HUSQVARNA HUSQVARNA THREAD

justoldsaws

From the land downunder
Local time
3:17 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
BTW, Oregon has made Husky chain for years, though I believe they now make their own (or at least some) in Sweden.

Yes apparently the x-cut is the first chain made by Husqvarna, other husqvarna chain was just rebranded oregon.
I just bought a loop of 3/8 Oregon 75, shouldnt have even used the chinese chain i was given, just wasted my time.
Dont even bother using this crap.
2019-03-12 13.02.35.jpg

ammoaddict

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
1:17 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I just found this thread. I read most of it. I liked all the pictures. I am a Husqvarna fan. I have 3 Husqvarna saws and 2 blowers. I have a 50 that I bought new in 1985, a new 550xp that I just got and a huztl 365/372 kit that I built. I will post some pics when I get time.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

lehman live edge slab

Live Action
Local time
12:17 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Working on some small husky saws one of each of the 50,51,55. The 51 has a noisy bearing so no big deal there the 50 was scored but cylinder will clean up fine. Now the problem is the 55 it says rancher on the rewind so I figured it was an open port 46mm like the others but turns out it’s a mahle 44mm closed port and the piston let go. Will any other open window 44mm husky piston fit? Can’t seem to find any aftermarket ones. Hyway sells an open window 55 piston but it says 46mm in the sales specs

tickbitintn

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Working on some small husky saws one of each of the 50,51,55. The 51 has a noisy bearing so no big deal there the 50 was scored but cylinder will clean up fine. Now the problem is the 55 it says rancher on the rewind so I figured it was an open port 46mm like the others but turns out it’s a mahle 44mm closed port and the piston let go. Will any other open window 44mm husky piston fit? Can’t seem to find any aftermarket ones. Hyway sells an open window 55 piston but it says 46mm in the sales specs
Little red Barn I think is only source for the 44mm closed port piston.
I used one a couple years back and it is still running as far as I know.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

lehman live edge slab

Live Action
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Thank you, didn’t know one was available even thought I might need to see if a 246 piston could be used somehow

PogoInTheWoods

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The closed port 55's can be identified a few different ways. The most convenient way is usually being the top cover sticker (when present) indicating 51cc's (closed port) vs. 53cc's for open port versions. There are distinct external differences between the cylinders with the first pic being a closed port and the second an open port. The recoil sticker has also generated some identification conversation regarding where and if 'Air Injection' is printed in a certain place a certain way, but I would hardly hang my hat on that to identify which top end is on the saw. And as @tickbitintn says, LRB is the only place I've seen aftermarket 44mm windowed pistons for the closed port cylinders. Kinda surprising there aren't more sources since closed port 55's aren't nearly as rare as people seem to think. I've rebuilt a dozen or so and at least 4 or 5 were closed port saws. That's 25~30%. Now if you want to replace the whole top end with a high quality option, Meteor makes a 'quasi' closed port kit that's very nice. That said, I've also recently seen OEM open port kits from HLS for $85 and Hyway has one of the 'closed port' versions in that price range as well. All things being equal price-wise, I'd go with the Meteor. Unfortunately, the Meteor is around $140 last time I checked. I've used a Hyway and needed to trim the piston skirts to keep them from hitting the crank and there was excessive play in the wrist pin bearing between the bosses..., as in a lot. Decent enough kit otherwise, but I wouldn't use another one just for those reasons. I see the Greek is offering a Hyway kit, but with a Meteor piston which is what I ended up using courtesy of HLS exchanging one for the Hyway.

DSC03914.JPG

DSC03913.JPG

1209171353.jpg

1209171349.jpg

lehman live edge slab

Live Action
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I have two good open port cylinders so I can make the saws run anyway but wanted one closed and one open for comparison is all. Maybe I’ll buy the lrb piston later or just hang on to cylinder and see if I can come across a good used oem piston at a later date.

lehman live edge slab

Live Action
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I’m sure a non windowed 44 mm piston wouldn’t run for crap in a closed port cylinder either even if it would actually fit.

lehman live edge slab

Live Action
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
How many Husqvarna's require the worm gear puller? Never thought there would be such a tool and now I’m to the point I need it so I can change the crank seals. If not many saws need it I’ll go to the dealer and pay them to pull the gear but if quite a few saws need it I’ll spend the money on it.

ammoaddict

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
How many Husqvarna's require the worm gear puller? Never thought there would be such a tool and now I’m to the point I need it so I can change the crank seals. If not many saws need it I’ll go to the dealer and pay them to pull the gear but if quite a few saws need it I’ll spend the money on it.
I know my 50 does, and probably the 51 as well.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

tickbitintn

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Can make one cheap with a couple pipe fittings...
I look for a link....

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

lehman live edge slab

Live Action
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
That whole series does I have a 50,51 and 55 tore down right now. Was just wondering about any other series saw like an of the 2 or 3 series.