Here's some of the final port work.
18-L.jpg

19-L.jpg

19-L.jpg

21-L.jpg

22-L.jpg

23-L.jpg

24-L.jpg

OK, I'm probably going to catch some flack for this ugly grinding, but oh well. It's the inside of the muffler and I'm not sure how you'd make it pretty anyway. I suppose bead blasting would help, but I don't have a sand blaster. Fire away! Lol :)

I pitch my tent in the "Just let it flow" camp. I am not of the opinion that there is any performance tuning to these muffler. I believe it's all for sound and decibel control. I simply want it to exit the saw as fast and easily as possible. I could be wrong, but that's how I do it.
25-L.jpg

26-L.jpg

27-L.jpg

Muffler fixed exactly as I tried to describe in another thread!!!

Let’s see it rip wood

jacob j.

Lord of Cargo Pants
GoldMember
Local time
6:45 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Were you able to get numbers where you wanted on this saw? Some saws i heard dont without adding material to port/s. Interesting saws. Hope it runs great. Thanks for the thread

Brad said he's going to fill the bore with JB Weld and start over.

blsnelling

Friend of the Riff Raff
Local time
9:45 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Were you able to get numbers where you wanted on this saw? Some saws i heard dont without adding material to port/s. Interesting saws. Hope it runs great. Thanks for the thread
Not to ruffle any feathers, but I'm not a fan of putting epoxy inside my saws. The intake on this saw is at 88°. That's without altering the port at all, although the cylinder has been lowered.

After machine work/Before porting
Exhaust - 108°
Transfers - 122°/124°
Intake - 88°
After Porting
Exhaust - 105° and widened to 60% of bore
Transfers - 122°/124° leveled and widened slightly
Intake - 88° only smooth and the interior roof of the port reshaped

blsnelling

Friend of the Riff Raff
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The saw feels amazingly torquey. This wood is just awful, especially if you're trying to time the cuts. It doesn't show what I feel. It will take bar length wood to make this saw shine. All excuses aside, it does run very well. I may go back in and raise the exhaust a couple more degrees to see if I can pick up some more RPMs.

blsnelling

Friend of the Riff Raff
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
So, I'm at the following.

Exhaust - 105° and widened to 60% of bore
Transfers - 122°/124° leveled and widened slightly
Intake - 88° only smooth and the interior roof of the port reshaped

I'm considering taking the exhaust up to 102°. What I'm less sure about is whether to keep the added blowdown, or go back to the short 14°/16° of factory blowdown. One option is to taper the piston crown to get the port timing I want. If the saw likes it, I can replace the piston and grind it into the cylinder.

Thoughts? Opinions?