Stihl 211 carb screw screwed up

Dustin4185

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
4:34 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Long story short, a young man from church bought a 211, threw the chain and somehow thought that the carb screws had something to do with the bar. :rolleyes: It wouldn’t run, so I met him one day to see what was up. Ultimately the LA screw was backed out and it wouldn’t idle. Got it back to somewhat running but it’s fat on the low side. During his”adjustment” he stripped the little nubs off of the L side screw. Can I Dremel a new slot in the screw or does he need to buy a new carb? Some people don’t need saws and places that sell them without manuals or tool kits shouldn’t be Stihl dealers!

DND 9000

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
10:34 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Is only the screw damaged or the carburetor housing too? If it is only the screw and nothing else on the carb, I would replace the screw through a new one.

Dustin4185

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Is only the screw damaged or the carburetor housing too? If it is only the screw and nothing else on the carb, I would replace the screw through a new one.
I believe just the screw. All my saws are bigger/pro saws with red limiters. This had a metal Phillips style head (or at least the H side does). He stripped all the nubs off, lol! I’ll try to get the saw in hand. He texted this morning and said it won’t run again. $100 says he is flooding it, especially if it is like the old 250 saws. If you pulled them one time after they popped on choke, you would flood the piss out of them.

Chips&Giggles

Active OPE Member
Local time
1:34 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Someone gave me a 211 that wouldn’t run. It ended up being a disformed intake boot. For a while I liked seeing how much work could get done with just the 211. We call it the Stihl Reserve. It’s kind of awful but gets the job done.

Attachments

• 52ADC30B-0F1B-4498-842A-7D2F3DCCBAA1.jpeg
    52ADC30B-0F1B-4498-842A-7D2F3DCCBAA1.jpeg
    146.6 KB · Views: 5

cus_deluxe

terms of service violator
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Someone gave me a 211 that wouldn’t run. It ended up being a disformed intake boot. For a while I liked seeing how much work could get done with just the 211. We call it the Stihl Reserve. It’s kind of awful but gets the job done.
ooof…steel reserve brings back unpleasant memories lol.

Dustin4185

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Well, I finally arranged to get this saw in my possession. I dremeled a slot on the screw so I can adjust it. It was all screwed up! I’ve got it to where it seems like it is tuned, but in the wood it bogs down bad with the bar buried. I know it’s only a 36cc saw, but I would expect more than that I guess. Is there a good initial setting or a good starting point on these strato carbs? Tuned the L to where it responds well off idle and then tuned the high side. I’m getting 11,500 on the tach as my highest RPM. I’m sure it has a limited coil as well. I’m out of adjustment on the H side and haven’t looked at the limiters on this carb. I prefer to leave them alone to keep him from screwing it up too bad. It does fine in 8-10” poplar and limbing. It may just be all these little saws will do.

Wood Doctor

Edwin
Local time
3:34 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Well, I finally arranged to get this saw in my possession. I dremeled a slot on the screw so I can adjust it. It was all screwed up! I’ve got it to where it seems like it is tuned, but in the wood it bogs down bad with the bar buried. I know it’s only a 36cc saw, but I would expect more than that I guess. Is there a good initial setting or a good starting point on these strato carbs? Tuned the L to where it responds well off idle and then tuned the high side. I’m getting 11,500 on the tach as my highest RPM. I’m sure it has a limited coil as well. I’m out of adjustment on the H side and haven’t looked at the limiters on this carb. I prefer to leave them alone to keep him from screwing it up too bad. It does fine in 8-10” poplar and limbing. It may just be all these little saws will do.
Now you know why I still own a Stihl 025 an an 026 PRO. I have never had any of these problems while running an 18" bar on either one. I think today that Stihl is trying to squeeze too much power out of smaller engines. Just MHO.

Dustin4185

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Now you know why I still own a Stihl 025 an an 026 PRO. I have never had any of these problems while running an 18" bar on either one. I think today that Stihl is trying to squeeze too much power out of smaller engines. Just MHO.
When he asked me about a saw recommendation, it was definitely not this saw, lol. I had a 026 I had recently went through and was in great shape. It’ll do for what he needs, but I think my Echo 2511 has more grunt, lol.