High Quality Chainsaw Bars Husqvarna Toys

Good old ethanal fuel strikes again

Lightning Performance

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
12:05 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Corvair. It's like a Vette, but smaller, not.

SO, I have a two year to 30 month update on AM lines, boots and carb kits.

First the dreaded fuel line. They work great for daily use. If the saws sit for months they go to goo. I stored my MS361 for five months this winter run out empty on pump piss e10 89. It still swelled the line from fumes coming back out of the plastic tank I suspect. The line was swollen and collapsed after a five month sit with NO fuel in the saw. The saw would not even pop without a squirt/prime. The line was hung up to to dry and shrink back. It is a bit stiffer but, remarkably went back to its original shape. I stretched it out and it was not rotten and did not break. I have to check the other 361. It was put up wet.

AM Boots: I used two of them for 460's. Lets just say one let go and took out a OE 460 top end. The other saw was brought back and changed out for OEM. The next batch was much thicker in the side walls. Time will tell if the fuel affects them or not. Those saws belong to a local tree service who usually wrecks them before they wear out so, they make for good test subjects that return before catastrophic failures.

Carb kits: Those stiff fuel pump black Mylars SUCK!!! So do the blue plastic ones. Moving on.
I like the tan fiber ones OE. The AM rubber ones are toast in six months or less under constant use. I see no point in testing the storage ability of a *s-word part/s. The seat needles with grey tip seem to be fine. The black tip ones last about a year and become indented washed out and harden. Most likely bun-o-rubber. Then the problems start with loading up at idle. Had one sitting out for the day fill the engine with fuel and lock it up. No harm done.
Zero problems so far with the two AM diaphragms I'm running.

I have no public pump E- free in my area that I know of except the race tracks and I ain't even wanted to call and ask. Marine and Areo all sell E-10.

I have not had the balls to test AM 066/660 fuel system rubber parts except the AV mounts.
"The juice might not be worth the squeeze."

Oh, btw no problems with the impulse lines. I do prefer the new style Cross impulse line for the 1128 series.

RIDE-RED 350r

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Good info there... Thanks.

A friend of mine gave me his 038 Super AV to diagnose and I found a torn carb boot. The OEM boot is $35 from my local dealer and I'm glad he opted to spend the money on the OEM boot after hearing your report.

67L36Driver

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
11:05 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Whats a corvair?

Sent from my SM-J320W8 using Tapatalk

A Corvair (air cooled flat six) has twelve push rod tubes with an 'O' ring on each end. Original equip was neoprene.

Neoprene turned hard in two or three years.

That coupled with the oil cooler gives you twenty eight extra places to leak.[emoji15]

The fix is Viton 'O' rings.

Al Smith

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Ralph Nader bless his heart was the demise of the Corvair .He said with the gas tank in the front it was unsafe at any speed .With the engine in the back those pot lickers could go through the snow .The cooling fan belt must have been 12-15 feet long and constantly needed replacing .The heater wasn't worth a hoot .If memory serves I think 1968 was the last of them .I think the Corvair was Chevys competition to a Ford Falcon .

As another tid bit of info Mr Nader also killed the use of 1/4" chain,used at that time for 2 cubic inch and under chainsaws that Oregon had at the time sold chisel chain for,no anti kick backs .Nader said because home owners used that size saw it wasn't safe to sell chains like that .It was then over 30 later until they had 3/8" lo profile in chisel style chain for small saws .

RIDE-RED 350r

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
So Ralph Nader was an automotive engineering expert as well as an OPE expert???

I HATE HATE HATE low/anti-kickback chains! The most fiendish instrument of torture ever devised to bedevil the days of men!

67L36Driver

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
11:05 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
An industrial belt 3VX560 is what to use on a Corvair.

And, change to the magnesium fan. Belt stays put.

The gasoline heater in my '62 gets heat in just a block or two.[emoji106]

I've owned three 'Vairs.

1969 was the last year.

Al Smith

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Family vacation,1965,going into Colorado Springs Colorado .I was driving,17 years old ,1965 Mercury,pulling a pop up camper. Merc. had 390 cu in V8,4 barrel carb,.Was running over 90 MPH and got passed by a damned Corvair .Must have taken 4 miles before he got around .That damned little thing sounded like a sewing machine.