Dub11

Saw R skeery
GoldMember
Local time
1:25 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Are you looking for a Dolmar and not a red Makita?

Wilhelm

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
8:25 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I don't quite understand the question either, but I am sure finding a Dolmar PS-421 shouldn't be a problem.

@fordf150

Backtroller

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
1:25 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I thought I had read that some of the red Makita saws were being made in China now. Is that what you mean?

LittleLebowski

Super OPE Member
Local time
2:25 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Sorry about the ambiguous title, guys. I am inquiring to see if the German made 421s are hard to find.

@fordf150, that would work if there's any sort of warranty, we're not quite ready to buy just yet. I can provide proof of this guy's service and valor as well if it would help.

whitesnake

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
MCV 42 assembled in Germany or China?

LittleLebowski

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Warranty counts or at least a dealer willing to support the saw. My buddy doesn't work on small engines. He's retiring to a 20 acre spread and building shooting ranges on his property.

This guy's done it all - Marine infantry, then full time cop, and now SEAL.

Wilhelm

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
8:25 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
OK, that I didn't know - about the manufacturing in China.
What a shame . . . :(

I still see some Dolmar PS-420 SC's listed here in Croatia, maybe I should get one of these Made in Germany saws while they're available?

cuttinscott

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
OK, that I didn't know - about the manufacturing in China.
What a shame . . . :(

I still see some Dolmar PS-420 SC's listed here in Croatia, maybe I should get one of these Made in Germany saws while they're available?

Manufactured in Germany........... Final Assembly at a Makita plant in another Country for this saw it is China. Manufacture and Assembly have different meanings. From what I'm told All saw parts will still be Manufactured in Germany, and Prototyping and 1st year of production for new models will still be from Germany but after the first year Assembly will move on to another Makita Plant in the world. One main reason for this is the Hamburg Plant is at capacity with no more room for expansion for the increased production that Makita sales are having over what Dolmar had been selling.

Scott

Doug Fir

OPE Member
Local time
11:25 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Manufactured in Germany........... Final Assembly at a Makita plant in another Country for this saw it is China. Manufacture and Assembly have different meanings. From what I'm told All saw parts will still be Manufactured in Germany, and Prototyping and 1st year of production for new models will still be from Germany but after the first year Assembly will move on to another Makita Plant in the world. ...

Scott

These saws are not manufactured in Germany. Some (or most) of the parts may be made in Germany, but according to Makita the saws are "Made in China". I have one, and it exhibits the typical quality control of a Chinese-made product.

For labeling purposes, products can be listed as "Assembled in ..." or "Made in ...". For example, I have some Pentax lenses that are assembled in Vietnam with Japanese components. They are labeled as "Assembled in Vietnam". The Makita 4300 is labeled as "Made in China", not "Assembled in China". Fortunately this label will soon fall off, as it was not properly applied. I guess it's difficult to attach a label to a curved surface.:) It was just slapped on, leaving a large gap in the middle.

Other issues? The multipurpose switch is not aligned properly with the case or the switch label. To select Choke you place the saw in the "On"position; to set it to On, the switch is set to "Engine Off", and for the Safety Position the switch has to be pushed below the opening in the case. It then has to be dug out with a screwdriver. (I guess that makes it really safe.) In addition, the top cover does not fit properly. When reinstalling the top cover I have to use a screwdriver to push in the bottom of the case, distorting it so it fits. Fortunately I typically have a screwdriver at hand because I needed it to dig out the switch. It doesn't exactly exude "German quality". The overall fit-and-finish is more in line with "cheap Chinese POS". :(

The good news is that the saw runs really well. It starts easily, and has lots of torque. I really enjoy running my Chinese-made Makita. It is very well designed. :clap2:

Hopefully it will hold up. Hopefully more attention was paid to the mechanical assembly than to the outer case or label. Fingers crossed. At least it was inexpensive! But don't pretend that this is a German-made saw. :meparto:

Doug

Habada
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
These saws are not manufactured in Germany. Some (or most) of the parts may be made in Germany, but according to Makita the saws are "Made in China". I have one, and it exhibits the typical quality control of a Chinese-made product.

For labeling purposes, products can be listed as "Assembled in ..." or "Made in ...". For example, I have some Pentax lenses that are assembled in Vietnam with Japanese components. They are labeled as "Assembled in Vietnam". The Makita 4300 is labeled as "Made in China", not "Assembled in China". Fortunately this label will soon fall off, as it was not properly applied. I guess it's difficult to attach a label to a curved surface.:) It was just slapped on, leaving a large gap in the middle.

Other issues? The multipurpose switch is not aligned properly with the case or the switch label. To select Choke you place the saw in the "On"position; to set it to On, the switch is set to "Engine Off", and for the Safety Position the switch has to be pushed below the opening in the case. It then has to be dug out with a screwdriver. (I guess that makes it really safe.) In addition, the top cover does not fit properly. When reinstalling the top cover I have to use a screwdriver to push in the bottom of the case, distorting it so it fits. Fortunately I typically have a screwdriver at hand because I needed it to dig out the switch. It doesn't exactly exude "German quality". The overall fit-and-finish is more in line with "cheap Chinese POS". :(

The good news is that the saw runs really well. It starts easily, and has lots of torque. I really enjoy running my Chinese-made Makita. It is very well designed. :clap2:

Hopefully it will hold up. Hopefully more attention was paid to the mechanical assembly than to the outer case or label. Fingers crossed. At least it was inexpensive! But don't pretend that this is a German-made saw. :meparto:

Doug

Everything you said is exactly the same on a German Assembled PS-421 / EA4300.

I've never heard anyone complain about these issues on any of the sites. I did have one of our customers complain about the Choke/On/Off sticker.

Adirondackstihl

Vert Da Furk........Bork Bork Bork
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

Doug
You're new here I see.
How cute

NCFarmboy

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
My 2012 PS421 Made in Germany. My 2016 EA4300 made in Germany. Just went and looked to be sure couldn't wait til tomorrow. That's all I know.
Shep

Adirondackstihl

Vert Da Furk........Bork Bork Bork
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Yes, I'm new here, but I have posted for years on "the other site" under the same username. So what's your point? I guess you didn't like what I had to say. o_O
What's my point?
You're making false statements, that's my point.
You're trying to argue with a 30+ yr and running Dolmar dealer who knows more about his products than you ever will.
Welcome aboard.