High Quality Chainsaw Bars Husqvarna Toys

How to square file

big t double

You can call me Teddy Eastwood.....
Local time
3:07 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Here's the reply I got from our rep regarding the stihl files...

Hello Ted,

That’s the original square ground file STIHL offered going way back to the 70’s. We haven’t had it for several years, (probably 6 to 8 years), and it was replaced by the triangular shape file for square ground that we have now. Sorry we can’t help on that one.

I'm still searching for the part number though...it could be possible that some other distributors still have some on the shelf.

mdavlee

Hillbilly grinder
Local time
4:07 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
If we can get the part number I'll have my dealer chase it Friday when I go get some parts. They've been pretty good at having leftover stuff or finding older parts.

t4driller

Daddy Day Care
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Great effort fellas, just checked my dealer. ...they looked at me like I had a booger hanging. Heck, maybe I did
The 2 dealers that are very close to me look at me like that all the time. Drives me nuts when you ask for something and they say they never heard of it. The dealer that has the files is about 1 1/2 hrs away but we'll worth the drive.

Stihl036

3% Neanderthal
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Just read through this whole thread.

Great!!!

Here's a .pdf on the USG square grind attachment.

I don't have photos on a working computer at the moment but I'll get some.

Attachments

• USG Square Ground Chain Sharpening Attachment.pdf
    561 KB · Views: 55

Icepick69

Fart knocker extraordinaire.
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Just read through this whole thread.

Great!!!

Here's a .pdf on the USG square grind attachment.

I don't have photos on a working computer at the moment but I'll get some.
Do you know where we could buy one?

Cut4fun

Redneck Chainsaw Repair
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I was buying stihl branded double bevel square files in 07.
Old stock no clue but wasnt a problem getting them.

Last new ones I had left I sold not to long ago.

Pic to show the stihl ones and say made in Brazil

squarefiles 001.JPG

Cut4fun

Redneck Chainsaw Repair
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
@Cut4fun what square guide are you referencing?

Dont remember the post. :confused:

What was folks talking about before hand?

My WAG, I used to use and try different guides as I could not free hand for chit. Not enough patience.
But I had good results with ATOP square guide. Could fly through doing a chain. But if you can free hand with accuracy cutter after cutter its not needed.

Stihl036

3% Neanderthal
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Do you know where we could buy one?

No idea where to buy one. Mine is not for sale. I would be glad to bring it to a GTG sometime to show folks how it looks and functions. I've had mine since maybe 1990, I forget exactly. I hate to admit it but I usually just round file right on the saw as it is so fast and convenient. I'll be doing some more square filing shortly as this thread has been inspiring.

big t double

Local time
User ID
Reaction score
No idea where to buy one. Mine is not for sale. I would be glad to bring it to a GTG sometime to show folks how it looks and functions. I've had mine since maybe 1990, I forget exactly. I hate to admit it but I usually just round file right on the saw as it is so fast and convenient. I'll be doing some more square filing shortly as this thread has been inspiring.
you actually have a usg square grinder attachment?! if you could get some pics of it id love to see...or even better, some video of it in action that would be awesome.

big t double

Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I have 2 grinders.....

I do too...one is really old so I think were gonna buy a new one some time in the near future. ive wanted to try and modify the older one to make it work like the square attachment. its gotta be possible....didn't you get decent results with just using the square wheel on the regular set up?

Icepick69

Fart knocker extraordinaire.
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
If you sell it, I want it.

X 66 stang347 X

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I do too...one is really old so I think were gonna buy a new one some time in the near future. ive wanted to try and modify the older one to make it work like the square attachment. its gotta be possible....didn't you get decent results with just using the square wheel on the regular set up?

I had it tilted all crazy and got the left cutter decent but the right I was having trouble with.
6bcec2cc7a89db879dbf98b8d53cd1f0.jpg

X 66 stang347 X

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I looked at that PDF but haven't read it yet. I will at lunch. Where's the square attachment? That set up is like my older grinder. I don't have that gauge to check the rock though. I'll take a pic when I get back to the shop. The only thing I see I don't have is the dresser attachment.

Last edited:

Stihl036

3% Neanderthal
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Like I mentioned, I just yesterday read this whole thread. I saw the square grind attachment mentioned a few times. I'll take some photos but am video impaired though I do have a phone that is smarter than I am.

I just took a few photos and will be editing them and posting as fast as I can.

Here is a close up of the spring that pushes the chain holding section back into it's start position. Two photos for detail. This base section moves towards the chain for each link to be ground. Stihl USG Square Grinding attachment 002 Return spring1.jpg Stihl USG Square Grinding attachment 003 Return spring 2.jpg

Stihl036

3% Neanderthal
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Here are the two bases side by side. They show the same serial numbers but are slightly different.

Base serial numbers.jpg

Here is a side photo of the two bases. Note the beveled shoulder on the top one. Note too that the dowel is smaller in the top one. The beveled bolt is the pivot point and the dowels smaller size allows for some movement of the base towards the cutter tooth. More photos to follow.

Base differences.jpg

big t double

Local time
User ID
Reaction score
:dancer2: if you have an iPhone and know how to take videos, ill give you my number and you can text them to me and ill upload them. thanks for taking the time to do this!!!