Got my second project 200T fired up

Wonkydonkey

Plastic member
Local time
4:50 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Err, that greenheart is rock hard and is known to blunt tools:(, but I take your point:), I guess, I will give it a sharpen and try it side by side with a stihl chain
I'll get some other wood and compaire the cutting speeds.
I guess I should check the squish next time. Oh so many things to do..

Cheers:zpong:

Wonkydonkey

Plastic member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
@Wonkydonkey

What is greenheart? Is it oak of some sort?

It's the best tropical hardwood that is preferred for it rot resisting in marine pilings.
It's from Guyana, South america
From the wood database,
it's ave dried weight 1010 kg /m3
Janka hardness 11,260 N

Where as English oak
Ave dried weight 675 kg/m3
Janka hardness 4,980 N

They came from the beach, when they were replacing them, I should give my saws an average wood to cut.

MattG

Chainosaurus Rex
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I guess I should check the squish next time. Oh so many things to do..
Well, I'm really pleased that I set my squish up. I'd recommend doing it. Check out post #22 and some of the other comments in this thread for going about it on a 200T. (I deleted the base gasket then ground the top of the head, since it had protruding imperfections.) I didn't do it on my first 200T.....but this saw is still running nice. But what I would say about the second T that I set up squish up on, is that HOT STARTING is faultless. I'm not sure if it's related......but I've heard some 200Ts need a few pulls sometimes for a hot start. What does @Lone Wolf think about squish and 200T hot starts?

I also gutted the mufflers innard's, smoothed stuff down, and opened the outlet as big as poss without getting silly - in other words still ensuring the gas is directed in the right direction.

And as the squish setup dropped the jug by 0.5mm, I raised the exhaust port roof by the same amount.
It's the best tropical hardwood that is preferred for it rot resisting in marine pilings.
:pesas:

Last edited:

bikemike

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
10:50 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Sounds ok, and perhaps will strengthen up after a few more tanks.

Mike's got a point with his chain comment (yours seems even worse than my old one!). But I do wish he'd sort his spelling out! :risas3:
No can do sire spell is my weak point. Taking care of trims and removals is my strong point.

Lone Wolf

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
11:50 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Well, I'm really pleased that I set my squish up. I'd recommend doing it. Check out post #22 and some of the other comments in this thread for going about it on a 200T. (I deleted the base gasket then ground the top of the head, since it had protruding imperfections.) I didn't do it on my first 200T.....but this saw is still running nice. But what I would say about the second T that I set up squish up on, is that HOT STARTING is faultless. I'm not sure if it's related......but I've heard some 200Ts need a few pulls sometimes for a hot start. What does @Lone Wolf think about squish and 200T hot starts?

I also gutted the mufflers innard's, smoothed stuff down, and opened the outlet as big as poss without getting silly - in other words still ensuring the gas is directed in the right direction.

And as the squish setup dropped the jug by 0.5mm, I raised the exhaust port roof by the same amount.

:pesas:
Mine will start hot one pull are you holding the throttle open ?

MattG

Chainosaurus Rex
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
No. I mean how good they restart from hot, with no throttle pressing. My first one (no squish set) will restart first time every two or three goes, but the one with the squish set ALWAYS restarts first time in that mode. Perhaps it's just fluke, or another nuance e.g. spark timing, or carb etc..

Wonkydonkey

Plastic member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Umm,, checked the squish on the 200t, it was/is a massive 0.0550
I gave the chain a sharpen, the rakers were a tad high so 2 licks to those and cut a piece of seasoned sweet cheesnut, as well as another slice of the greenheart

Wonkydonkey

Plastic member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Sweet chestnut

Some of the greenheart chips
image.jpeg
Notice the way the sea has shaped the wood as well as the steel
image.jpeg

Last edited:

MattG

Chainosaurus Rex
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Umm,, checked the squish on the 200t, it was/is a massive 0.0550

That's 0.055" I guess. In other words ~1.3mm. Mine was about 1.1mm before I lost the BG. But then those casting protrusions I mentioned in the other thread ruined the show. After "emery on the old piston" sanding job I got it to ~0.55mm. And yeah it runs very nice now.

MattG

Chainosaurus Rex
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Seriously Steve, surely you've used loads of 200Ts in your time (come on own up - how many do you currently have right now? 20?)......do they all hot start to idle that good?

Wonkydonkey

Plastic member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
That's 0.055" I guess. In other words ~1.3mm. Mine was about 1.1mm before I lost the BG. But then those casting protrusions I mentioned in the other thread ruined the show. After "emery on the old piston" sanding job I got it to ~0.55mm. And yeah it runs very nice now.

Yep that's what I thought,,, but I like BG's and what ever I do, it will change the timings for good or worse ? I don't know. And it's ipita pulling the jug off a 200t so maybe it will have to wait.. Till I get the urge..
Cheers..

Ps I don't mean to HJ your thread, I'm just adding :) and learning.

Wonkydonkey

Plastic member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Yeh, I read that.. That's what I thought, " how much " I gotta take off ,,, ohly crap.. Whay oh, whata lotta work to be done..

bikemike

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
10:50 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Most all the 200t are known to have a accelerator pump and everyone I know pulls the trigger to start and they start fine like that. Sometimes they start fine no throttle depending on the tune and condition of the carb

MattG

Chainosaurus Rex
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Ps I don't mean to HJ your thread, I'm just adding :) and learning.
Don't be silly! You say and do what you like and what you think. The forums are great when they are like this, and folk just chip in, and as long as it's friendly and vaguely on topic, then its ALL GOOD!

Most all the 200t are known to have a accelerator pump
Ha ha! Hey Mike, I've fallen foul of dodgy accelerator pumps in the past. I've even (with Wolfs help) tried fixing one. So on my first 200T I binned the accel pump carb and fitted a new, but old-school, non-accelerated carb. My second one came with the old-school carb. I much prefer them. Less to go wrong, and they certainly still accelerate a lot faster than a stock 150t, if @Adamski 's one was anything to compare to!

Last edited:

MattG

Chainosaurus Rex
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
And it's ipita pulling the jug off a 200t so maybe it will have to wait.. Till I get the urge..
I know what you mean....so many other things to do.

That's what I thought, " how much " I gotta take off ,,, ohly crap.. Whay oh, whata lotta work to be done..
No sweat. When you feel inclined to do it give me a shout and we can go through it all. :)

MattG

Chainosaurus Rex
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
@Wonkydonkey I just had a quick view of the your last cutting clips in #50 and when you consider how tough that greenheart is then I think it's actually cutting pretty good. I'd also venture that if you delete your BG and get your squish closer to spec. and open the muffler, then it will go like a rocket!

Al Smith

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
11:50 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
FWIW Stihl had some problems with the Zama C1Q model of carb .Stihl being Stihl never publically admitted to same but when they moved that model production to China from Japan it became evident .As far as I know that problem has been taken care of .
Adam Clark and myself had thought we figured it out and I sent a carb to Stihl USA for testing .It turns out we were on the right track but not exactly correct .Never the less Stihl in turn sent me a brand new carb with factory tuning directions .I never dialed it in and that little saw runs the best it ever has .I have it on a modified 200T .That saw BTW and a Stock 200T I have almost always starts on one pull on a restart .

MattG

Chainosaurus Rex
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
That saw BTW and a Stock 200T I have almost always starts on one pull on a restart .
Just out of interest - is that with zero throttle squeeze, or with a slight squeeze like Wolf and Mike were saying.

(And no jokes about giving things a squeeze from the rest of you, please. :))