Let’s Talk 404

Maintenance Chief

Disrupting the peace with an old chainsaw
Local time
8:20 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Snapped a Stihl .404 chain milling with the ported 1201. Didn't hit anything, was oiling good, nothing was even warmed up.

Will continue using btch-ass stihl .404 chain, but I thought .404 was "durable"? Might switch to oregon .404.

Pav-ported CS 1201 needs .080/.404 harvester chain, 😂. Couldn't imagine putting 3/8 on this monster.
20240324-194514.jpg

20240324-194501.jpg
Thats a weird place for the chain to break? ,without a pinch.
I think you'll probably break Oregon modern chain too. I've got some old #52 Oregon thats pretty heavy duty. What size loop are you using?

hacskaroly

Super OPE Member
Local time
5:20 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I would think that the whole loop is compromised!?
Possibly, but there is still plenty of meat left on that chain. I would inspect it more closely for other evidence of damage before butterflying in a new section and filing down the cutters and depth gauges to match the rest of the chain. Sometimes replacement cost dictates between tossing or fixing.

Junk Meister

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
7:20 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Thats a weird place for the chain to break? ,without a pinch.
I think you'll probably break Oregon modern chain too. I've got some old #52 Oregon thats pretty heavy duty. What size loop are you using?
Looks like someone (Not sayin' who:rolleyes:) popped it into reverse at full throttle. Sumfun hadda give.

mainer_in_ak

Super OPE Member
Local time
4:20 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Yep, that stihl-born .404 garbage is going in the trash can. Anyhow, I've been very impressed with the ocs-01 steel in the Oregon chain. They claim that it's more durable in below zero weather.

The versacut 27x .404 is what I'll replace the chain with. They run extra chrome on the teeth as well.

Bout $57 for a 108 dl loop shipped to Alaska. Not bad eh?

That chain had a wide "swat" when she let loose. There was a guy on other side of saw log, bout to place wedges in the kerf. I'm constantly "shoeing" him away when hes trying to be helpful because I don't like people in proximity of my cut. I think he finally realized why. At least nobody got hurt.

Last edited:

Maintenance Chief

Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Yep, that stihl-born .404 garbage is going in the trash can. Anyhow, I've been very impressed with the ocs-01 steel in the Oregon chain. They claim that it's more durable in below zero weather.

The versacut 27x .404 is what I'll replace the chain with. They run extra chrome on the teeth as well.

Bout $57 for a 108 dl loop shipped to Alaska. Not bad eh?

That chain had a wide "swat" when she let loose. There was a guy on other side of saw log, bout to place wedges in the kerf. I'm constantly "shoeing" him away when hes trying to be helpful because I don't like people in proximity of my cut. I think he finally realized why. At least nobody got hurt.
Whats a "wide swat"?
Oregon 27 is very good chain, I used it on my 6 cube Homelites, very easy to maintain and great for dirty logs.

Maintenance Chief

Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Wide swat: 2 ft of chain sling shot off the nose sprocket and the drive links gouged the fk out of the bark on the off side of the saw log. Had he been messing with wedges, he'd have gotten hurt
Oh when it broke loose, that makes sense.

Wilhelm

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
2:20 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I don't want anyone around me when I handle chainsaws, don't wanna have to think about their safety while trying not to maim or kill myself.

People don't understand when I tell them "do not stand/move in front nor behind of me while I am cutting".

Bucking up logs I have to be weary of their movements as I buck, I can and will not track other people's whereabouts!
That one round held up 3-4 logs stacked shoulder/head high.

IMG_20240326_113356.jpg

Last edited:

Maintenance Chief

Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I don't want anyone around me when I handle chainsaws, don't wanna have to think about their safety while trying not to maim or kill myself.

People don't understand when I tell them "do not stand/move in front nor behind of me while I am cutting".

Bucking up logs I have to be weary of their movements as I buck, I can and will not track other people's whereabouts!
That one round held up 3-4 logs stacked shoulder/head high.

View attachment 413468
You ever see a two man saw with a stinger bar?

mainer_in_ak

Super OPE Member
Local time
4:20 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
David, I had already tossed it. I checked my chain tensioner, was darn near towards the end of chain tensioner adjustment. 2 seasons of milling on that chain.

Squareground3691

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
any mods to your 592 to run your 404 setup? If stock, how’s do you find the 592 handles 404 compared to 3/8?
I duel ported the muffler, and RB air filter setup, with air vents in cover , it handles it no problem no real noticeable differences , maybe a tad slower running 7T , handles it well , IMG_1137.jpegIMG_1138.jpegIMG_0209.jpeg

Last edited:

vrex

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I’m getting a parts order together for my saws, a 2nd port for the 592 is on that list. Did you clean out the factory port or just go big on the 2nd one? Have you found the RBS filter to be worth any power or just for “better” filtration (I’m on the east coast, bark dust isn’t wrecking my filters like it appears to do out west)

Squareground3691

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I’m getting a parts order together for my saws, a 2nd port for the 592 is on that list. Did you clean out the factory port or just go big on the 2nd one? Have you found the RBS filter to be worth any power or just for “better” filtration (I’m on the east coast, bark dust isn’t wrecking my filters like it appears to do out west)
I think RB does a better job on the finer stuff in long dry cutting, without worrying about maintenance a lot ,

vrex

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Makes sense.

On the mm, did you clean out the factory port? Or just add the 2nd?