High Quality Chainsaw Bars Husqvarna Toys

Homelite WIZ - full restore/rebuild

TJ the Chainsaw Mechanic

Old Homelites rule!
Local time
5:15 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Another Awesome job TJ, you might look into that two part epoxy clear in the spray can, its expensive, but it is impervious to gas and oil
Will do, if I restore the 990 I'll be using the better stuff on it as that is one saw I will want to be able to run at a gtg. lol

countryhog

BTDT
Local time
7:15 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Looking good. Sad yer not gonna run it but i unnerstand. Rebuilt a C5 couple years back. Looked decent. Ran it and the gas did a j o b on the paint. Guessing the clear wasnt impervious. What clear you using?

TJ the Chainsaw Mechanic

Old Homelites rule!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Looking good. Sad yer not gonna run it but i unnerstand. Rebuilt a C5 couple years back. Looked decent. Ran it and the gas did a j o b on the paint. Guessing the clear wasnt impervious. What clear you using?
Using duplicolor as of now, but the next project I'll be using Spraymax 2k.

redlight066

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
8:15 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Absolutely beautiful restoration TJ. I have one of these at work hanging over my bench. What did you use to seal the fuel tank? I tore the saw apart last fall. The gas in it was about 10 years old as best as anyone could remember. Stunk up the shop something awful. This thread is great motivation to pull it down and finish it up. I've been at Schnieder tree care for a little over two years. Tough to find a day to do "fun" projects. Thanks Rich

TJ the Chainsaw Mechanic

Old Homelites rule!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Absolutely beautiful restoration TJ. I have one of these at work hanging over my bench. What did you use to seal the fuel tank? I tore the saw apart last fall. The gas in it was about 10 years old as best as anyone could remember. Stunk up the shop something awful. This thread is great motivation to pull it down and finish it up. I've been at Schnieder tree care for a little over two years. Tough to find a day to do "fun" projects. Thanks Rich
Luckily on this one the seams are still fine. Tank was dry, but did smell something awful. I left acetone in it for awhile to eat away some of the gunk and then flushed it and blasted it out. Reseal the fuel outlet with a new gasket and that was it. There's a really good tank liner out there, but I can't remember the name.

Boomer 87

Super OPE Member
Local time
7:15 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Northern is a real good tank liner used it a few times on saw tanks