Frogzskin vents for air filter covers

mdavlee

Hillbilly grinder
Local time
3:19 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I don't believe the heat soak is coming from the flywheel air. The air is spun from the flywheel directly up to the carb box. And many of the older series huskies have no carb soak issues. Bob @Spike60 mentioned the carb being much closer to the the top of the cylinder with the laid back cylinder design as being the culprit. In fact the new 572 design has added insulation for this reason.
Terry's thought however of blocking off the air injection forcing more air over the cylinder fins is interesting. I think I would try running the Saw with no filter cover, and see if the issue goes away. Then try it with the air injection blocked off with no cover.
I would hate to cut up a cover and have the issue remain.
It's a one piece top cover so you can't do that and still have air injection.

mdavlee

Hillbilly grinder
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I'm Genuinely curious in what you were saying: I always thought the Air Injection was BS, but maybe it isn't?

Eye C Meow.
It forces air into the carb box. That it does for sure. How much it can really use I'm not sure. You take the cover off a 372 or 385 and you can feel it coming out of the little elbow

paragonbuilder

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
It's a one piece top cover so you can't do that and still have air injection.

Well that won't work then... the cylinder fins would get no air flow with the cover off either, probably even more heat soak if not overheat the saw. Thanks for catching that!

mdavlee

Hillbilly grinder
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
You have to block the air injection and then open the box. Simple test wpuld be block it off on a saw with it and remove filter. Have to make sure it's fully warmed up and check WOT rpm. If you're getting more cooler air with it blocked you'll gain rpm.

Terry Syd

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
5:19 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I've got a 450 Husky, which is a bored out 445. The extra 9% displacement creates more heat and sucks that much more air away from the fins. Then I went and modded the bugger out of it (porting, carb, filter, exhaust) and the plug was getting HOT.

Looking through the exhaust port I could see that the piston was expanding all the way to the crown, it was on the edge of having a hot seizure.

After I blocked off the air injection and put a couple of holes in the back of the lid, the plug temperature dropped to a nice chocolate brown and the piston was running at a proper temperature.

Another benefit that I noticed was the filter wasn't getting dirty as often. I figured it would get dirtier sooner without the air injection, but it was the opposite.

I finally figured out why when I cut up a burnt log covered in charcoal. I had charcoal traces off my bar and into the front of the recoil cover. The fine dust from the bar was being sucked right into the saw.

The air injection works great for chips, but not for dust.

When I modded a 365 to a 77cc big bore, one of the first things I did was block off the air injection.

RI Chevy

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
You use the one I sent you yet?