High Quality Chainsaw Bars Husqvarna Toys

How much wood are you burning..?

Viper21

Super OPE Member
Local time
5:24 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Dunno, I’m way behind this year. Been splitting on the weekends and burning, don’t really keep track.

Hauled about 4 loads in like this so far

Don't feel like the Lone Ranger, I'm pretty behind as well. Have been really busy the last few months. For the past 20 years, I never even started to cut firewood till October. I would usually have enough to get me going, & could stay ahead of it pretty easily.

Now, burning considerably more wood, I'm a little behind. I plan on harvesting quite a bit over the next few weeks, & get ahead of the curve....

RI Chevy

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Definitely gotta stay ahead of it. I am already working on next year and the year after. Lol

sixonetonoffun

Super OPE Member
Local time
4:24 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I have 1 large topless hollow oak I'd like to get cut n split for a buffer. Shouldn't need it for this year but it would burn if needed. Probably 1 1/2 cord 2 if I can get the widow maker it dropped into the live oak next to it.

Got a whopping cord split n stacked for next season. Nice mix of cherry and white oak with a little punky piss elm I shoulda left in the slough.
img20181129-174519.jpg

RI Chevy

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Wow. Good deal Keith.

RI Chevy

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Maybe. All the oak up here is straight grained. Splits pretty easy for me. If its a crotch or funky piece I just noodle them.

Viper21

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Maybe. All the oak up here is straight grained. Splits pretty easy for me. If its a crotch or funky piece I just noodle them.
Well, round these parts....hahaha... the red oak, & black oak are great for hand splittin, even green. The white oak, which seems to burn the hottest btw, is much more stringy. Especially if it's still got some green, or water content to it. Don't get me wrong, it can, & does get hand split from time to time. It's just not my favorite to hand split.

RI Chevy

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Ahh. Gotcha. [emoji106]

angelo c

Coal Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Curious to how much wood y'all are burning. I'm specifically interested in those with similar setups, & or scenarios.

I'm running a Heatmor 200 series (28" x 36" firebox). It is heating my roughly 2000 sq ft home, roughly 1100 sq ft garage, & my hot water. My stove is in a shed, & relatively close to the house (25' roughly), & the garage is a hike, nearly 300' away.

I replaced an indoor stove with this unit. I'm liking the constant heat throughout the house, & especially love the heated garage...! She's gobbling the wood up though. Curious to others' experience, & or wood consumption.

I'm burning primarily oak, with some other hardwoods mixed in; hickory, locust, wild cherry, etc... but would guess 75% red oak. I fired her up, first week of October but, it's been colder than usual lately. Teens night before last. To date, I estimate, I've burned 2.5 - 3 cords so far. Although, she's gotten a lot hungrier as the temps have dropped. Through most of October, I would load once a day. A solid twice a day now, with the occasional top off, when I'm around, & thinking about it.

I'll be burning till the end of April, or first part of May. I figured going into this winter, I'd burn 8-10 cord. Depending how cold it gets, my estimate might be a little light.....

What's your consumption vs. set up...?

a lot depends on the Pex line length and insulating quality of the install as well as the insulation of the home/shop...also the location of the home ( VA compared to VT) if you are cold...so is your house. Meaning winds and temps make the outside of the house cold which transfers to the inside and you :)... my question is why not keep the stove/insert and use it for some 'romance heat' and burn every thing else in the outdoor wood sucker/boiler. ? Also seasoned wood will cut a cord or two from your 10-15 questimate for sure. but if you got a wood sucker...well ya might as well feed it ANY wood ya got...for now.