Hand Making Axe Handles

XP_Slinger

They’re Just Saws
Local time
7:13 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I’m making a hatchet handle for my neice using white ash from my firewood pile. The factory handle was 1/2” short of reaching the top of the eye then filled with resin to hide the poor fit. No surprise, it loosened up within 15 minutes of her chopping with it. Uncle Josh’s handle won’t let her down;). More to follow
9CCD1991-2F09-4578-B21F-E8AEB311C6A3.jpeg

XP_Slinger

They’re Just Saws
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Here’s where my nieces handle is at, letting it dry before final shapin and sanding. Turning out nice so far, I hope it fits her little hand comfortably. If not I’ll keep shaping til she likes it.
0875B062-0303-4DCA-B887-A4CB38E9B8F1.jpeg

Painting the end grain with thick implement paint is doing a good job at preventing cracks. I applied it after cutting it off smooth with my chop saw. I figured the smooth cut would allow more even abosorbtion of the paint. So far so good.

BF1DE010-AE10-4C97-A4EF-5E2596DE377E.jpeg

ajschainsaws

Axes never run out of Gas
GoldMember
Local time
12:13 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Here’s where my nieces handle is at, letting it dry before final shapin and sanding. Turning out nice so far, I hope it fits her little hand comfortably. If not I’ll keep shaping til she likes it.
View attachment 127936

Painting the end grain with thick implement paint is doing a good job at preventing cracks. I applied it after cutting it off smooth with my chop saw. I figured the smooth cut would allow more even abosorbtion of the paint. So far so good.

View attachment 127937

That’s a nice handle I always like your humped back you put on The hatchets
I will be trying that a bit more on my next project, I always seem to get them flatter gotta try it

ajschainsaws

GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
View attachment 127936

View attachment 127937

That’s a good way of sealing the end grain

ajschainsaws

GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I cut this off my billet yesterday, 4 hours later it checked this much. The ends I painted are still solid, not checking at all.

View attachment 127981

Josh that’s typical if you got some crappy wet firewood you want to dry
it wouldn’t crack and split
get a nice bit of timber and the 1st sniff of spring and it’s opening and splitting like crazy

ajschainsaws

GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Lol. A guy who mills said he uses it religiously. I believe home depot sells it.
He said it prevented the end grain checking.

Yes it gotta be worth it I split out a nice of cherry ready to make a handle in a few months I didn’t put anything on it it’s pretty useless now split like crazy

ajschainsaws

GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Wow! You've been busy. That middle photo the handle looks like a canoe paddle. Lol

Jeff These are photos from back in March I gotta make another bamboo handle and I was looking for some photos on here to get a pattern and I couldn’t find any so I thought I would put some up

That middle one is the Bamboo handle with the huge puget head a deadly weapon that one

XP_Slinger

They’re Just Saws
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Josh that’s typical if you got some crappy wet firewood you want to dry
it wouldn’t crack and split
get a nice bit of timber and the 1st sniff of spring and it’s opening and splitting like crazy
Yes sir that’s a fact. Thought it would be helpful to show the fellas how fast it happens.