Franzen chain sharpening

paragonbuilder

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
11:55 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
let´s get this conversation started. I´m willing to share insights, knowledge, experience etc. Just let me know what you want to know regarding Franzen and I´ll be happy to answer. Cheers!

Welcome to OPE!
Do you have pics of your sharpeners? Do you have a square grinder?
Thanks,
Dan

FranzenGang

Active OPE Member
Local time
5:55 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Here´s two pictures of our machine. On the second one you can see a scratcher chain in the sharpening process...please let me know what you guys are interested in.

Attachments

• franzen-sa6-high.png
    franzen-sa6-high.png
    400.3 KB · Views: 136
  • IMG_3974.JPG
    IMG_3974.JPG
    239.4 KB · Views: 137

Marshy

WFO Cutting
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
let´s get this conversation started. I´m willing to share insights, knowledge, experience etc. Just let me know what you want to know regarding Franzen and I´ll be happy to answer. Cheers!
I assume you are the manufacture or some representative?

Do you make a full manual machine for hown owners? :)
Welcome

Last edited:

wcorey

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I've seen chains sharpened on these where the cutters appear to have compound angles common on some of the newer factory grinds, as opposed to the straight in/out rounded file type profiles the basic 'chop saw' grinders produce. Looking from the side, a bit of an undercut on the top plate and then the side plate is flatter like square grind.

Must be something more going on there... Or is it just how the wheel is profiled?

FranzenGang

Active OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Yes we manufacture those machines. I own the company with my dad.
We "only" make this machine. No other simplified model. We work closely with Stihl, who manufacture the USG hand grinder as you guys might know.
@wcorey: the "shape" of the teeth can be controlled by many parametres. One of which is the shape of the wheel, which is key to a descent sharpening result.
I have attached close up pictures (sorry for the quality, but I just took a couple quick shots from customer chains, .404"-Stihl RMHS). Waiting for your comments;)

Attachments

• DSC_3807.JPG
    DSC_3807.JPG
    138.1 KB · Views: 190
  • DSC_3808.JPG
    DSC_3808.JPG
    130.8 KB · Views: 192
  • DSC_3809.JPG
    DSC_3809.JPG
    135.6 KB · Views: 178

Marshy

WFO Cutting
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Yes we manufacture those machines. I own the company with my dad.
We "only" make this machine. No other simplified model. We work closely with Stihl, who manufacture the USG hand grinder as you guys might know.
@wcorey: the "shape" of the teeth can be controlled by many parametres. One of which is the shape of the wheel, which is key to a descent sharpening result.
I have attached close up pictures (sorry for the quality, but I just took a couple quick shots from customer chains, .404"-Stihl RMHS). Waiting for your comments;)
Can you do square?

big t double

You can call me Teddy Eastwood.....
Local time
10:55 PM
User ID
Reaction score
I seen one of these once...something got screwed up with the tooth count and it ground a tooth backwards. Didn't even hiccup...just ground that *s-word wrong like a boss and moved on like it was supposed to do it. It was awesome.

FranzenGang

Active OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
ahh---ok. I understand. This type of sharpening (square) is prohibited in Germany, because those chain cut through protective clothing quite easily.
We have done "experiments" with such geometries of course, but our machine will not be able to do those any time soon. Besides the danger of using such a chain, the lifespan of the chain itself decreases largely when sharpened square.
But of course I understand when enthusiasts want to push the limits;)

RI Chevy

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I always thought square filed chains lasted longer? So.... round file chain is "safer" than square filed chain? Seems silly to me...

Dub11

Saw R skeery
GoldMember
Local time
10:55 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I seen one of these once...something got screwed up with the tooth count and it ground a tooth backwards. Didn't even hiccup...just ground that *s-word wrong like a boss and moved on like it was supposed to do it. It was awesome.

This made me raff.

paragonbuilder

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
ahh---ok. I understand. This type of sharpening (square) is prohibited in Germany, because those chain cut through protective clothing quite easily.
We have done "experiments" with such geometries of course, but our machine will not be able to do those any time soon. Besides the danger of using such a chain, the lifespan of the chain itself decreases largely when sharpened square.
But of course I understand when enthusiasts want to push the limits;)

Interesting,
I can’t see Square being more dangerous, or how it would slice through protective cloths any easier than round. Has there been studies on this?
Sq chains hold there edge longer in my experience, and thus lengthens the lifespan for me.

It would be cool if a grinding disk could be shaped for sq on these.

OldJack

Super OPE Member
Local time
9:55 PM
User ID
Reaction score
It sounds like Germany has "Experts" in government who make the rules without knowing the subject, just like Canada and the USA.

http://opeforum.com/threads/good-old-ethanal-fuel-strikes-again.6463/reply?quote=330714

A another tid bit of info Mr Nader also killed the use of 1/4" chain,used at that time for 2 cubic inch and under chainsaws that Oregon had at the time sold chisel chain for,no anti kick backs. Nader said because home owners used that size saw it wasn't safe to sell chains like that. It was then over 30 later until they had 3/8" lo profile in chisel style chain for small saws .

Al Smith, Mar 4, 2017

Don't get me started on Justin or Canadian gun laws.