High Quality Chainsaw Bars Husqvarna Toys

Help me find the right bench grinder.

CoreyB

Yep I am your neighborhood coffee man
Local time
9:06 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Got the 620 in today but not enough time to play with it. The doesn't the 10 degree. Angle different instead of rotating the vice section it slides the whole section forward and aft like centering the 511. The one chain I tested didn't do the left and right cutters exact one the gullet was getting into the straps.

Crzybowhntr

Apprentice Slacker
Local time
10:06 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
This will give me a three grinder set up. One for lp and .325 and one for 3/8 and one for depth gauges.
Heck, I'll make you a sweet deal and trade you my TSC brand grinder for a 511.

Khntr85

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Got the 620 in today but not enough time to play with it. The doesn't the 10 degree. Angle different instead of rotating the vice section it slides the whole section forward and aft like centering the 511. The one chain I tested didn't do the left and right cutters exact one the gullet was getting into the straps.
So it doesn't do the "vise tilt"???

Icepick69

Fart knocker extraordinaire.
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Let us know how it works out. Philbert is the go to man on these grinders. Maybe who you bought it from can give us some advice on how to get left and right cutters the same.

CoreyB

Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Let us know how it works out. Philbert is the go to man on these grinders. Maybe who you bought it from can give us some advice on how to get left and right cutters the same.
Ya I just need to sit down and take some time with it. Throwing one chain on in a hurry is not a worthy assessment lol
Maybe tomorrow. I will also try and do some photos and videos.

Philbert

Chainsaw Enthusiast
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The hydraulic vise does not tilt. But if you slide the vise forward or backward, you can hit the cutter with a curved part (arc) of the wheel, instead of dead center (tangent) which provides a similar effect.
screen-shot-2017-03-24-at-11-29-30-pm-png.567710

This may feel a bit counter intuitive, since we try to center the wheel on the 511A model grinders, and slide the vice slightly on the 511AX to compensate for wheel wear. I believe that something similar is done with the STIHL grinders (can anyone comment?)

This is from the manual for an Oregon 109179 (earlier version) hydraulic clamp grinder (note that you are not limited to just 0° or 10°):
screen-shot-2017-03-24-at-11-13-46-pm-png.567704

Philbert

Philbert

Chainsaw Enthusiast
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I do not know why or how but the HOS ground chain is sharper and faster the the 511a set to the same angles . . .

The wheels for these different grinders are made of different grits (like sandpaper), which can affect the final cutter finish. A variety of wheels are manufactured for these grinders, but only a limited selection is available in the US. The wheels that come on many of the Oregon clone grinders are very coarse. The OEM Oregon wheels, and the Molemab wheels available from Bailey's are much finer.
http://www.tecomec.com/subcategory/chain_saw_accessories_accessories_for_chain_grinders/index.htm

Philbert

CoreyB

Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Well I haven't got a lot of opportunity to work with the 620 yet. I did sharpen two chains today. But still needed to adjust some from left to right. I am hoping I get it to be equal with out adjusting the chain stop and depth.

blackjack99574

Super OPE Member
Local time
6:06 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I went from an Oregon 511A to a jolly star with hydraulic vise. I also have always used a cbn wheel for my grinders. I've had it over 10 years and still going strong. It's expensive but it don't wear and doesn't require a stone to shape. The hydraulic vice is the way to go. It is faster than manual vice and if you grind chain in volume it makes a difference. I enjoy grinding chains for hours then going out cutting and reaping the fruits of my labors. Check out a hydraulic vice version. You won't regret it.