I fell in love all over again

srb08

Doesn't play well with others
Local time
9:58 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Since Sept, I've been helping a friend clear several acres of brush and saplings around some property he bought. He has a Poulan 5020 and I was using my Stihl 211. Neither of the two, is a fist full of fun.
Yesterday, I finally got a chance to block up some logs I'd had sitting since May. I grabbed my 20" Husq 562xp, an 18" Stihl 261 and a 24" Stihl 460. The majority of the logs were 16"-28" in diameter. I started off with the 562 and never took either of the Stihls out of the bed of the Gator. I fell in love with the 562 all over again.
I can't imagine a better, stock, all around firewood saw than the 562. It just does everything well. It has plenty of power for bucking, is light and has a great anti vibration system. As long as I keep the chain out of the dirt, It'll keep a smile on my face for hours.

I realize that one guys opinion, is just that, one guys opinion.
If not the 562, what is the perfect firewood saw?

Edit: I just stumbled across the "Firewood Saw" thread. Ignore my question, don't want to start any fights.

Last edited:

srb08

Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I had some initial issues with my 2260, but after all those have been ironed out and mm had his way with the saw its a keeper.
Having lived a sheltered life, I've never run a ported saw.
I cut firewood, 6-10 cords a year, and occasionally have to clear a fallen tree from the mile of old logging road, that serves as my driveway.
When I wrote the original post, I referenced stock saws, because that's all I have experience with.
Now I'm starting to wonder, just how much better than my stock 562, is a woods ported 562.
I see a lot of ported saws for sale here and the old place. Most of them look like they haven't seen a lot of use. Are the majority of the ported saws out there shelf Queens or do a lot of guys actually use them?
If the difference in performance would save wear and tear on my back, from bending over, I wouldn't have any reservations about buying one......or more.
If I decide to buy a ported saw, which one should I buy?
Do some saws respond better to porting than others?

When I bought my 562, I looked at and wanted a 2260 but the only Jonsered dealer close to me is a real Jackoff and I refuse to do business with him.
Sounds like you really like your ported 2260.

Tundra

Super OPE Member
Local time
10:58 PM
User ID
Reaction score
It was originally ported and the 2013 saw had alot of manf defects. Carb and bearing failure. I got those things fixed and put a new stock p&c on it. Being used to it ported it was agonizing to run. Mm gave it some love and I can't say enough about the saw again, but I'm now spoiled on ported saws and the only stock one I have is a 550 I just use for limbing.

Tundra

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
. Srb this is with a race chain in 8 x 8 poplar so take that into consideration, but no way a stock 60cc saw runs like that.

Cigmaker

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Having lived a sheltered life, I've never run a ported saw.
I cut firewood, 6-10 cords a year, and occasionally have to clear a fallen tree from the mile of old logging road, that serves as my driveway.
When I wrote the original post, I referenced stock saws, because that's all I have experience with.
Now I'm starting to wonder, just how much better than my stock 562, is a woods ported 562.
I see a lot of ported saws for sale here and the old place. Most of them look like they haven't seen a lot of use. Are the majority of the ported saws out there shelf Queens or do a lot of guys actually use them?
If the difference in performance would save wear and tear on my back, from bending over, I wouldn't have any reservations about buying one......or more.
If I decide to buy a ported saw, which one should I buy?
Do some saws respond better to porting than others?

When I bought my 562, I looked at and wanted a 2260 but the only Jonsered dealer close to me is a real Jackoff and I refuse to do business with him.
Sounds like you really like your ported 2260.

I can only tell you my experience with my ported saw so take it for what it's worth. Like you I'm a firewood hack and cut about the same amount you do but don't burn near that much. My old trusty ms360 was a great saw stock, but after having it ported I'll never have another stock saw again. The feeling is just like yes this is how this thang is supposed to cut wood lol. I've since purchased another saw brand new and I'm having it ported before I ever touched the thing.

srb08

Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I can only tell you my experience with my ported saw so take it for what it's worth. Like you I'm a firewood hack and cut about the same amount you do but don't burn near that much. My old trusty ms360 was a great saw stock, but after having it ported I'll never have another stock saw again. The feeling is just like yes this is how this thang is supposed to cut wood lol.
That's what I'm afraid of.

What new saw are you having ported?

Locust Cutter

Air Force Redneck
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Out of 8 work saws, 4 are ported (9010, 372xp, 262xp, 346xp), 3 are muffler modded (562xp, 550xp, MS261) and 1 is bone stock (MS201T). The 562 and 550 will see grinders is due time. The 201 will get the low buck "wake-up" done (timing, exhaust, re-tune) and the 261 we'll see as my little brother will eventually inherit it and isn't the most experienced with a saw, let alone a ported version.... I will end up with two more in either a ported 390xp or 395xp and an older 100cc+ monster and then I'll likely be done.

Could I live with stock saws, yes. Would it be nearly as entertaining and fun as ported ones? NO! I like the additional throttle response and chain speed of the modded versions, though the best mod for any saw is a clean air filter and a sharp chain.

StandInTheFire

Sheriff of Mad Woman Gulch
Local time
8:58 PM
User ID
Reaction score
I guess for blocking up firewood I prefer to jump up into the 70cc range. Currently, an old ported 272 with 84 drive links of 3/8 chain is my firewood saw of choice. I do love the 60 cc class for all around utility, it's just that I have the patience of a house fly and don't like to spend all day in the log pile bucking. Hoping to get an old 288 pieced back together here and see how THAT works chunking up logs....

Locust Cutter

Air Force Redneck
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Depending on the bar size, sprocket size and wood diameter/density, the 272 may cut faster than the 288 in "average" firewood. But the 288 won't slow down as soon or as much, apples to apples.

CoreyB

Yep I am your neighborhood coffee man
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I guess for blocking up firewood I prefer to jump up into the 70cc range. Currently, an old ported 272 with 84 drive links of 3/8 chain is my firewood saw of choice. I do love the 60 cc class for all around utility, it's just that I have the patience of a house fly and don't like to spend all day in the log pile bucking. Hoping to get an old 288 pieced back together here and see how THAT works chunking up logs....
The great thing about a 70cc saw is it is real easy to justify a smaller saw as well. Lol

CoreyB

Yep I am your neighborhood coffee man
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
My firewood saw'S lol husqvarna 357,371 stihl 036,024s. My fun small saw echo cs400, poulan 25da!
How does the echo 400 stack up to the 024? I had an 024 super I really liked.