HELP: Stihl chain adjustment screw access is blocked

livemusic

Super OPE Member
Local time
10:17 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
This is an ms200 (rear handle) and I can't freely turn the chain tension adjustment screw because there is a steel plate thingamajig turned into the hole where you insert the screwdriver. I don't recall having the problem in the past but I have not run it for maybe a year other than cranking it every once in awhile just to run it some. Seems to me this metal part is made into this plastic clutch cover during manufacture such that you can't replace it other than buy a whole clutch cover? How could I turn this? The edges appear to be boogered up into the plastic such that it is not going to move without a trick. Or else I just booger it up beyond hope. Is there a solution? I did try to move it but got nowhere. Pics attached. Front image, I can't figure out how to make it display correctly, need to turn the image 90 degrees so it would be 'right side up.'

First image is front view, 2nd is back view.

Attachments

• Stihl ms200 adjustment screw front.jpg
    Stihl ms200 adjustment screw front.jpg
    116 KB · Views: 32
  • Stihl ms200 adjustment screw back.jpg
    Stihl ms200 adjustment screw back.jpg
    116.4 KB · Views: 32
Last edited:

mitos

Active OPE Member
Local time
5:17 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Hi,
If it was mine I would buy a new clutch cover, because even though you turn it in the right place it will turn again in this position.

If you still want to turn it in right position, I would put a screw with a hex head in and a nut on other side (an option would be also to use some serrated washers on both sides) then tight it. Use two socket wrenches from each side and try to turn it around.

Knots

OPE Member
Local time
11:17 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
This is an ms200 (rear handle) and I can't freely turn the chain tension adjustment screw because there is a steel plate thingamajig turned into the hole where you insert the screwdriver. I don't recall having the problem in the past but I have not run it for maybe a year other than cranking it every once in awhile just to run it some. Seems to me this metal part is made into this plastic clutch cover during manufacture such that you can't replace it other than buy a whole clutch cover? How could I turn this? The edges appear to be boogered up into the plastic such that it is not going to move without a trick. Or else I just booger it up beyond hope. Is there a solution? I did try to move it but got nowhere. Pics attached. Front image, I can't figure out how to make it show correctly, need to turn it 90 degrees.

First image is front view, 2nd is back view.

Brad Button

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
8:17 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
If you look at the metal piece you are talking about it has 2 flat sides, it has gotten turned. See if you can turn it so that one of the flat sides is pointing down so it is right above your adjusting screw, then you will have room to turn the adjuster. Once you have it turned use a hammer and a punch and peen the edges so it can't turn.

livemusic

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Use Dremel tool to remove portion in the way and rock-on!
I'm so thick I can't follow some of what one of the gentlemen suggest but your suggestion, I can follow that, lol. I just might do that, seems like an easy solution! I do have a dremel, maybe I have a disc or head that will cut metal. There isn't much that's in the way.

It seems weird that this happened, like Stihl's design should prohibit such movement? Beats me, I'm no engineer, obviously! It's a great saw, I look forward to using it again, I need it right now, I have bigger saws for bigger stuff but for smaller cutting, it's a nice saw and surprisingly powerful.

livemusic

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
If you look at the metal piece you are talking about it has 2 flat sides, it has gotten turned. See if you can turn it so that one of the flat sides is pointing down so it is right above your adjusting screw, then you will have room to turn the adjuster. Once you have it turned use a hammer and a punch and peen the edges so it can't turn.
Yes, that is exactly what I see but I couldn't turn it. Only way I could see to do that is hammer a screwdriver trying to push it into turning slightly. It's super snug.

Woodslasher

Teh debil
Local time
8:17 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The plastic ears that keep the metal from turning are f-ed, so I'd say get a whole new cover or it'll just keep happening.