How to braze a deflector on a muffler

Flying_Dutchman

Super OPE Member
Local time
8:56 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Does it matter if I get the 45% rods instead of the wire? Also how would the 5% work compared to the 15%? The only thing I've found locally so far is 5% in 1/16" rods.

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk

Fruecrue

certified hand catcher
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Does it matter if I get the 45% rods instead of the wire? Also how would the 5% work compared to the 15%? The only thing I've found locally so far is 5% in 1/16" rods.

There’s more mass in the rod over the wire and can act a bit sticky. Remember not to melt it with the torch. You want contact/ conduction from the base metal to melt the alloy. Once the rod warms up it flows nicely.

I’ve never used 5%.

Fifelaker

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The brazing sure looks much easier, and looks neater. What about the strength compared to welding? Good point Randy about the screens though. I like to have them. Don't ask me why lol.
Strength is a non issue, carbide teeth on saw blades are brazed on as you can't weld carbide.

Flying_Dutchman

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
There’s more mass in the rod over the wire and can act a bit sticky. Remember not to melt it with the torch. You want contact/ conduction from the base metal to melt the alloy. Once the rod warms up it flows nicely.

I’ve never used 5%.
Thanks for the advice! I'll order some wire and flux sometime in the next day or two.

tek9tim

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
5:56 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I'm stuck with bolt on deflectors for the most part.....gotta have a screen.

But for the guys that are ok without a screen, brazing is so much easier.

I've done a few of these where I make an H shaped hole, drill holes into the tabs that stick out (easier before you hog out the material), weld a deflector on, and screw a screen on from the inside. The deflector pictured has been in service for 11 years, and I actually stick welded it. Scrounging around found some super tiny 7018. Do what you've got to when you're in the middle of nowhere central Idaho and your oxy/acetylene tanks are still over in WA.
20211102_093129.jpg
Since I'm out west, I cut almost all of my firewood on public land where spark arrestors are required. It's automatic negligence if you start a fire without a spark arrestor, but if you start a fire and you had a spark arrestor you at least get to plead your case.

J_M____

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
For brazing stainless use Harris stay clean flux. It’s pretty nasty hydrofluoric acid, be very careful but it’s one of the only flux that will etch the stainless well

Cerberus

Cerberus the aardvark, not the hell-hound!!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Anyone know of a good deal on "kits" for doing this? I'm only looking to do about 3.5" so buying the smallest sized containers of all necessary stuff (except torches, have plenty of butane&propane torches, deflectors etc materials but none of the brazing stuff), if I buy smallest-size I'd be better off just paying someone to weld it, it seems... IE I'd spend an afternoon and well over $50 (at least) to (hopefully) end up with my 3.5" weld/braze and a whole bunch of extra brazing supplies that'd be stored-away :p

Love the idea and have a muffler I'm doing right now that'd really benefit but once i priced out everything it once again "looks more practical to just post a "$50 to someone who can do a 3" weld for me" advert on facebook" situation (and, if there, I'll just stick w/ the nuts&bolts, they're ugly but I can't justify $50 for aesthetics of my muffler!)

Cerberus

Cerberus the aardvark, not the hell-hound!!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Dave....have you tried that on a stainless steel muffler.....like an MS261?
Wow that would be HUGE to know, what materials are OK/NOT! I'd be looking to do this on my steel 660 muffler (think it's steel, maybe "pig iron" lol I don't know but it's ferrous/magnetic and heavy!), and on my 2511t stainless muffler I need to affix a "plate" (to block-off a hole entirely) so I expect it'd need to hold stronger in that case IE more pressure on it...though I guess I can just do a ton of overlap, if it is a worthwhile-expense for just 2 deflectors!

Ronie

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Anyone know of a good deal on "kits" for doing this? I'm only looking to do about 3.5" so buying the smallest sized containers of all necessary stuff (except torches, have plenty of butane&propane torches, deflectors etc materials but none of the brazing stuff), if I buy smallest-size I'd be better off just paying someone to weld it, it seems... IE I'd spend an afternoon and well over $50 (at least) to (hopefully) end up with my 3.5" weld/braze and a whole bunch of extra brazing supplies that'd be stored-away :p

Love the idea and have a muffler I'm doing right now that'd really benefit but once i priced out everything it once again "looks more practical to just post a "$50 to someone who can do a 3" weld for me" advert on facebook" situation (and, if there, I'll just stick w/ the nuts&bolts, they're ugly but I can't justify $50 for aesthetics of my muffler!)

I got my stuff from Amazon, the MAPP gas I got locally.

Screenshot from 2022-04-17 11-27-51.png Screenshot from 2022-04-17 11-27-13.png

Last edited:

Ronie

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Wow that would be HUGE to know, what materials are OK/NOT! I'd be looking to do this on my steel 660 muffler (think it's steel, maybe "pig iron" lol I don't know but it's ferrous/magnetic and heavy!), and on my 2511t stainless muffler I need to affix a "plate" (to block-off a hole entirely) so I expect it'd need to hold stronger in that case IE more pressure on it...though I guess I can just do a ton of overlap, if it is a worthwhile-expense for just 2 deflectors!
I used it on a stainless pill grinder handle a few months ago.

KIMG3088.JPG

huskihl

Muh fingers look really big
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

Ronie

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Same thing I use on stainless. Make sure it’s clean by sanding all the surfaces. For carbon steel I use bronze brazing rod because of the cost.
Can you use the bronze brazing rods with MAP, I got rid of my cutting torch and tanks years ago because I never used them and they were just taking up space.

huskihl

Muh fingers look really big
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Can you use the bronze brazing rods with MAP, I got rid of my cutting torch and tanks years ago because I never used them and they were just taking up space.
If you use the smaller rods, yes. 1/16”. But it takes quite a while to get it hot enough to melt the bronze, so it may be a better trade off using silver solder vs using up your Mapp gas I guess. With acetylene torches it melts almost instantly

Woodpecker

Sassy Madam
Staff member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
The middle of the land shaped like a hand
Country flag
Some of the hvac guys are starting to move toward oxy/mapp torches for brazing linesets. Should be able to get a torch for around 75 bucks and of course the mapp and oxy tanks are sold just about everywhere. Oxy/mapp will get you to about 5k degrees. Moar gooder than just Mapp alone.

when I took hvac classes we learned with both a traditional torch and Oxy/mapp. We had to be able to braze a hole closed in a pop can so it was water tight to pass the final exam.

Basher

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
9:56 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I do a good bit of copper plumbing and own several B tanks, they work very well for silver solder.