High Quality Chainsaw Bars Husqvarna Toys

Got my second project 200T fired up

MattG

Chainosaurus Rex
Local time
2:15 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Just wanted to share a couple of clips since I got my latest project saw started up, yesterday. The saw wasn't exactly bad when I picked up it, but I wanted to really rebuild from the ground up, so this was the order of battle: new piston and rings, new bearings and seals, serviced the carb, deleted the BG, machined the top of the jug to get ~0.02" squish, removed 0.5mm from the exhaust port roof - to match the drop due to the missing BG, and finally gutted the muffler. Here she is running rich, to help break in:

:D

bikemike

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
8:15 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Just wanted to share a couple of clips since I got my latest project saw started up, yesterday. The saw wasn't exactly bad when I picked up it, but I wanted to really rebuild from the ground up, so this was the order of battle: new piston and rings, new bearings and seals, serviced the carb, deleted the BG, machined the top of the jug to get ~0.02" squish, removed 0.5mm from the exhaust port roof - to match the drop due to the missing BG, and finally gutted the muffler. Here she is running rich, to help break in:

:D
Sounds great but now you need a chain sharpening and rakers knocked down

MattG

Chainosaurus Rex
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Sounds great but now you need a chain sharpening and rakers knocked down
Ha ha!

The chain is dead TBH, its the one that was on when I bought it from the tree guy! The cutters are down to the witness marks, and it looked like he rarely even touched the rakers. I ended up hitting the rakers with a great big fat file in order to get anyway with them. IDK whether to get a new 12" chain, or go for a 14" B/C setup on this one. My other T has a 12" which I think is great on these saws :)

Last edited:

bikemike

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Ha ha!

The chain is dead TBH, its the one that was on when I bought it from the tree guy! The cutters are down to the witness marks, and it looked he really even touched the rakers. I ended up hitting the rakers with a great big fat file in order to get anyway with them. IDK whether to get a new 12" chain, or go for a 14" B/C setup on this one. My other T has a 12" which I think is great on these saws :)
With the power the 200t makes 14 to 16 inch 1495382805321-1259466317.jpg stihl has a sharp or 2 left in it lol. But I have about 6 more chains for this saw

jb-chainsaws

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
What made you decide to raise the exhaust port? Just curious about the methodology more than anything, not doubting your work. She sounds well!

MattG

Chainosaurus Rex
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
With the power the 200t makes 14 to 16 inch View attachment 70802 stihl has a sharp or 2 left in it lol. But I have about 6 more chains for this saw
Yeah I magnified your one's chain. Mines got about that much aswell.....thing is I just got bored lowering them rakers....probably could've hit them some more...I just wanted to get the damn thing started!

Sounds like you're telling me to go for the 14" setup ;)

MattG

Chainosaurus Rex
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
What made you decide to raise the exhaust port? Just curious about the methodology more than anything, not doubting your work. She sounds well!
Hey Dude....a fellow Brit :)

I raised the exhaust because by removing the BG (which I previously measured was 0.5mm), I reduced the exhaust duration by that much. So I raised the roof accordingly. It seemed to make sense at the time - though I've ported a 2-stroke MX bike back in the day - this was my first on a saw!

I left the transfers alone - cos that seemed too tricksy for me ;) and by lowering the jug with the delete I think you get more inlet duration anyway.

jb-chainsaws

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Yes my only real reason for asking is that In the past I've left the ex height alone depending on the numbers with a dropped jug, I found that on my 044 test bed saw that leaving the exhaust a little lower gave a little more torque, however in all honesty I think I was only about 10 thou lower than original.

Mostly I just like discussing different ideas and how they work :cool:

bikemike

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Yeah me too. I was kinda hedging my bets that any torque lost from the extra exhaust would be offset by that gained by the CR bump and the closer-to-optimum squish setting. We shall see!
Sounds strong to me. Can't wait till you got a new chain bar and vid. For now run it hard a few tanks and push on it to set the rings and loosen the new bearings up.

