Kiwi chit chat

Darryll

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
10:54 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Taranaki, This site seems to have died in the arss a bit. No one discussing porting or anything much.

Kiwioilboiler

346 Pic Examiner
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Taranaki, This site seems to have died in the arss a bit. No one discussing porting or anything much.
Yeah I dunno mate. I guess new models come out pretty infrequently, and new saws are expensive to grind on, especially if you muck it up.
Probably not much more to learn on all the old faithful targets.
Was that your self ported 395 maybe for sale on TM recently?

Darryll

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Yep. That got shipped off to a land clearing guy in Auckland today. The 660 is doing better than I expected it too. That's a bloody good saw actually who ever gets that will be very happy. Just finished porting a 375 cylinder now I'll put that together tomorrow. Bit keen to see how that turns out. It's a very different approach to my usual recipe. The 51.4mm OEM kit is pretty wide of the mark for porting. I got there in the end with the numbers I wanted but I removed more material than I was hoping. It did give me plenty of room to try something new though. It might be a ripper or it might be average. Either way I'll most likely sell it as I'm building a brand new one from scratch and I don't think I need 2 of them.

Darryll

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Good to hear. So a few guys in NZ are interested in ported stuff then?

Yer the thing with the 395 was it really stomped! When I run my new 592 against it the 395 slaughtered it. I think I made a mistake and should have brought a new 395 as I intended to do when I went in the shop. Somehow I ended up walking out with the 592. There is a lot to like about the 592 and it is without a doubt the most powerful stock saw I have ever run but it aint a 395. Anyhow I panicked a bit thinking I might be giving a way my 395 so I decided to keep it and leave the 42 inch bar on it. After I pulled it several guys got in touch and one of them pried it from me. He is a good bugger and all his mates run Stihl at work and I have no doubt he gets a bit of ribbing. He's got the last laugh now that 395 will eat them all and I don't care what Stihl it is. I hope he has a lot of fun with it. The only thing I warned him was it is running a good amount of compression and needs to be kept on the rich side when it's working it's guts out. The thing cleaned up could hit 15600 rpm on the taco with a 32 inch bar fitted. It was my personal saw and I went all out building that.

Rogee

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The 592 definitely has big shoes to fill to equal a 395 . Are you interested in porting work or is it only for your own saws

Darryll

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Happy to do a few here and there, I have no intention of making a business out of it. It's a bit of a time suck. I did 2 395 back to back a month or so ago and they worked out about 8hrs each I guess. I have a bloody good recipe for the 395,390,372 I have built a couple of wicked 353 using a Meteor cylinder but I'm not sure what's going on with Meteor it seems these days they are just repackaged Hyway to me so that maybe off the list now.
I traded a 372 for the 660 on TM now to setup my jigs etc to port the 660. But as I said on TM the Meteor cylinder had great numbers in stock form and it run pretty much as I expected it to. It is the snappiest saw in the shed at the moment and it does make good power but a stock 395 will out cut it with a 32 inch bar by a small margin. In small wood it might be a different story. The 660 has a 95 Ex roof. It will rev to the moon and back. Anyhow I never bothered with it. It was the saw in the shed that never got any attention and always went. My other saws get pulled down and revisited etc and then a job comes up and sometimes the 660 was the only saw still in one piece lol.

I can tell you straight off the cuff the 592 is a better saw than a stock 395. Part of the reason I brought it was to work out how to port it. I wasn't a big fan of the outboard clutch on the 395 the chain tensioner compounded the issue but the power head proved the test of time. I'm thinking I will buy a new 395 if I can sell this 375 for decent money. It was bloody awesome to have the 395 and 660 on site when breaking down big old mac's and pines. That said if this 375 makes the kind of power I hope it will I won't need to.

Kiwioilboiler

346 Pic Examiner
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Evening guys,
Been on hunt for OEM 372xp cylinder for ages but not a peep.
Anyone have or know of one interested to sell ex NZ ??
Hello mate.
Nah nothing in my boxes sorry. 372 values are through the floor though. You might find a whole saw for 300 something dollar's.

Lnk

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
6:54 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Just read through this thread, you kiwis are a funny bunch. So a saw can not be sold in NZ without a functioning brake? Also, that thing on the handle is also mandatory? I feel bad for you guys. Sorry for the interruption.

Jethro 2t sniffer

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Just read through this thread, you kiwis are a funny bunch. So a saw can not be sold in NZ without a functioning brake? Also, that thing on the handle is also mandatory? I feel bad for you guys. Sorry for the interruption.

It just can't be sold new or trade me bell ends are scared they will get in the poo if someone gets smoked by a saw that had no brake and sold on there site. The mit thing pretty sure on ecan or doc land is only if no brake. That's from a firewood bundy's point of view anyway. I guess if your working for a company than its their rules

Good to hear. So a few guys in NZ are interested in ported stuff then?

I'm waiting on a piston I've made my timing wheel and then me and my dremel are going to have a crack at a 288. Pure virgin. Not after wild gains but just like to have a go n learn. I've got a 266 and 162 I'd like to warm up also

The 395 seems plenty enough as is but maybe I'll be hooked by then n have a go. Just cutting firewood as a side gig. My buddy also has 395 288 266 so be good to beat his I guess. Yet to pry his spare 272 off him (he wants my 262 stuff 🤔

Darryll

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
It just can't be sold new or trade me bell ends are scared they will get in the poo if someone gets smoked by a saw that had no brake and sold on there site. The mit thing pretty sure on ecan or doc land is only if no brake. That's from a firewood bundy's point of view anyway. I guess if your working for a company than its their rules

I'm waiting on a piston I've made my timing wheel and then me and my dremel are going to have a crack at a 288. Pure virgin. Not after wild gains but just like to have a go n learn. I've got a 266 and 162 I'd like to warm up also

The 395 seems plenty enough as is but maybe I'll be hooked by then n have a go. Just cutting firewood as a side gig. My buddy also has 395 288 266 so be good to beat his I guess. Yet to pry his spare 272 off him (he wants my 262 stuff 🤔
Good stuff get after it. In the beginning I did a little bit and the saw went better. So I did a bit more and the saw went better again, so I did a bit more and killed it. Then I killed several chines junk cylinders. I believed it was all about making everything big. Its not, in fact it will go slower.

