Chief Cat Herder
Staff member
GoldMember
Local time
10:03 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I'm gonna start off by saying how much I appreciate this forum.....and I wanna tip my hat to @Gentleman and to our admin @exCanuck

These guys are the two that make the place possible. I just herd the cats. And......I don't always do that well. Much depends upon my mood. LOL

Some of you may have noticed that we have a couple of new moderators. The Builder's Review forum is moderated by @Definitive Dave, and the Safety Section is moderated by @David Young. These guys also have the ability to moderate the rest of the forum.....remove spam.....etc.

Both of these sections are setup in a way that all posts must be approved before they are posted. The Builder's Review section for obvious reasons, and the Safety Section for another reason. In that area we were hoping to encourage more people to share near misses and close calls. If they know that every post like that will get dog piled by the "Safety Police" they won't be inclined to post. Now I'm sure some of you have made a post in either of these areas and seen them post immediately. That simply means a mod was online that saw your post and approved it right then. I assure you Every Post Must Be Approved. There will also be times when an approved post is removed later. Sometimes we might approve a non-relevant post before we have had our coffee. It's gonna happen......we are just human.

Now.......I also wanna tip my hat to our members. A lot of you guys lived thru AS imploding, and you watch in horror thinking we might end up doing the same thing.....yet you are still here. Let me assure you, this place will not suffer that fate. Yes we have our struggles, and crazy stuff happens. But when things start going off the rails, it's you.....our members that sit things right. You can always approach me or any of our Staff and call us out. We make mistakes. We have bad days. We are over worked. We sometimes need your help. At least that is the case with me.

Now........to finally get down to the subject at hand.

We have had some suggestions from our members.

@Stump Shot suggested a Customer Review Section where builders could post about their experiences with there customers. Good.....Bad.....or even ugly I suppose.

@Marshy suggested a Section where a guy wanting say some machine work done could post a thread asking for someone to do that. Or if he was just wanting a jug ported, but would reassemble it himself. A muffler modded.....

I would like to see a Review Section for general deals. You bought a turd......here you call out the seller. Or.....you sold a good runner, and the buyer is a macaroon that's making you cray cray.

I'd like to ask Steve, and Wade to chime in on their ideas......

This would also be a great place for any and all members to ask about....well, anything.

jacob j.

Lord of Cargo Pants
GoldMember
Local time
8:03 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I think a review section for regular buying/trading/selling is a great idea. I think that if people know they can post an opinion or a review of a deal gone bad/gone good
without an extensive backlash, then more people will post.

Mastermind

Chief Cat Herder
Staff member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I think a review section for regular buying/trading/selling is a great idea. I think that if people know they can post an opinion or a review of a deal gone bad/gone good

I agree.

Any thoughts on the other ideas? Be honest. Please. Adding new sections should never be taken lightly. We already have a chit load. LOL

Marshy

WFO Cutting
Local time
11:03 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Well, basically my idea was to have a "Seeking Builder/Porter" sub form within the classifieds for people to post "wanted" threads seeking a builder.

The OP might have something simple they want done like cut the base and squish on a cheap AM cylinder or they might want a full blown port & build beyond a woods port or anything in between and are seeking input in builder.

I see it as a way for the community to direct people towards the reputable builders. But also might muster up business for the smaller builder that have emerged in the last couple of years.

I'd expect it would be interactive and people would chime in and post links to build threads or videos their saws from their favorite builders.

Might even see builders recommend eachother for specific work because they know someone has a better recipe or whatever.

It might be the proper forum to openly discuss if a saw or builder did not cut the mustard. It would definitely be good for positive feedback on a builder too!

If the site doesnt think it's worth while then thats ok too. Nothing gained, nothing lost.

Thanks for all your work behind the scenes @Mastermind

Last edited:

Mastermind

Chief Cat Herder
Staff member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Well, basically my idea was to have a "Seeking Builder/Porter" sub form within the classifieds for people to post "wanted" threads seeking a builder.

The OP might have something simple they want done like cut the base and squish on a cheap AM cylinder or they might want a full blown port & build beyond a woods port or anything in between and are seeking input in builder.