MattG

Chainosaurus Rex
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
With the power the 200t makes 14 to 16 inch View attachment 70802 stihl has a sharp or 2 left in it lol. But I have about 6 more chains for this saw
Hey Mike,

What depth do you set the rakes when the cutters get that short? I've heard as they wear they need to be set lower than the original 0.025". And that's because the deal is about the ANGLE not the exact DEPTH, and as the cutter-to-cutter distance increases...well.

But I always find myself guessing what to do them at when the cutters are that short. I guess I must have set mine (on this here old chain) to about 0.027.....

Anyone else got input into this?

bikemike

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Hey Mike,

What depth do you set the rakes when the cutters get that short? I've heard as they wear they need to be set lower than the original 0.025". And that's because the deal is about the ANGLE not the exact DEPTH, and as the cutter-to-cutter distance increases...well.

But I always find myself guessing what to do them at when the cutters are that short. I guess I must have set mine (on this here old chain) to about 0.027.....

Anyone else got input into this?
Depends on the wood too but my saw likes the close to to 030 or a swipe or 2 more cause there is less cutter surface area for the saw to pull a chain through.
You can always take more off but you can't put it back on

MattG

Chainosaurus Rex
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Depends on the wood too but my saw likes the close to to 030 or a swipe or 2 more cause there is less cutter surface area for the saw to pull a chain through.
You can always take more off but you can't put it back on
Thanks Mike,

Looks as if I definitely need to swipe my ones down a bit more. I guess that's what the cutting was telling me, slow (but still reasonably smooth) and little feeling of the saw being pulled (i.e. little of the teeth getting to bite).

MattG

Chainosaurus Rex
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I've put 3 tanks through it now. Here's a quick clip, though I don't want any comments about my fashion sense ;) and yes, I'm afraid to say @bikemike that it's still got the cr@ppy chain on it, though I did hit the rakers a bit before the cut. I tweaked the tuning slightly for this clip....it did the usual where you turn the H screw out fat, then lean, and then come back to the rich side again. My old ears aren't too good for this stuff, so I ended up, checking it on the tach afterwards.....at first it was about 14400 at wide open, but now think I've knocked her down to ~13800.

As usual, I'd welcome any opinions on the general sound and the tune (not on how sh!t the chain is!!) of it:

Note when it bogs at around 26s I was leaning on it a lot, just kinda pleased that it didn't stall out totally.

bikemike

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I've put 3 tanks through it now. Here's a quick clip, though I don't want any comments about my fashion sense ;) and yes, I'm afraid to say @bikemike that it's still got the cr@ppy chain on it, though I did hit the rakers a bit before the cut. I tweaked the tuning slightly for this clip....it did the usual where you turn the H screw out fat, then lean, and then come back to the rich side again. My old ears aren't too good for this stuff, so I ended up, checking it on the tach afterwards.....at first it was about 14400 at wide open, but now think I've knocked her down to ~13800.

As usual, I'd welcome any opinions on the general sound and the tune (not on how sh!t the chain is!!) of it:

Note when it bogs at around 26s I was leaning on it a lot, just kinda pleased that it didn't stall out totally.
Good strong saw you got there. Should keep you happy for a long time

MattG

Chainosaurus Rex
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Good strong saw you got there. Should keep you happy for a long time
Thanks Mike!

What you reckon to the H tune I'm gonna right there? My ears cr@p out when it screams a lot......I think theres still a slight roughness/4-stroke just before I hit it. I'd welcome a second opinion.

bikemike

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Thanks Mike!

What you reckon to the H tune I'm gonna right there? My ears cr@p out when it screams a lot......I think theres still a slight roughness/4-stroke just before I hit it. I'd welcome a second opinion.
I think it sounds fine as it is. Ur pulling lots of rpm in the cut and you can push on it. No load tune doesn't always mean its the best tune under load. *s-word I'd feel safe running it in a tree