Huztl/Farmertec 038 Kit Saw "Unpack & First Impression"

Big_6

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
7:36 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
What is the Hutzl 038m build weight compared to OEM?
How much closer to an 044 could it be?

RIDE-RED 350r

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I have an 038 Super AV in my garage right now awaiting a new $35 carb boot. I fixed that saw up for a friend of mine a year and a half ago and yes it does seem a bit chubby, but a strong runner nevertheless.

On your upcoming Husky theme, I'm betting that yes, they are worthwhile to bring back from the dead. ;)

Last edited:

bearhawk

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Hi Walt. I'd love to see a comparison video of the 036 and 038 being in the cast of characters.

Thanks to your videos I have 2 ms660 kits on the way. Funny thing is, I really don't need a chainsaw. First BRD, now CAD, what's next?

CR888

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
9:36 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Here in AU our EPA legislation is a little less bad than what the US has. Stihl Aust still sells the MS381 new on the shelves.....its quite a nice saw indeed. I am VERY interested in getting the new MS382 when it hits our shelves, it is already for sale in other parts of the globe.

jon@camano

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
4:36 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Hello all. New member and very interested in building a Farmertec saw. Have enjoyed working on all engines and have owned Stihl 056 and 038 magnum saws. My 038 was 31 years old and still running strong when I sold it. So which saw would you suggest for a first build saw? Have been favoring a 038 clone but have also looked at the o66 and the 360 kits. Do the smaller saw's crankcase halves go together easier? I have a HF press. Was thinking about heating the cases in the oven when Mrs. is not here and crank in the freezer. What is a safe conservative temp for the cases? Would it be better to use a heat gun to heat up the cases? Thank you.

Jon

Mattyo

Youtube speciawist
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Lots of different ways to do it Jon, welcome to the forum.

See Walt's videos over at the youtube channel AFLEETCOMMAND ... he has lots of stuff over there on how to put these Farmertech saws together.

I have bolt for bolt vids on how to do the 660, and will be doing the 036 and 044's soon.

Here is a newer vid of a set of crank tools I've just developed to help avoid using the misses oven :)
this particular set will work for the 660, but for the smaller stihl's I'm still prototyping because the small stihls have a tiny tiny tiny flywheel side seal pocket.
this demo is on a husky 394 ...but it works on most huskys and the bigger stihls.....

best of luck however you decide to do it. you aren't gonna stop at one saw fyi :)

Adamski

Plebus Splederns
Local time
12:36 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The oil pump drive gears system looks a bit odd unless you have seen it before but it works ok. The 038 supper is a bit of a cult saw over here and the Magnum even more so . Was wondering what cylinder they have based the kit on ..61 cc ..standard 038..66.8cc supper or the Mag 72 cc?
Iv only had a 038 supper (plus a 028 supper ) through my hands , stout runner, typical Stihl ...Iv always liked the curving cover lines on this 028-048 group.

I've been running a farmertec 52mm cylinder and piston kit with caber rings on my 038 mag seen in my Avatar. I changed it to a meteor 52mm top end as I mis-measured my exhaust porting on the farmertec. Ended up porting width ways to a free port scenario. Ah well it was a dirt cheap kit. As far as they go the kits are good with a bit of fettling to remove casting flaws and softening the intake boot area as it was razor sharp.

I have never run an OEM mag but this mag with a meteor kit (which on visuals looks the same as the farmertec in geometry but finished nicer) minces my 372xp in the bigger wood. The torque on this saw with a base delete is incredible. The squish is 0.51mm, as low as I would go. Muffler modded to a triple port too.

Al Smith

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
This series,038 is my favorite of any saw Stihl ever built .Tough as nail .I have 3,an AV ,a German made 038 mag which is stock and a Brazilian mag which has been modified .

Might mention the German Mag had spent over twenty years in hard service for a tree company before I got it .I had rebuilt it two or three times prior it was given me .It probably runs as good today as it did when it was new .
The first rebuild it had literally grenaded the piston and never put a scratch ,dent nothing on the OEM Mahl cylinder .A fact I found to be amazing .