this one, I am now thinking that maybe it is a problem with the vent? Both times after the 4 day experiment I took the carbs off and gas just squirts out of the fuel line, so there's gotta be a pressure problem? So one is resolved and the other I will keep fiddling with! Anybody else have a problem getting these throttle cable sleeves line back in the housing correctly? :bash:

Czed

Aluminium Member
GoldMember
Local time
1:05 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Amazon won't post my review asking why the price went from 329.99 to 499.99 lol

Simondo

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
6:05 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Now then pretty sure the spring fixed em, on the ported one, I am convinced it did fix it. This issue is weird, as I said in my earlier posts, the issue for me is when they set for a few days.
Once started and ran they are fine, and start continuously the rest of the day with no problem. Go to fire it up the next day, and they start the first pull. Let them set 4 or 5 days and that's when their flooded? Weird huhh?
So after replacing the springs, the ported one starts just fine one pull on choke after setting for a few days, only adjustment I had to make was setting the idle screw, nothing else.
Now on the stock one the problem still exists, it is flooded on 2 attempts after setting 4 days each time, I did adjusts the idle screw and the low jet screw on this one, I am now thinking that maybe it is a problem with the vent? Both times after the 4 day experiment I took the carbs off and gas just squirts out of the fuel line, so there's gotta be a pressure problem? So one is resolved and the other I will keep fiddling with! Anybody else have a problem getting these throttle cable sleeves line back in the housing correctly? :bash:
Do you burp your Fuel tank at the end of the day before leaving the saw for a few days ?

Simondo

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
No, think I should start venting the gas cap before putting them up?
Yup....If there is a pressure build (for what ever reason) in the tank and the needle spring pressure is not enough to hold the metering needle shut then you "may" get fuel working its way (in liquid form) into the intake and then on down into the crank case..giving you a instant flood ...That was why I was interested in "Re Seat" pressure and not so much pop off. I could be ..Way.. off of corse. :)

Dolmar Junkie

Not interested in rehab, just more Saws...
Local time
12:05 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Did the stock non ported saw get the new spring also? I have had the same or a similar issue with an EA5000(5105) and a 7910 as you stated when started will perform normally all day or a couple of days but once allowed to sit for multiple days will flood dramatically,to the point of puking fuel from the muffler upon trying to start, I had begun to remove fuel, for storage of any significant amount of time . I had hoped after 166's post that the spring would eliminate the issue, but if you replaced the spring in the stock saw and problem remains then? None of my older non cat/non epa saws have ever had this issue. Hopefully this thread will contribute to an actual solution, will replace springs and report back. Thank you Gentlemen for your information and effort! Matt.....

Greenthorn

Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Here is the fix
d4d4c586cf4ee45fdc14c7c4753ef8a4.jpg

It's a lot stiffer than the OEM Zama spring. It's fixed every saw so far.
Did the stock non ported saw get the new spring also? I have had the same or a similar issue with an EA5000(5105) and a 7910 as you stated when started will perform normally all day or a couple of days but once allowed to sit for multiple days will flood dramatically,to the point of puking fuel from the muffler upon trying to start, I had begun to remove fuel, for storage of any significant amount of time . I had hoped after 166's post that the spring would eliminate the issue, but if you replaced the spring in the stock saw and problem remains then? None of my older non cat/non epa saws have ever had this issue. Hopefully this thread will contribute to an actual solution, will replace springs and report back. Thank you Gentlemen for your information and effort! Matt.....
Yes, springs replaced in both of them.

Dolmar Junkie

Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Yup....If there is a pressure build (for what ever reason) in the tank and the needle spring pressure is not enough to hold the metering needle shut then you "may" get fuel working its way (in liquid form) into the intake and then on down into the crank case..giving you a instant flood ...That was why I was interested in "Re Seat" pressure and not so much pop off. I could be ..Way.. off of corse. :)
Yes this may be a temporary solution,but without leaving the saw on it's side with the tank slightly cracked, then the normal fluctuation of temp. especially going into summer will create the same issue with tank pressure. I already have to leave caps cracked on fuel cans to prevent collapsing and blowing up due to fluctuation of temps. I don't want to have to babysit my saws like that! There has to be a solution, doesn't there???

Dolmar Junkie

Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Yes, springs replaced in both of them.
And no joy on the stock saw correct? I have never paid any attention to the ventilation system but could that be the issue? Did it change at all from the early non cat/epa models (like the 6401)???

Simondo

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Yes this may be a temporary solution,but without leaving the saw on it's side with the tank slightly cracked, then the normal fluctuation of temp. especially going into summer will create the same issue with tank pressure. I already have to leave caps cracked on fuel cans to prevent collapsing and blowing up due to fluctuation of temps. I don't want to have to babysit my saws like that! There has to be a solution, doesn't there???
Indeed....I dont have the big temp fluctuations in the UK you may be dealing with (unless a saw is left in the full sun) so maybe go for a full tank to get shot of the evaporative expansion gap ?
Other than that a empty tank with a lose cap is not such a bad thing if your putting a saw up for a while. I did say "whatever the reason for pressure in the tank was " Maybe its a conditions thing or something generated by the running saw, either way its not ideal .I picked up on the "fountain of fuel" mentioned from the fuel line as "Unusual " and not desired. Any system that has to combat that pressure by way of a valve is going to have to be up to the job if it matters .