I see it as a way for the community to direct people towards the reputable builders. But also might muster up business for the smaller builder that have emerged in the last couple of years.

I'd expect it would be interactive and people would chime in and post links to build threads or videos their saws from their favorite builders.

Might even see builders recommend eachother for specific work because they know someone has a better recipe or whatever.

It might be the proper forum to openly discuss if a saw or builder did not cut the mustard. It would definitely be good to head transactions gone good too!

If the site doesnt think it's worth while then thats ok too. Nothing gained, nothing lost.

Thanks for all your work behind the scenes @Mastermind

I like it.

shadco

Ban Hammer Custodian
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Ok builders telling the troof about customers? :eeeeek:

So we would have to be reasonable? Could we make it non retroactive. ;)

Seeking machine work, great idea. Can’t find the thumbs up emoji.

Desperately seeking builder? Would pics of us an hands and knees help?

All good idears from a newb POV.

Mastermind

Chief Cat Herder
Staff member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I'd like to see guys put ideas out there and not receive a tongue lashing that turns into a dicksbigger competition.

Well......this an online forum. No accountability. You can bad mouth anyone without fear of a black eye. There's never gonna be a way to stop the biggerdickery.

cus_deluxe

terms of service violator
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
i like the idea of some kind of feedback mechanism, something like ebay comes to mind. if you can click on a persons screen name, amd along with all the other info available, there could be a “score” sorts, based on feedback from transactions. idk how it could be done or if thats even possible, but doing it that way might prevent some pissing matches in public. sort of like the “rep” thing, except useful haha.

Stump Shot

Disciple of Monkey's
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Well let me start off by saying I'm concerned that @Marshy idea could turn builders against one another, being it's a competition style of he who gets there the fastest gets the mostest. I for one am not going to be playing that game.

This started me thinking of the recent builders review and I can't help but feel that without a counterpart to it it's a one way street and we all know there's two ways for everything. So if the customer does a bad review on a builders work for example the builder can do a review of the costumer and give his side without getting into a train wreck pissing match. This could also be a good review for a great customer. This way a builder can decide whether or not to take a job just the same as the customer to give it in the first place.
Same goes for saw sales, lots of folks buying saws in the classifieds and are having them sent straight to a builder without ever having laid eyes on them.
So to my line of thinking in a big circle kinda way, you cant keep everything going around smoothly by only keeping tabs of one cog on the wheel and let the rest fall off. If there's accountability for all the cogs things will stay running smooth and for a long, long time.
Fortunately all I would have is good reviews for my customers. In fact I just personally called and commended a seller on how well of a job he did on the saw and passed that on to the buyer as well. Only they are the only ones that know that.
I too am glad to be a part of this just as @Mastermind is and these are only some thought I had, none of it is any kind of a crisis by any means, if you can use some of it, great, if it's too big a pain in da duppa then that's fine too. I'm going to keep on keeping on either way. :)

Definitive Dave

Piss Rev Mafia Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Maybe make this a subforum of the for sale area? just a thought

Wonkydonkey

Plastic member
Local time
4:03 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I think this is a good debate, , I know I’ve read a few porters referring to other porters as the person wanting work done was closer to some one else, eg drive and drop of, chat etc.

I was thinking more of porters, offering what they can do or can’t do/will not do, running/lead times, and where they are. Then if they can do what someone is asking, and are willing in a reasonable lead times all is good. And a rough price list but tbc, on job

what I would not want to see is all the porters wasting there time chasing work, when someone is just fishing for prices and not really wanting the work done.

I know I’m miles away over the pond. And that’s a cost that others have from around the globe have factored in to the job. @Brewz has irrc

Deets066

AKA Deetsey
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
i like the idea of some kind of feedback mechanism, something like ebay comes to mind. if you can click on a persons screen name, amd along with all the other info available, there could be a “score” sorts, based on feedback from transactions. idk how it could be done or if thats even possible, but doing it that way might prevent some pissing matches in public. sort of like the “rep” thing, except useful haha.
Rep for you sir