Log Splitter high pressure hose

bastek

New OPE Member
Local time
3:59 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Hi there, I recently put together a newly purchased log splitter but noticed a slight damage to a high-pressure hose (attached image). Is it still safe to use in a current condition?

Attachments

• IMG_5226.jpg
    IMG_5226.jpg
    147.5 KB · Views: 41

cus_deluxe

terms of service violator
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
i could be wrong but that shell of the hose is basically there to protect the wire re-inforcement inside. that said you can get the death penalty pretty quick if youre in the wrong spot when that ruptures. that would prob be fine but i would personally change it.

GMB74

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
It doesn't look too bad, but I agree with cus_deluxe.
It is a lot better (and cheaper) to be proactive and replace it now rather than wait for it to rupture.
Remove the hose and take it to a tractor or heavy equipment repair shop, or auto parts store that makes them.
Shouldn't be too expensive.
Cheaper than replacing the hydraulic fluid, cleaning up the mess and being down at an inconvenient time.

Pincher

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
2:59 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
From my past experience, damaged hoses as you have pictured will hold for some time. When they fail it will be in that damaged area. I assume the exposed wires deteriorate from rust. Just my 2 cents.

Loony661

Stock chainsaws suck.
GoldMember
Local time
2:59 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Hi there, I recently put together a newly purchased log splitter but noticed a slight damage to a high-pressure hose (attached image). Is it still safe to use in a current condition?
If that damage is not through the wire mesh inside, it will last a long time if kept out of the weather (sun). Hoses are incredibly durable. That being said, a hose like that may be $30-50 depending on the fittings and length, and is a fairly inexpensive way to ensure long life of the machine and reduce risk of injury to the user. I know what I can and can’t get away with on my log skidder, but if I was standing near or over a hose like that on a wood splitter, I personally would change it sooner than later.

Last edited:

av8or3

So many saw ... so little time...
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I agree with the folks above. Bottom line, change it as soon as practicable.

RCBS

Redneck Savant Extraordinaire
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I wouldn't sweat that. I worked in a hydro hose shop and some of the stuff that came in was truly unbelievable. Hoses that were badly decomposed and still being used.

Dustin4185

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Not knowing if it’s a quality hose to engine with, I would change it. We have hoses that look much worse on farm equipment, but we aren’t in the firing line if/when they bust. That’s probably a low quality hose because most manufacturers don’t use quality hoses from the factory.