Got my second project 200T fired up

MattG

Chainosaurus Rex
Local time
11:54 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Job done then :)
Ha ha! Yo, I do get a little OCD about tuning these top handle saws!!!

:risas3:

Thing is, I guess for a TH, you've got a bit more reason to be fussy. You want the L/idle to be good, since stalling or starting issues up the tree is a big pain. Additionally you want the H side to be as good as you can get it, since again, when up the tree, you definitely don't want the saw to jam due to lack of power.....from my limited above ground exploits I remember these to be pretty important points!

I've not done much saw playing this week (oil/brakes on one car, the cat has failed on another :(). But I've managed to play again with the 2nd T, and I'm now figuring that the oiler has packed up. I've got a few spare bits and bobs some I might have play with bodging up a fix....

I'll keep y'all posted ;)

Wonkydonkey

Plastic member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I may be a bit late posting this, but this was a ms200t that I got hold of... Cheap.. Then I found out that I could turn the flywheel about 10-20* without the piston moving, I was looking down the spark plug hole to see if there was any scoring, as taking the exhaust off these is apita
Anyhow this is what I found, lol. :BangHead:

But I got a farmatec/hutzel p&c and those darn rings they sent were the wrong thickness, so I ended up buying some caber rings.
And Yeh, what-a-snapper this little saw is.

bikemike

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
6:54 PM
User ID
Reaction score
I may be a bit late posting this, but this was a ms200t that I got hold of... Cheap.. Then I found out that I could turn the flywheel about 10-20* without the piston moving, I was looking down the spark plug hole to see if there was any scoring, as taking the exhaust off these is apita

But I got a farmatec/hutzel p&c and those darn rings they sent were the wrong thickness, so I ended up buying some caber rings.
So how bad was the jug. Any pics?

MattG

Chainosaurus Rex
Local time
User ID
Reaction score

Yeah, they are pretty addictive in my opinion. Incredibly poky and versatile. I don't even do tree-stuff for my occupation.....but for some strange reason, still possess 2 of them! Both got rebuilt basically from the ground up. I keep threatening the wife that I'm gonna look out on ebay for third. Such is my CAD....

bikemike

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
One day I'd like to get a 200t in nice shape and build 1 up for work use. It's the non rev limited coil and the amount of fuel they can burn that makes me smile

Wonkydonkey

Plastic member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
So how bad was the jug. Any pics?
No, I,m a bit of a slacker with pics and some things, this saw I got about a yr ago, and wanted to fix it up, I only took the vid so show the guy what a peice of crap, that he thought only "needed a carb kit ad fuel line and some tuning" for what I recall the cylinder looked fine but the top of it looked like the top of the piston (detonation) rough as f-word. Why detonation... I will never know,,,lean/crap fuel etc...
Needless to say, I got it going, but not being a tree guy ive only played with it on the ground, one day I'll be hoping I'm up a tree swinging and using it,

MattG

Chainosaurus Rex
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Yeah I've got a 044 which I bought from ebay for a project. I knew it needed work....and to be honest I relish working on chainsaw....but yeah, when sellers deceive you just so that they can get top dollar is really annoying. For that saw, he said "It starts cold and runs badly, but does not restart when hot". Ok......I've never got it to start! No air/fuel mix reaching the engine and laughably low on the compression. I got the the f/w and clutch off it the other day (I've done some pics and I'll create a thread in it's honour in a few weeks I think). Anyway when I glimpse the top of the piston through the plug/hole, mine looks similar to @Wonkydonkey 's 200T one above, i.e. a small indent hole is formed on the crown (and the crown is grey as buggery).

So what's the little hole mean? Is that formed due to detonation? Or just when the engine is running too hot?

Wonkydonkey

Plastic member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Well, the carb H screw was only about 3/4 iirc, so prob lean and over rev, lack of lubricant and over heating,
a bit of the over heating or lack of cooling was prob due too the fine saw dust glued everywhere by chain oil. (Cooling fins caked in saw dust)
I'm guessing the wrist pin bearings seized/broke due to above. Which then lead on to piston pivoting on wrist pin and not the bearing, fillings were then caused and then detonation started by the filings, but if someone knows better? I'm all ears.
The little whole in the center, I'm again guessing , heat and filings

I knew it was in need of a new piston as soon as I got the exhaust off but was still unsure about why I could turn the flywheel and the piston didn't move. Then once I got the cylinder off everything was revealed.
The cylinder was a mahle

Anyhow. It works now, I will have to get it out and give it a good workout..

Last edited:

MattG

Chainosaurus Rex
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Matt toss that chain and get a new one!
Ha ha! I have actually, that T has moved up in the world to a 14" B+C. Gave it it's first run removing a dead tree for the new neighbours last week and it was all good!

Yup, that old chain is going on the dead metal heap, ready for the scrap man when we next call him!

Wonkydonkey

Plastic member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Her ya go, the same rock hard greenheart,, but with the 200t , it bogged a bit but it's only had a few tankfulls
The chain is a new-ish Oregon vxl
:(
I think I will have to use it a bit more and see how it goes;)

bikemike

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Her ya go, the same rock hard greenheart,, but with the 200t , it bogged a bit but it's only had a few tankfulls

bikemike

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
3/8 low pro oregon chain sucks kock n ballz get a stihl or carlton on that

MattG

Chainosaurus Rex
Local time
User ID
Reaction score

Sounds ok, and perhaps will strengthen up after a few more tanks.

Mike's got a point with his chain comment (yours seems even worse than my old one!). But I do wish he'd sort his spelling out! :risas3:

3/8 low pro oregon chain sucks kock n ballz get a stihl or carlton on that