Dolmar Junkie

Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Indeed....I dont have the big temp fluctuations in the UK you may be dealing with (unless a saw is left in the full sun) so maybe go for a full tank to get shot of the evaporative expansion gap ?
Other than that a empty tank with a lose cap is not such a bad thing if your putting a saw up for a while. I did say "whatever the reason for pressure in the tank was " Maybe its a conditions thing or something generated by the running saw, either way its not ideal .I picked up on the "fountain of fuel" mentioned from the fuel line as "Unusual " and not desired. Any system that has to combat that pressure by way of a valve is going to have to be up to the job if it matters .
If stored for a significant amount( 2 weeks or more)of time then is stored empty (primarily for fuel life fears even though using non ethanol fuel) but 4-5 days should not be an issue,all other non epa saws perform flawlessly in this manner. And no other conditions of use issues are present,that are not handled readily by other Makita/Dolmars . So will replace springs and investigate
ventilation system......

Simondo

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
If stored for a significant amount( 2 weeks or more)of time then is stored empty (primarily for fuel life fears even though using non ethanol fuel) but 4-5 days should not be an issue,all other non epa saws perform flawlessly in this manner. And no other conditions of use issues are present,that are not handled readily by other Makita/Dolmars . So will replace springs and investigate
ventilation system......
I agree the situation is far from ideal Matt ... EPA....Maybe the carb numbers could be found as I dont have EPA saws for reference as i belive they are different to Euro. The Muruyama saw flooding has come from looking into this brand ... Dolmar/Makita saws dont seem to have been talked about in these terms before in general so its all a bit of a puzzle.

Dolmar Junkie

Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I agree the situation is far from ideal Matt ... EPA....Maybe the carb numbers could be found as I dont have EPA saws for reference as i belive they are different to Euro. The Muruyama saw flooding has come from looking into this brand ... Dolmar/Makita saws dont seem to have been talked about in these terms before in general so its all a bit of a puzzle.
Have you seen this on any Euro saws? If not then I am curious if the ventilation system and the aforementioned spring were in fact changed due to EPA standards. Who knows,if anyone figures this out please let me know. Thanks Simon for coming all the way from the UK to lend a hand!
Tell Elizabeth hello and I hope all is well,. Matt...

Simondo

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Have you seen this on any Euro saws? If not then I am curious if the ventilation system and the aforementioned spring were in fact changed due to EPA standards. Who knows,if anyone figures this out please let me know. Thanks Simon for coming all the way from the UK to lend a hand!
Tell Elizabeth hello and I hope all is well,. Matt...
No Matt... not like its being talked about on this thread. Sure...the 5105 can be set up badly like any saw causing agro , but overall the modern Dolmars i am familiar with...(ps 420 ps 5105 ps 6100) are all very well behaved. One thing ..5105 is the only one without a remote primmer, the other two "Need" fuel pulled through to pop properly . I was working on a 2015 yr Ps 5105 last week doing a carb kit and checked the pop off and re seat pressure out of interest. 25 + psi pop and easily could reseat and hold 13-15 psi recovering from pop. Most HDA walbro carbs iv tested are similar from memory. I think the Zama on the 5105 has some shared H and L fuel ways so they can have a bit of a cross in there adjustment i have found.

Dolmar Junkie

Local time
User ID
Reaction score
No Matt... not like its being talked about on this thread. Sure...the 5105 can be set up badly like any saw causing agro , but overall the modern Dolmars i am familiar with...(ps 420 ps 5105 ps 6100) are all very well behaved. One thing ..5105 is the only one without a remote primmer, the other two "Need" fuel pulled through to pop properly . I was working on a 2015 yr Ps 5105 last week doing a carb kit and checked the pop off and re seat pressure out of interest. 25 + psi pop and easily could reseat and hold 13-15 psi recovering from pop. Most HDA walbro carbs iv tested are similar from memory. I think the Zama on the 5105 has some shared H and L fuel ways so they can have a bit of a cross in there adjustment i have found.
Do you perform these tests with standard pressure testing equipment or is there specific equipment for carb.test? And if rates are within spec would you think that a venting issue could be present allowing to rise above pop off value? I know nothing about these carburetor 's due to the fact that I have never had an issue with one,so I hope my limited knowledge doesn't become tedious! Matt....

Greenthorn

Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Well, there must be an issue with 5105 dolmars, if 166 was aware of the fix, no?
Simon, you're a dolmar dealer, and you say you haven't heard of it?
The carb number you posted is different than the one I posted.
So what all carbs are compatible with the 5105?

Simondo

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Do you perform these tests with standard pressure testing equipment or is there specific equipment for carb.test? And if rates are within spec would you think that a venting issue could be present allowing to rise above pop off value? I know nothing about these carburetor 's due to the fact that I have never had an issue with one,so I hope my limited knowledge doesn't become tedious! Matt....
Im not sure of the spec of the carb on the Maruyama /5105 so the test was to see what a saw that was not flooding out gave...saved stripping my 5105 carb down to get some readings.
Nothing special kit wise Matt..a pressure /vac tester pump that i use on crank seal..fuel line ..carb and many other checks (only pic i have to hand of 1 of a pump is of a crank case on test ). Im no expert ...haven't lived 2 lifetimes yet :D
Photo0645.jpg

Dolmar Junkie

Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Well, there must be an issue with 5105 dolmars, if 166 was aware of the fix, no?
Simon, you're a dolmar dealer, and you say you haven't heard of it?
The carb number you posted is different than the one I posted.
So what all carbs are compatible with the 5105?
Will have to look at my carb after while, I also have a 7910 that does the same thing,both after sitting for a couple of days will flood to the point of puking fuel from the exhaust. And the fact that the saws that are experiencing issues are in the US makes me curious as to what changes were made to meet EPAspecs since my non EPA saws have never had an issue. But that being said it's obvious that not all saws of these models are experiencing these problems so some variable in play. I was so excited after 166's post about spring until you said 1 of yours still had issue....????? !!!! ???? Makes my head hurt....