Carb on Stihl ms462

Bru59

Active OPE Member
Local time
6:09 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Hello all. I’m a bit of a green horn. I just picked up a used but fairly new Stihl ms462 with a standard carb on it . The person I bought it from never re tuned after installing a WCS bark box . I pulled the carb and removed the limiters . I’ve began to tune with ear and a cheep tach . I ordered a Stihl one that is coming tomorrow . I know I want my low jet at around 2800 rpm and it says max rpm 13,500 rpm. With the I have it it sounds like it’s either hitting the limiter at about 13,200 rpm . Does anyone what the coil is limited at . Again I’m a green horn especially carb tuning . Is anyone willing to explain the process . I also started from 1 turn out on each jet . Tried to get the chain spinning on the idle screw but seemed to be screeming when I got it to move some .

Loony661

Stock chainsaws suck.
GoldMember
Local time
5:09 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Hello all. I’m a bit of a green horn. I just picked up a used but fairly new Stihl ms462 with a standard carb on it . The person I bought it from never re tuned after installing a WCS bark box . I pulled the carb and removed the limiters . I’ve began to tune with ear and a cheep tach . I ordered a Stihl one that is coming tomorrow . I know I want my low jet at around 2800 rpm and it says max rpm 13,500 rpm. With the I have it it sounds like it’s either hitting the limiter at about 13,200 rpm . Does anyone what the coil is limited at . Again I’m a green horn especially carb tuning . Is anyone willing to explain the process . I also started from 1 turn out on each jet . Tried to get the chain spinning on the idle screw but seemed to be screeming when I got it to move some .
Also, I didn’t have to adjust the tune on my carb MS462 when I installed the bark box either. And it ran much better than stock.

huskihl

Muh fingers look really big
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Turn the L in so that it lopes like it’s running out of fuel and then richen it up slightly. Set the L so that it idles without going rich or lean, while using the idle speed screw to keep the rpm in a range that the chain doesn’t spin. Too many times the L screw is a turn or 2 out too far and the idle screw is in far enough to force it to idle.

A 462 should have no problem tuned to 13.5k. So tune it to the edge of the limiter and see how it cuts. No need for a tach since they go haywire when you get near the limiter rpm anyway. Might as well just use the coil as the tach

Hall84

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Turn the L in so that it lopes like it’s running out of fuel and then richen it up slightly. Set the L so that it idles without going rich or lean, while using the idle speed screw to keep the rpm in a range that the chain doesn’t spin. Too many times the L screw is a turn or 2 out too far and the idle screw is in far enough to force it to idle.

A 462 should have no problem tuned to 13.5k. So tune it to the edge of the limiter and see how it cuts. No need for a tach since they go haywire when you get near the limiter rpm anyway. Might as well just use the coil as the tach
☝🏻

MemphisMechanic

Unreliable Chainsaw Enthusiast
Local time
5:09 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Too many times the L screw is a turn or 2 out too far and the idle screw is in far enough to force it to idle.

Absolutely, this right here. Most common mistake with novices tuning carbs, hands down.

If you aren’t sure, count the turns as you back your idle screw out until it loses contact with the throttle linkage and the butterfly is totally shut. Now run it back in that same number of turns to get back to where you were. You should see it make contact with the linkage and then swing the butterly open a turn or two.

You’ll probably have to remove a filter and base to observe this, depending on the saw in question.

Bru59

Active OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Okay, thanks for all of the input . I have it idleing nicely and got my Stihl tach. I set the high jet around 13k I’m going to get it in some wood this week and tweak it .