High Quality Chainsaw Bars Husqvarna Toys

How much wood are you burning..?

Viper21

Super OPE Member
Local time
11:17 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Curious to how much wood y'all are burning. I'm specifically interested in those with similar setups, & or scenarios.

I'm running a Heatmor 200 series (28" x 36" firebox). It is heating my roughly 2000 sq ft home, roughly 1100 sq ft garage, & my hot water. My stove is in a shed, & relatively close to the house (25' roughly), & the garage is a hike, nearly 300' away.

I replaced an indoor stove with this unit. I'm liking the constant heat throughout the house, & especially love the heated garage...! She's gobbling the wood up though. Curious to others' experience, & or wood consumption.

I'm burning primarily oak, with some other hardwoods mixed in; hickory, locust, wild cherry, etc... but would guess 75% red oak. I fired her up, first week of October but, it's been colder than usual lately. Teens night before last. To date, I estimate, I've burned 2.5 - 3 cords so far. Although, she's gotten a lot hungrier as the temps have dropped. Through most of October, I would load once a day. A solid twice a day now, with the occasional top off, when I'm around, & thinking about it.

I'll be burning till the end of April, or first part of May. I figured going into this winter, I'd burn 8-10 cord. Depending how cold it gets, my estimate might be a little light.....

What's your consumption vs. set up...?

sixonetonoffun

Super OPE Member
Local time
10:17 AM
User ID
Reaction score
I have a small inside woodstove that burns 16 hrs a day since Oct 1. I am at 2 cords pretty much exactly. If your getting heat in all that square footage with slightly more wood...

I need to reconsider an OWB. Granted not apples to apples my sticks of wood max @17.5" X 3-6".

Viper21

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I have a small inside woodstove that burns 16 hrs a day since Oct 1. I am at 2 cords pretty much exactly. If your getting heat in all that square footage with slightly more wood...

I need to reconsider an OWB. Granted not apples to apples my sticks of wood max @17.5" X 3-6".
Well, more I think about it.... I'm closer to 3 cord so far. I'm going to keep better track from here on, as I want to know for future reference. My prediction now, is 10-12 total.

I had a small indoor stove before. It had a 20" max, I would usually cut 18"s. In previous winters, I w0uld burn 4-5 cords with it. It wasn't the ideal set up as, it would be toasty in the living room/dining room, & cold in the far ends of the house. So bad, I would have to have radiant space heaters, & such. Bottom line, it wasn't very comfortable overall, & I had no heat in my garage.

I didn't like paying for the new system but, so far.... I dig the comfort of it, so does Mrs. Viper. My first electric bills are down compared to previous years, & the last couple years were more mild compared to this year. Overall, I'm much happier, as the older I get, the more important comfort becomes...lol.

One thing I didn't figure on when changing setups.... I do miss the warm stove in the living room when coming in from the cold. It was nice to go sit by it, & warm up quickly. Definitely has been a fair trade off though....

Stevetheboatguy

mountain dew and ibuprofen please
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Think we have burned about two cords of shorts and uglys so far this year. Haven't burned any good wood yet.

Steven

Edit: homemade owb 250-300gal natural draft heating 2500sq house and domestic hot water, three car attached garage and a 20x40ish work building. Lit the fire on the 18th of October. Hasn't gone out since, probably won't until mid-late April.

Last edited:

Deets066

AKA Deetsey
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Curious to how much wood y'all are burning. I'm specifically interested in those with similar setups, & or scenarios.

I'm running a Heatmor 200 series (28" x 36" firebox). It is heating my roughly 2000 sq ft home, roughly 1100 sq ft garage, & my hot water. My stove is in a shed, & relatively close to the house (25' roughly), & the garage is a hike, nearly 300' away.

I replaced an indoor stove with this unit. I'm liking the constant heat throughout the house, & especially love the heated garage...! She's gobbling the wood up though. Curious to others' experience, & or wood consumption.

I'm burning primarily oak, with some other hardwoods mixed in; hickory, locust, wild cherry, etc... but would guess 75% red oak. I fired her up, first week of October but, it's been colder than usual lately. Teens night before last. To date, I estimate, I've burned 2.5 - 3 cords so far. Although, she's gotten a lot hungrier as the temps have dropped. Through most of October, I would load once a day. A solid twice a day now, with the occasional top off, when I'm around, & thinking about it.

