High Quality Chainsaw Bars Husqvarna Toys

Help me find the right bench grinder.

CoreyB

Yep I am your neighborhood coffee man
Local time
2:37 PM
User ID
Reaction score
I would like to get another grinder for the shop. We don't do a ton of chainsaw every week but we also have a few guys that bring in 10-15 chains at a time.
Is the Oregon 620 any better then the 511ax. We currently have 2 511.
Is there any other brands worth looking at. Not quite ready for one of the full automated machines yet.

Khntr85

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
3:37 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I agree with @icepick.....sincebyoubalready have the Oregon model with the manual vise, maybe the 620 would be good to try....it may help speed up the process when the guys do bring 10-15 chains at a time...

angelo c

Coal Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I have a 511a with a CBN wheel that I used to luv. Able to take big hacks of chain off in a single grind. As Anthony said took some time to "square" up the L-R cutting to be equal. But I bought a Stihl HOS by mistake....yup I bought it sight unseen and when I opened it I noticed there is no angle adjustments available. It's a fixed head machine, unlike the USG which is a adjustable tilt head.
Needless to say I was pissed. What a dope I was for not knowing WTF I was buying. I thought it was the USG and never knew that Stihl made the HOS...duh.
So I said WTH I'll buy the wheels and give it a try...I do not know why or how but the HOS ground chain is sharper and faster the the 511a set to the same angles(measured by protractor not settings) .
My HOS is my main grinder now.....

Until I find a cheap USG that is anyway....

Last edited:

Khntr85

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I have a 511a with a CBN wheel that I used to luv. Able to take big hacks of chain off in a single grind. As Anthony said took some time to "square" up the L-R cutting to be equal. But I bought a Stihl HOS by mistake....yup I bought it sight unseen and when I opened it I noticed there is no angle adjustments available. It's a fixed head machine, unlike the USG which is a adjustable tilt head.
Needless to say I was pissed. What a dope I was for not knowing WTF I was buying. I thought it was the USG and never knew that Stihl made the HOS...duh.
So I said WTH I'll buy the wheels and give it a try...I do not not why or how but the HOS ground chain is sharper and faster the the 511a set to the same angles(measured by protractor not settings) .
My HOS is my main grinder now.....

Until I find a cheap USG that is anyway....
That's sucks about the mix up.....Wow, that is strange about the faster cutting chain in the Stihl grinder........I know you said you don't know why it is faster, but did you look closely at the cutters, to see what the difference was.....

Also just I am very curious about how the angles match up on the Stihl and Oregon grinder....for instance, if the Stihl grinder is fixed at 60 degrees, what measurement would that equate to on the Oregon grinder....

angelo c

Coal Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
That's sucks about the mix up.....Wow, that is strange about the faster cutting chain in the Stihl grinder........I know you said you don't know why it is faster, but did you look closely at the cutters, to see what the difference was.....

Also just I am very curious about how the angles match up on the Stihl and Oregon grinder....for instance, if the Stihl grinder is fixed at 60 degrees, what measurement would that equate to on the Oregon grinder....

the angles DONT match up directly...or by "indication"...that's what I thought was the difference at first so I set them up comparison wise by the fixed angle of the HOS and matched the 511a to it. I think there is something to the stihl "wheel" that's the difference. but honestly I have no clue.

Khntr85

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
the angles DONT match up directly...or by "indication"...that's what I thought was the difference at first so I set them up comparison wise by the fixed angle of the HOS and matched the 511a to it. I think there is something to the stihl "wheel" that's the difference. but honestly I have no clue.
Ok I follow ya....Ya I knew they didn't match up......I didn't know if you actually found out how each brand measured the head tilt....I know a lot of guys would love to find a conversion chart....

Next time I get parts I am goin to see if they will let me look at their HOS grinder....I want to see how they match up myself....

And I have heard other people say the wheels are very nice from Stihl also!!!!

Khntr85

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
So which grinder you leaning towards getting

CoreyB

Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I can get the 520 for $299 or the 620 for $475. Is the hydro assisted lock worth the extra 175?

Khntr85

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Wow good price I got my 520 for $320...

I would say in a shop setting is were that 620 would shine

CoreyB

Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Wow good price I got my 520 for $320...

I would say in a shop setting is were that 620 would shine
I ordered the 620 today. My reply got me a little better price. I do hope that it saves some time. Although I am pretty fast on the old 511. I will add some more when I get it next week and set up.

Khntr85

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I ordered the 620 today. My reply got me a little better price. I do hope that it saves some time. Although I am pretty fast on the old 511. I will add some more when I get it next week and set up.
Good deal man, yep report back, I know a lot of guys like that 620!!!

Icepick69

Fart knocker extraordinaire.
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
What did you get it for?

CoreyB

Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I like that. I got tired of changing wheels myself.
Your rep must be on site if your post got his attention.
I would done 390.00 for ya.
I will remember that when I go to replace my depth gauge unit. it is like an ol 410 or something It has been around for years and has a few problems that make it a depth gauge unit only.

Khntr85

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Wow sounds like I should have got my Oregon 520 threw someone on this site.....I paid $320 for mine new...

Khntr85

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Guess it will become a who can survive on how low we can go.
That's the downside to selling online.
Yes sir, there is ALWAYS someonr whom NEEDS the money worse!!!