Knife Sharpening

redneckhillbilly

Super OPE Member
Local time
12:18 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
What stones or methods are people using?
I have a Lansky 5 stone? hone? kit the kind with the guide rods and jig.

I have tried and tried and cannot get a knife thats actually sharp, I can get them pretty decent but not sharp sharp.

I am looking for any info I can get to help me get my pocket knives really sharp.

I am thinking about getting a set of whetstones and was curious if anyone had any recomendations.

also any videos or books that have good quality info, I remember my grandpa using a leather belt, I have not tried that yet, but I am going to give that a try probably tomorrow.

THANKS

Attachments

• IMG_20240205_165927028.jpg
    IMG_20240205_165927028.jpg
    114.1 KB · Views: 9

ammoaddict

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
2:18 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

I have tried and tried and cannot get a knife thats actually sharp, I can get them pretty decent but not sharp sharp.

I am looking for any info I can get to help me get my pocket knives really sharp.

I am thinking about getting a set of whetstones and was curious if anyone had any recomendations.

also any videos or books that have good quality info, I remember my grandpa using a leather belt, I have not tried that yet, but I am going to give that a try probably tomorrow.

THANKS

I have that same kit, a little time consuming but works well.

Reactions: Lnk

jakethesnake

I Am The Snake
Local time
2:18 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I’ve got a little of everything. I touch up on stones. If something is dull I use a belt sander. You can make one shave sharp pretty easy with the right belts. Have a leather belt to hone them when I’m done. Leather belt for the sander ^

redneckhillbilly

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I’ve got a little of everything. I touch up on stones. If something is dull I use a belt sander. You can make one shave sharp pretty easy with the right belts. Have a leather belt to hone them when I’m done. Leather belt for the sander ^
whats a decent brand of stones? and what grits do you recommend

Rugger007

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
1:18 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

THANKS
If you’re looking for whetstones, the Shapton Glass Stones are amazing. The Shapton Korumaku line are very nice as well, less expensive but every bit as good.
If you’re looking for a natural stone, it’s hard to beat a Belgian Coticule, or go the opposite direction and get a Japanese natural stone such as a medium hard Suita.
I have used the Lanskey set and tossed it, but I still use the DMT set which is basically the same thing but much better.
The Wicked edge is fantastic but very costly.
One I love, depending on what needs sharpening, is the Work Sharp Ken Onion Edition with the Blade Grinding attachment.

Right now I’m using a Shapton GS 1k followed by a Japanese Suita with a DMT generated slurry, followed by a nagura slurry and then it’s onto the Translucent Arkansas and the strop with CBN spray. Yes this is extreme, but it’s for my Japanese chefs knives. The everyday chef knife gets the Work Sharp and touch up’s on a ceramic honing rod.

redneckhillbilly

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I grabbed my old timer and jigged it into the kit I have and it did a lot better sharpening it that the CRKT knife I was working on earlier, I think the steel is quite a bit stronger on the CRKT knife and the Lansky kit stones dont work well with it.

I am going to stop by the library tomorrow and see what books they have on knife sharpening

Sloughfoot

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
11:18 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I use 3 Japanese (King brand) water stones ranging from medium grit (800) to fine (5k) for routine sharpening. Got a diamond stone for repairs and reshaping and a loaded strop linked below for when I want one extra sharp. The strop comes loaded coarse to fine to bare leather. I've been reloading it with a more coarse paste to start and prefer it.

Rugger007

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I really have been impressed with the Work Sharp. It’s fast, easy and turns out a shaving sharp blade.
The work sharp is very versatile. Once you add the blade grinding attachment it’s hard to beat. Very fast, easily repeatable and useable on almost anything with an edge.

Rugger007

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I use 3 Japanese (King brand) water stones ranging from medium grit (800) to fine (5k) for routine sharpening. Got a diamond stone for repairs and reshaping and a loaded strop linked below for when I want one extra sharp. The strop comes loaded coarse to fine to bare leather. I've been reloading it with a more coarse paste to start and prefer it.

I used to use the king stones, but they do need to be soaked and they wear very quickly and need constant trueing. Ceramic stones are splash and go and only need a spray bottle of water. They are also much harder, wear less and the abrasive is so consistent it leaves a very clean scratch pattern.
It also depends on the steel of your blade. Aogami Super Blue, S35VN or any other modern super steels made specifically for blades will take forever to hone on non ceramic stones.

Loony661

Stock chainsaws suck.
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I really have been impressed with the Work Sharp. It’s fast, easy and turns out a shaving sharp blade.
The work sharp is very versatile. Once you add the blade grinding attachment it’s hard to beat. Very fast, easily repeatable and useable on almost anything with an edge.
+3 on the Work Sharp. I have the Ken Onion edition and it’s fantastic. Like the others said, easy to use, repeatable, adjustable, and versatile. Buy once, cry once.

alfack

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I use the Wicked Edge. Got it at a discount through ExpertVoice. It's sort of a pain to set up, but eliminates angle change and turns out sharp blades.