Dr. Richard Cranium
GoldMember
Local time
4:36 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Very nice job boys. I feel left out :(.

Too bad you're 3 hours away. I woulda gladly turned that base down for you to correct your squish.

I went from Dirko to 518. Got tired of the Dirko hardening at the tube tip and always fighting with it.

I haven't had any issues with running the saw asap with either sealant. It would take a ton of pressure to blow anything that thickness though a .001 thick gap IMHO.

malk315

Running Saws for Therapy
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Very nice job boys. I feel left out :(.

Too bad you're 3 hours away. I woulda gladly turned that base down for you to correct your squish.

I went from Dirko to 518. Got tired of the Dirko hardening at the tube tip and always fighting with it.

I haven't had any issues with running the saw asap with either sealant. It would take a ton of pressure to blow anything that thickness though a .001 thick gap IMHO.
Mornin Al! The saw owner is a wiz in our machine shop at my work... We have a decent lathe and he turns stuff all the time. Any idea how much to take off? Til squish is 0.020 to 0.030? Would it change transfer timing such that ports should be modified or just go with cut base? This is where I still have a lotta learning to do :)

Yup... Wishin you were only an hour away Instead of 3. Damn that long island sound. Good chance I'll be visiting east setucket for work at some point not too far from you I can check out your saw OR

See ya!

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

drf256

Dr. Richard Cranium
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Mornin Al! The saw owner is a wiz in our machine shop at my work... We have a decent lathe and he turns stuff all the time. Any idea how much to take off? Til squish is 0.020 to 0.030? Would it change transfer timing such that ports should be modified or just go with cut base? This is where I still have a lotta learning to do :)

Yup... Wishin you were only an hour away Instead of 3. Damn that long island sound. Good chance I'll be visiting east setucket for work at some point not too far from you I can check out your saw OR

See ya!

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
Definitely shoot me a text when you'll be down here.

I've never seen dropping a jug to set squish hurt a saw, but there are many here with more experience than I for certain.

You'll gain a bit of grunt from a lower exhaust, a bit more intake, and the transfers will move the least because they are more center bore located than the other ports. All good things, especially if you've opened the muffler.

paragonbuilder

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Definitely shoot me a text when you'll be down here.

I've never seen dropping a jug to set squish hurt a saw, but there are many here with more experience than I for certain.

You'll gain a bit of grunt from a lower exhaust, a bit more intake, and the transfers will move the least because they are more center bore located than the other ports. All good things, especially if you've opened the muffler.

Am I seeing this wrong Al? Wouldn't the transfers move the most being in the center of the bore?

malk315

Running Saws for Therapy
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Dan I'm thinking what Al means is the top of the transfers are moved down and so are the bottom of the transfers so the top edge loses some and the bottom edge gains some and it keeps net change more even. The exhaust the top and bottom edge of exhaust port (the whole port opening) moves down relative to top/bottom of piston so no top edge loss / bottom edge gain to even things out like transfers? The intake the top and bottom edges move down so you get more intake is the idea. I could be way way off here so I'm happy to be schooled by you guys who do the mods to these things. I need a poly-carbonate clear piston and cylinder to stare at everything to help make sense of all of this :nut:

drf256

Dr. Richard Cranium
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Am I seeing this wrong Al? Wouldn't the transfers move the most being in the center of the bore?
They all move the exact same physical amount when you drop a jug. You drop it .020, the ports move .020.

Degrees are a different story though. At TDC and BDC, during dwell, there are multiple degrees of crank movement with no piston movement.

Then piston speed follows a SINE wave pattern. Its fastest at 90* and slowest at 0/180*.

So being the mid bore piston speed is the fastest, it moves more distance per degree.

So the closer the a port is to mid bore, the less a physical movement will cause a major degree movement.

I got it a bit backwards. As a 120* transfer is closer to 180* than the 100* exhaust roof, the transfers will move MORE degrees than the exhaust roof.

malk315

Running Saws for Therapy
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Ahhhh... Yes. When on the "steep" versus "flatter" part of the sine wave physical movement will affect things more. Got it. Center of the stroke can be thought of as the "steep" part of the sine wave and top and bottom of the stroke as the flatter parts of the curve when they turn around and accelerate the other way. Got it. Thanks Al.

The linear motors for my day job we change the phase of a sine wave driven in our motor coils relative to where an array of magnets are above the coils (that we determine the position with hall effect sensors down to microns of accuracy). When the wave is at different phase angles under the magnets you get force forward / backward / straight up and down (which straight up or down is not what you want in the linear motor world!). When moving vehicles along the magnetic wave is pushing the vehicle like a surfer gets forward motion when riding waves.

paragonbuilder

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
They all move the exact same physical amount when you drop a jug. You drop it .020, the ports move .020.

Degrees are a different story though. At TDC and BDC, during dwell, there are multiple degrees of crank movement with no piston movement.

Then piston speed follows a SINE wave pattern. Its fastest at 90* and slowest at 0/180*.

So being the mid bore piston speed is the fastest, it moves more distance per degree.

So the closer the a port is to mid bore, the less a physical movement will cause a major degree movement.

I got it a bit backwards. As a 120* transfer is closer to 180* than the 100* exhaust roof, the transfers will move MORE degrees than the exhaust roof.

That's what I thought. Just checked my 262 notes.
Stock is 103.5/116/69
Machine cut 110.5/128/70.5

TomsToy55

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
You kiddin? That saw went together like clockwork yesterday.
Thanks again Dan for letting me come to your shop and get that thing put together.

Tom the owner is all excited to get the saw back and have at it. Be really curious to see how it compares to the 350 he's been running.

Eric (@malk315) just gave me back the saw this morning. So excited to run it! Thank you guys so much for rebuilding it for me, I really appreciate it.