I'll be burning till the end of April, or first part of May. I figured going into this winter, I'd burn 8-10 cord. Depending how cold it gets, my estimate might be a little light.....

What's your consumption vs. set up...?
How many gallon is your owb? Sounds like a smaller unit, either way seems about right on wood consumption

Ryan Browne

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
That's about what I hear from most guys with OWBs, somewhere in the 10-15 cord range. They're pretty popular in my area. I don't think very many people are actually burning seasoned wood, or anything close to it. I imagine that would cut consumption by some amount. I think many of them also burn whatever random wood they've got, so a fair amount of softwood. Way different amount of useable BTUs per cord of wet poplar versus dry oak.

Deets066

AKA Deetsey
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
That's about what I hear from most guys with OWBs, somewhere in the 10-15 cord range. They're pretty popular in my area. I don't think very many people are actually burning seasoned wood, or anything close to it. I imagine that would cut consumption by some amount. I think many of them also burn whatever random wood they've got, so a fair amount of softwood. Way different amount of useable BTUs per cord of wet poplar versus dry oak.
Spot on, I burn anything because I go through quite a bit

Viper21

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
How many gallon is your owb? Sounds like a smaller unit, either way seems about right on wood consumption
Think I read it holds 140 gallons. It's a 200 series Heatmor. I know they sell a smaller one, & bigger ones. One I got is supposed to be good for up to 5000 sq ft.

I looked at Heatmor, Taylor, & custom built. Know people with all 3. Hopefully, I got the right one... time will tell :)

Deets066

AKA Deetsey
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Think I read it holds 140 gallons. It's a 200 series Heatmor. I know they sell a smaller one, & bigger ones. One I got is supposed to be good for up to 5000 sq ft.

I looked at Heatmor, Taylor, & custom built. Know people with all 3. Hopefully, I got the right one... time will tell :)
140 gallon could heat 5,000 sq ft. But no hot water or added buildings. And it wouldn’t be to efficient at that.
Your at about your max, which is just fine. Just gotta keep the wood to it

Viper21

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
140 gallon could heat 5,000 sq ft. But no hot water or added buildings. And it wouldn’t be to efficient at that.
Your at about your max, which is just fine. Just gotta keep the wood to it
I'm digging it so far. The only negative I can come up with is, it's a little more work, as it eats more wood. However, for the time being, I don't mind. I enjoy running my chainsaw :cool: It all keeps me in shape during the winter months.
:coleman:

RI Chevy

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
How often do you have to add wood to those?

Viper21

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Like Deets said, they're all different. Lots of variables involved.

With my setup, early season, I would load it once a day. Lately we've been pretty cold, & into the teens/low 20's at night. I've been loading twice a day. Usually after my first cup of coffee in the morning, & before I go to bed at night. The colder it is, the hungrier she gets :)

I'm burning mostly oak, although it's not all seasoned. Some is, some ain't. I'll throw the occasional stick of pine in it but, mostly oak. My last cutting had some locust, & wild cherry in it.

Stevetheboatguy

mountain dew and ibuprofen please
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

Temp plays a factor but not as much as the wind for me. I live on top of a hill and 30mph winds are the norm. On those days I throw the worst half rotted and junk wood in. Some of it isn't even fit for a bonfire. But it will burn no prob because I don't have a cat or anything to plug up and then I can burn my elm and hickory when I need the real btu's.

Like deets said. Lots of variables. And every setup and situation is different.

Just keep throwing the wood in and see what works for you. It took a while but I think I have the curve figured oit for my setup.

Steven

Deets066

AKA Deetsey
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I’ve had mine for 9 years now and it runs straight for 6 months outta the year. Warmer months I try to burn all my junk wood. Helps having seasoned hard wood when it’s way cold. I never fill more than once a day, usually if it’s in the 30’s I fill about every 36 hours or just don’t pack it full and fill every afternoon

RI Chevy

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Wow Keith. You must have a big stove then? Only fill it once a day?

Hardhack

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I have an older CB I fill it once a day until the temps. get below 10*F then I load it twice a day. Keeps the house at 70* no problem.
Colder temps. I burn good hardwood when it is a little warmer I burn anything including Pine it is hard to keep it burning so I mix it with Poplar or soft Maple.