If I can give you some advice don't carve up an OEM cylinder go to the farmer tec web site and buy them there. They are total junk but for about $50.00 who cares. Use a diamond bur on the plating, Chamfer all cut port plating and rub it down with 400 wet and dry. That will give it a fighting chance. If you can cut the base in a lath close your squish up to .5mm. This will lower your intake. Do not go wild on the intake in fact just leave it stock. The lower transfers need a small amount of widening but don't touch the upper transfers. The exhaust is were the power is in this mod. Do not raise it just widen it too say 60-63% you can go to 65% pretty safe and try and keep the stock shape. Because you have widened the exhaust you have effectively increased your port time area this will have the effect of off setting the little bit of port time you lost decking the cylinder and likely increase it. Your intake has also been lowered so it too has been increased that's why you don't really need to do too much to that. The upper transfers have also lost a bit of timing but it won't matter much and if you don't have a right angle hand piece don't go near them. I know it does not seem very exciting to do so little but I'd say that you will be very surprised how much better that goes.

The 395 has some serious potential. They are my favorite saw.

Jethro 2t sniffer

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Good stuff get after it. In the beginning I did a little bit and the saw went better. So I did a bit more and the saw went better again, so I did a bit more and killed it. Then I killed several chines junk cylinders. I believed it was all about making everything big. Its not, in fact it will go slower.

If I can give you some advice don't carve up an OEM cylinder go to the farmer tec web site and buy them there. They are total junk but for about $50.00 who cares. Use a diamond bur on the plating, Chamfer all cut port plating and rub it down with 400 wet and dry. That will give it a fighting chance. If you can cut the base in a lath close your squish up to .5mm. This will lower your intake. Do not go wild on the intake in fact just leave it stock. The lower transfers need a small amount of widening but don't touch the upper transfers. The exhaust is were the power is in this mod. Do not raise it just widen it too say 60-63% you can go to 65% pretty safe and try and keep the stock shape. Because you have widened the exhaust you have effectively increased your port time area this will have the effect of off setting the little bit of port time you lost decking the cylinder and likely increase it. Your intake has also been lowered so it too has been increased that's why you don't really need to do too much to that. The upper transfers have also lost a bit of timing but it won't matter much and if you don't have a right angle hand piece don't go near them. I know it does not seem very exciting to do so little but I'd say that you will be very surprised how much better that goes.

The 395 has some serious potential. They are my favorite saw.

Awesome 👌

I do have a few lathes at work but was hoping base delete would get me close enough and then had planned on lifting the exhaust a little. A good dude on here did a lot of reading n searching about the 288 (he still needs 1) 100 120 80 are the magic numbers that seem to be popular.

Still waiting on piston before I can have a play n learn how to time a saw.

I love my 395. Got it for a few hours cutting wood for a mate. Was parked up by an old boy who karked it. He had two and my 1 was parts saw because it stripped a couple cover screw holes out and had its air cleaner pinched. Strong as hasn't done alot really.

I cut the we tag out of the standard deflector and cut 3 gills infront of it and seemed to wake it up a little (or just sound cool)😎 either way all my saws get muffler treatments

My poulan 4000 muffler 492539-c54848b4d79456555204c74d8e0e80d8.jpeg.jpg

What do ya do for some simple learner gains with the 395?

Such a savage beast standard. Got a real aggressive raker setting a 9 pin and a 24. Wicked pine log setup. Terrible chain for felling though 😕. It's interesting how hard it revs for a big saw

Reactions: Lnk

Darryll

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Awesome 👌

I do have a few lathes at work but was hoping base delete would get me close enough and then had planned on lifting the exhaust a little. A good dude on here did a lot of reading n searching about the 288 (he still needs 1) 100 120 80 are the magic numbers that seem to be popular.

Still waiting on piston before I can have a play n learn how to time a saw.

I love my 395. Got it for a few hours cutting wood for a mate. Was parked up by an old boy who karked it. He had two and my 1 was parts saw because it stripped a couple cover screw holes out and had its air cleaner pinched. Strong as hasn't done alot really.

I cut the we tag out of the standard deflector and cut 3 gills infront of it and seemed to wake it up a little (or just sound cool)😎 either way all my saws get muffler treatments

My poulan 4000 muffler

What do ya do for some simple learner gains with the 395?

Such a savage beast standard. Got a real aggressive raker setting a 9 pin and a 24. Wicked pine log setup. Terrible chain for felling though 😕. It's interesting how hard it revs for a big saw
Yes the 395 can rev quite well. Std they are EX 100. I don't know the 288 at all really but I've been told they run well so I assume they are similar too the 395. What I suggested works to get things moving but they are not optimized numbers. I just know from experience that if you are not sure why you are doing something then there is a chance it will go backwards. If you stick to the numbers others have given you or what I just suggested you will be safe and its pretty easy to do. I would not cut the intake down to 80 if I were you just incase you really get the bug and want to go all in with a squish cut etc because then your intake will end up too low. If that is not a possibility then those numbers are fine.

It get's more involved when we start cutting squish bands and then we want to correct the ports which are all too low. Once you need to raise transfers things get more complex.

Nice muffler mod. How does she run?