Homemade Reduced Weight Bar

mdavlee

Hillbilly grinder
Local time
3:55 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
It's thin but hardened steel at least near the rails. I'd be nervous trying to punch a hole through it. I've punched 3/4" holes in A36 plate with some of them.

USMC615

Fapper Fi
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

Big_6

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I don't know of the quality of the Relton Annular Cutters, but Hougen is superior to the brands I am familiar with.

Pig fat works well as lube.

There used to be an Industrail tooling company that sold it in a roll similar to the old cardboard drill sleeves.
Where can I find a pig or a farm for that matter.
No farms nearby ,,, unless I go to the TN gtg!!!
Yeah man!

Birdman
Group buy on the drill?

Jon1212

Birch! Please.....
Local time
1:55 PM
User ID
Reaction score
I took the advice of @USMC615 , and picked up a 3" grinder yesterday. It's one of the cheap Harbor Freight models, but the wheel is vertical, so it seems more conducive to doing long cuts, and keeping square.

I already tried it out a little….I bought one of the 20" CN40 404 063 bars from LCS for $22. I lengthened the slot so I can use it with an adapter on my 288 or 395 with a 404-8pin. I figure it will be a hoot to run next to someone blocking firewood with MS291 or 455 Rancher……LOL!

Philbert

Chainsaw Enthusiast
Local time
2:55 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Don't forget yer checkbook, or credit card with a sizeable amount available to spend when on the hunt for a good mag drill...'bout like hunting a core drill...expensive stuff.
You don't want to buy one, you want to know somebody that already has one!

Philbert

CR888

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
5:55 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I think when making a RW bar one needs to think what kind of cutting he intends to use it for when done and how much flex is acceptable for intended use. You can remove a lot of stock for a short limbing/cookie cutter without a problem. A longer felling bar, strength and minimal flex is far more important. IME its only when the bar is used horizontal that flex is noticed.

Jon1212

Birch! Please.....
Local time
1:55 PM
User ID
Reaction score
I think when making a RW bar one needs to think what kind of cutting he intends to use it for when done and how much flex is acceptable for intended use. You can remove a lot of stock for a short limbing/cookie cutter without a problem. A longer felling bar, strength and minimal flex is far more important. IME its only when the bar is used horizontal that flex is noticed.

Great post.

I like the lightweight of my Oregon RW bar, and in bucking cuts, and limbing it handles very well, but as you mentioned, once a high flexing bar is turned horizontally, the flex seems to increase, or at least that is my perception.
This is why, after @junkman asked about measuring flex of the bar I was modifying, I realized that weight savings isn't everything.
I believe my first attempt turned out better than I had hoped it would. It's crude to a certain degree, but it has promise, and should be very functional.

I'm within 1 1/2 ounces of my Oregon RW, but with almost 33% less flex.

hseII

AKA - Karenberly's Husband
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Great post.

I like the lightweight of my Oregon RW bar, and in bucking cuts, and limbing it handles very well, but as you mentioned, once a high flexing bar is turned horizontally, the flex seems to increase, or at least that is my perception.
This is why, after @junkman asked about measuring flex of the bar I was modifying, I realized that weight savings isn't everything.
I believe my first attempt turned out better than I had hoped it would. It's crude to a certain degree, but it has promise, and should be very functional.

I'm within 1 1/2 ounces of my Oregon RW, but with almost 33% less flex.

I like your BA.