Larger Sprocket = Hotter running saw??

Redbull661

661 hoarder (BlueBallz)
Local time
4:09 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
So now that I have this thermocouple up and working. A question I wondered about was if running a larger sprocket really made a difference in how hot the saw would run.

Tree Monkey 661
3 new RSK chains
36" bar

2d9cx80.jpg

I was going to do short bar 7pin to 10pin. But with these #s I don't see the point. Case closed for me. heh

Attachments

• 9-8-7 temp.jpg
    9-8-7 temp.jpg
    15.3 KB · Views: 34

MattG

Chainosaurus Rex
Local time
10:09 AM
User ID
Reaction score
A bigger sprocket means higher load on the engine. It's like going up a hill in a higher gear.

So, yeah, a bigger sprocket will probably mean engine works harder, so perhaps hotter, all else being equal.

Wilhelm

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
11:09 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
So 8 pin is the cut time sweet spot for the given setup.

Temperature wise it doesn't seem to matter much which is actually interesting.

It would be interesting to see clutch temps with different pin sizes, would give an idea of how much slippage a larger sprocket might cause.

Redbull661

661 hoarder (BlueBallz)
Local time
4:09 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Where do you even come up with these ideas?

2yjsb2a.jpg

So 8 pin is the cut time sweet spot for the given setup.

- usually 9pin is fastest with Stihl RS. But I was using Stihl RS"K" chain which has a smaller raker and more open gullet.

- I'm gonna try 404 vs 3/8 next...

t5565t.jpg

Last edited:

Wilhelm

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
There shouldn't be any. What difference would it make?
Didn't mean anything bad with my post!

Was just thinking longevity and tear&wear.

I bought my PS-7310 looking like this
DSC03487.JPG
And my PS-7300 came in at a much worse condition, will receive a whole new clutch assembly.

I know that in my case the slippage damage was due to misuse & operator stupidity!

huskihl

Muh fingers look really big
GoldMember
Local time
5:09 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
There shouldn't be any. What difference would it make?
Ever felt a clutch drum immediately after cutting? They must slip a little because they're hotter than anything else in the vicinity. I'd think it would be hotter with a larger sprocket given the lower rpm

Wilhelm

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Ever felt a clutch drum immediately after cutting? They must slip a little because they're hotter than anything else in the vicinity. I'd think it would be hotter with a larger sprocket given the lower rpm
Exactly my thoughts!
Thank You.

trooney

Admitted Woodaholic
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I wanna know when I take a dump why it sticks to the *s-wordter and leaves skid marks then sometimes it doesn't.

Will you test it ?

Your *a-hole is like a chain bar. It all depends on your diet. You eat greasy food the day before, the grease acts as a lubricant and the shat slides out nice and doesnt stick to the shatter because of the lubricating properties of the grease. Now you eat something like vegetables, especially broccolli and cheese, watch out for that combo, it acts like a magnet to the shatter bowl, sticks to everything in site. And you should see what it does to your bowels...Jesus Lord Almighty!!!! Tears it up. Hope I helped you out Ryan. The findings are about to be published in the NEJM. Studys been going on now for some time....

sawmikaze

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Your *a-hole is like a chain bar. It all depends on your diet. You eat greasy food the day before, the grease acts as a lubricant and the shat slides out nice and doesnt stick to the shatter because of the lubricating properties of the grease. Now you eat something like vegetables, especially broccolli and cheese, watch out for that combo, it acts like a magnet to the shatter bowl, sticks to everything in site. And you should see what it does to your bowels...Jesus Lord Almighty!!!! Tears it up. Hope I helped you out Ryan. The findings are about to be published in the NEJM. Studys been going on now for some time....

At what temperature ?

And was it tree monkeyed ?