High Quality Chainsaw Bars Husqvarna Toys

Is running picco on a ported 261 a mistake?

RI Chevy

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
1:23 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I have run 3/8 and .325 on my MOFO 261cm.
They both cut well. I prefer to run .325 chain on my 50cc saws. I run an 8 pin rim. The .325 chain keeps the saw in the power band a bit better. BUT I also do some voodoo on my .325 chains. They cut well!
I just did not want to get into another bar/chain combination for my saws.

RI Chevy

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
That's a lot of work for a tenth or 2 in the cant...[emoji2957]

Who needs more than this? A 325 chain that I tried to square up.

And a Carlton chain that initially cut terrible, but has since been dialed in a bit better.

All running 36:1 fuel mix.

Last edited:

Billy Currie

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The depth gauges on the 76LP look bent or twisted a bit.

That is how they look from the factory, but yeah, I see what you are looking at.

I had a small stash of NOS 76LP chain loops. I gave one loop away in the raffle for the girl that lost her fingers in the log splitter last year. I have only a couple left.

RI Chevy

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I got it Billy. Lol.
If you or anyone has a real use for it let me know. I just use full chisel work chain...
We can swap out.

Billy Currie

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
There is a lot of work in a chain, yes. But, how bad would you like to win? That is the question. This is a chain that you would not run on a work saw for sure.

Wilhelm

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
7:23 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

chipper1

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I absolutely frigging love picco chain on my 241. It cuts damn near as fast as 325 on my 261 before porting.

I've been waiting on the new narrow kerf 325 chain stihl is releasing, but stihl is dicking around and not releasing it in the US, for now anyway.

I'm starting to wonder... why don't I just convert my MMWS to picco? I've read it dulls faster, doesn't clear chips as well, blah blah. It cuts a narrower path through the wood and has a fundamental advantage over anything wider. And I don't tend to have long days with the saw.

Should I give it a try?
So did you do anything yet, it's been days already lol.
I like picco chain a lot and have it on a mm 261. Not because it cuts faster, but less mess on a clients yard, the chips are very easy do hit with a backpack blower and watch them disappear. I also run it on my ported 241 and like it a lot.
Seems most guys dont want to have a bunch of different files and chain sizes around. For me I find it makes it much easier to know what I'm looking for. When I see a 325 chain I can pick it up and tell its for a 16 or 18" bar and tjose go with the small mount bars for the little huskys, the 3/8 goes on the 20+ bars and large mounts, the picco is for all the smaller saws with the exception of the 261, but they are all easy to separate by length. If I didn't run the pole saw/200/201/193 I'd probably consider changing the 4300 and the 241 over to 325 but its not a big deal either way for me, if I have chains of a certain size and saws set up for them, I run them.
I don't think most of the cutting gains are as big as some want to make them out to be if your chains are set up well for the saw. Picco and 325nk or standard I find to be smoother and more enjoyable to run when dealing with small limbs on a smaller saw(50cc or less).
Curious what you decide and the result you have. As was said in the first response, give it a try and see if you like it.

RI Chevy

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I just file my .325 to make it cut like 3/8s. [emoji6]
Already narrow kerfed.
Poor man's 3/8nk

RI Chevy

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Nice Keith! I in fact did do a 325 square conversion.
But I round file to get my .325 to cut like 3/8. Lots of testing. Just never really posted it.

.325 square cut real nice. I posted the vid in here on my 261cm.

Lightning Performance

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
So did you do anything yet, it's been days already lol.
I like picco chain a lot and have it on a mm 261. Not because it cuts faster, but less mess on a clients yard, the chips are very easy do hit with a backpack blower and watch them disappear. I also run it on my ported 241 and like it a lot.
Seems most guys dont want to have a bunch of different files and chain sizes around. For me I find it makes it much easier to know what I'm looking for. When I see a 325 chain I can pick it up and tell its for a 16 or 18" bar and tjose go with the small mount bars for the little huskys, the 3/8 goes on the 20+ bars and large mounts, the picco is for all the smaller saws with the exception of the 261, but they are all easy to separate by length. If I didn't run the pole saw/200/201/193 I'd probably consider changing the 4300 and the 241 over to 325 but its not a big deal either way for me, if I have chains of a certain size and saws set up for them, I run them.
I don't think most of the cutting gains are as big as some want to make them out to be if your chains are set up well for the saw. Picco and 325nk or standard I find to be smoother and more enjoyable to run when dealing with small limbs on a smaller saw(50cc or less).
Curious what you decide and the result you have. As was said in the first response, give it a try and see if you like it.
Tldr

Gave all that up. Just went and learned all the chain from 1/4" - 1/2". All better now.
I still hate 325 chain