High Quality Chainsaw Bars Husqvarna Toys

I fell in love all over again

StandInTheFire

Sheriff of Mad Woman Gulch
Local time
5:52 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Depending on the bar size, sprocket size and wood diameter/density, the 272 may cut faster than the 288 in "average" firewood. But the 288 won't slow down as soon or as much, apples to apples.

Well hell, I guess if I am really feeling pissy I can always bust out the old 394. That old girl gets *s-word done. Every time.;)

Dolmar Junkie

Not interested in rehab, just more Saws...
Local time
6:52 AM
User ID
Reaction score
NO, that's a ported 9010, 056, 076 or 084...
How do you feel about your 9010? I have been trying to decide/find one to add to my collection.Do you know how it compares to a 390 or 660 ? It's just one of those Itch's that I gotta scratch...

Locust Cutter

Air Force Redneck
Local time
6:52 AM
User ID
Reaction score
I like it. It has a lot more toque than either of them. Both the 390 and 660 can be built noticeably faster, (especially the 390 and I WILL have one sooner or later), for 30" and smaller wood. In 36" wood the Dolmar will start to pull away with a good chain, Beyond that the Dolmar wins by virtue of torque and bar oiling capacity as it keeps on pulling. It really depends on what your cutting style/preference(s) are. If you want a quick handling hot-rod with personality, get the 390. If you want a bit more torque and Labrador Retriever reliability, the 660. If you want a draft horse, not fast, but all day power/stamina, find a nice 9010 or 395xp (though a 395xp can be made to be fast). I've thought about selling mine, but I'm in it too' much to sell it and recoup my investment. Plus it's dead reliable and the easiest starting saw that I have. I will likely be converting it to a .404 stumping rig soon with a 34-36" bar. It will pull it just fine.

The do have some quirks; you don't get full power until they're fully warmed to operational temp. You also should not adjust the carb until at temp as you will get a false setting. I don't like advancing the timing on them and will be backing mine off soon as they start popping under load and I don't like that. They're also big and heavy enough to be a 6-cube saw. But they're pretty smooth for an older design have very nice bucking spikes and will oil a bar like the Exxon Valdez oiled the Puget Sound.

Hope that helps.

Lightning Performance

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
7:52 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Out of 8 work saws, 4 are ported (9010, 372xp, 262xp, 346xp), 3 are muffler modded (562xp, 550xp, MS261) and 1 is bone stock (MS201T). The 562 and 550 will see grinders is due time. The 201 will get the low buck "wake-up" done (timing, exhaust, re-tune) and the 261 we'll see as my little brother will eventually inherit it and isn't the most experienced with a saw, let alone a ported version.... I will end up with two more in either a ported 390xp or 395xp and an older 100cc+ monster and then I'll likely be done.

Could I live with stock saws, yes. Would it be nearly as entertaining and fun as ported ones? NO! I like the additional throttle response and chain speed of the modded versions, though the best mod for any saw is a clean air filter and a sharp chain.
Here is a guy that likes chain speed. Look at his line up. He backs them up with a long bar all day long saw. Nice lineup for firewood cutting. He needs the stump saw to imo.

Cracker Boy

Fl cracker
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Srihl ms361 is tough to beat good anti vibe has quad transfers a muffler mod a base delete and a little timing advance very strong runner and i still run my 036 thats woods ported alot with dual port muffler saws been around aling time they port nice too.

Lightning Performance

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Stihl ms361 is tough to beat good anti vibe has quad transfers a muffler mod a base delete and a little timing advance very strong runner.
Yup. One will be going to TN in that exact trim and one ported with no machine work same trim. My 361S might be done. The saw Stihl should have built by did not.