How to braze a deflector on a muffler

Fruecrue

certified hand catcher
Local time
4:38 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
For those of you with tig capabilities, you can tig braze stainless with silicon bronze filler....you can also join dissimilar metals with it too. Silver solder sure is handy though!
Doc Al likes tig brazing his mufflers.
I am set up to tig here, but I see no reason to as brazing is so simple and fast.

whitesnake

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The brazing sure looks much easier, and looks neater. What about the strength compared to welding? Good point Randy about the screens though. I like to have them. Don't ask me why lol.

Fruecrue

certified hand catcher
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The brazing sure looks much easier, and looks neater. What about the strength compared to welding? Good point Randy about the screens though. I like to have them. Don't ask me why lol.
Strength comparison isn’t really necessary, you’ll tear up the base metal before a failure on either one.
If you’re worried about high temperature failures, consider that the particular alloy I use doesn’t begin to soften until about 1,225 degrees, so... kiss your piston goodbye before that ever happens.

Last edited:

Skeans1

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
1:38 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I'm stuck with bolt on deflectors for the most part.....gotta have a screen.

But for the guys that are ok without a screen, brazing is so much easier.

Some of our screens in our brazed deflector mufflers were make to unscrew in the past.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

drf256

Dr. Richard Cranium
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Tig brazing with SiBr is pretty easy. No flux involved. I’d venture to say it’s easier than the brazing method above and requires no flux.

It does request argon and equipment though. Filler is much cheaper than silver solder.

The silver solder does look nicer though. I’d like to try the silver on stainless because the SiBr doesn’t come out great on them.

1B3B2FF4-48FC-4376-BFFA-7CAD7263585F.jpeg 31BB8178-10F6-483D-BA73-EBC0AC8D34E7.jpeg

Last edited: