Frogzskin vents for air filter covers

Redbull661

661 hoarder (BlueBallz)
Local time
8:44 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The shapes they sent me, were for testing. They are NOT in production...you can't order them.

vkt1WOc.jpg

The next step is to come up with dimensions that work with a great number of saws.

So open up the PDF file below and print it out. Then cut those shapes out and put them up against various saws and report if they would work or not and what model saw.

Bottom line - we need to come up with an agreed upon oval/rectangle dimensions. ie. There needs to be enough demand, so it's worth there while to put a new size into production.

Attachments

• Redbull661.shapes.pdf
    282 KB · Views: 18
Last edited:

Stihl working Hard

Is it Friday yet
Local time
9:44 PM
User ID
Reaction score
The shapes they sent me, were for testing. They are NOT in production...you can't order them.

vkt1WOc.jpg

The next step is to come up with dimensions that work with a great number of saws.

So open up the PDF file below and print it out. Then cut those shapes out and put them up against various saws and report if they would work or not and what model saw.

Bottom line - we need to come up with an agreed upon oval/rectangle dimensions. ie. There needs to be enough demand, so it's worth there time to put a new size into production.
Are the above frogskins available for purchase yet and if so how do I go about purchasing them

P.M.P.

Stiff Member
Local time
9:44 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Thinking of modding a cover using some of this screen not sure how to fasten it.Maybe some hot glue:thinking:or gorilla tape cut out the middle for the screen.

NCM_0922.JPG

skidooguy

Genuine smartass
Local time
7:44 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Loctite 3xl I believe it's called is a great adhesive. I have used it on screen door screen many times for pump filters with great results. I've been getting it at the hardware store in the area they keep the silicone and liquid nails tubes. Don't mistake it for loctite power grab adhesive due to the fact I've used it as well and not impressed with the power grab at all.

MustangMike

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Have + like them on my MS360, but don't think that relates to what you want to know about a 576. No air injection on a 360.

paragonbuilder

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I'm going to raise this thread from the dead. Who is using them still? What do your filters look like after a tank? How are they holding up? Considering tossing some into my 576 and maybe blocking off the air injection.

Air injection works pretty well in my experience, in fact in theory it reduces the vacuum in the carb box and filtration has been good.
Are you having issues? I have not seen a 576 personally.

BrokenSVT

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Al put this beauty together for me, and used the FrogSkinz. I have zero comparitive data to supply, but I'll say they're durable and they certainly aren't harming anything. Al reported nice gains on a previous build of his, and I'm certain his information is accurate.
IMG-20170821-WA0069.jpg

TreeLife

I'm Dominick
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Air injection works pretty well in my experience, in fact in theory it reduces the vacuum in the carb box and filtration has been good.
Are you having issues? I have not seen a 576 personally.
My only reasoning for doing it on the husky would be to reduce carb heat soak by using more direct outside air as opposed to hot flywheel air. More colderer for moar better.

Terry Syd

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
11:44 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The 'air injection' system takes air off the flywheel that could be flowing over the cooling fins of the engine. If you mod the saw to suck more air, you are also taking more air OFF OF THE ENGINE FINS. When you make more power out of the engine, you get more heat.

The result is more heat in the engine when you want to be cooling it more - the air injection system works the opposite of the desired result. Bump up the compression (heat) and you compound the issue.

A two-stroke can loose up to 20% of its power by heat soak. If you can reduce that heat, or even delay it, then you will not only get more power, but likely a longer engine life as the thermal expansion from high heat will be less.

drf256

Dr. Richard Cranium
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
They change airflow direction into the filter. There's probably less velocity of air entering the filter cover become there's more surface area to flow the same amount.

They make a filter stay cleaner. That's 100% true.

Air injection on husky's has made me wonder. Would be interesting to plumb a vacuum gauge into a hoosky air box.

There may be enough air, but the snorkel for the air injection is designed for a stock saw. Does it allow enough air flow for a ported saw? I don't know the answer, but I suspect it doesn't.

paragonbuilder

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
My only reasoning for doing it on the husky would be to reduce carb heat soak by using more direct outside air as opposed to hot flywheel air. More colderer for moar better.

I don't believe the heat soak is coming from the flywheel air. The air is spun from the flywheel directly up to the carb box. And many of the older series huskies have no carb soak issues. Bob @Spike60 mentioned the carb being much closer to the the top of the cylinder with the laid back cylinder design as being the culprit. In fact the new 572 design has added insulation for this reason.
Terry's thought however of blocking off the air injection forcing more air over the cylinder fins is interesting. I think I would try running the Saw with no filter cover, and see if the issue goes away. Then try it with the air injection blocked off with no cover.
I would hate to cut up a cover and have the issue remain.