Switching Chains (?)

Buckin Up

OPE Member
Local time
6:23 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Hello folks,
i recently acquired a (2022yr) Echo CS-4910 chainsaw. It has the .325 chain on it. Would i have to change out the OEM 18" bar to run a 3/8ths chain on it?

What is the difference between these two bars, .325 vs .375 (?) Is it the depth of the chain groove, or width of the bar itself? I just don`t know.

I know i would have to change the clutch rim, but i`m not sure what rim to get for it so that i can run a 3/8ths chain on this saw.

This is the first chainsaw i`ve ever owned that runs the .325 chains. Everything i have owned has always run .375 chain.

I would really like to stay with the 3/8ths chains on everything. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Buckin Up

OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Ur saw is 50cc , ur better off staying with .325 pitch , you’d have to change bar tip to 3/8 pitch if possible , and 3/8 rim sprocket, Or go to a .375 bar ,
Thank you, i totally forgot all about the tip sprocket on the bar. Now it all makes sense.

I was thinking i wanted to make this saw a multi-purpose saw, that`s why i was wondering about putting the .375 on it. The saw is super light, and if i could use it for some felling too, instead of just a limbing saw, kinda like 2 birds = one stone kinda thing. I`m getting up there in age now, and i surely can appreciate the big saws i have, but this 4910 is super light and a joy to run. I just wish it was a little faster for the larger stuff, then i wouldn`t have to run the big saws as much. Not sure if that makes sense or not, but those are my thoughts anyways.

I know alot of folks like the .325 for limbing work and such, i`m just trying to hit both ends of the spectrum i guess.

Squareground3691

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Thank you, i totally forgot all about the tip sprocket on the bar. Now it all makes sense.

I was thinking i wanted to make this saw a multi-purpose saw, that`s why i was wondering about putting the .375 on it. The saw is super light, and if i could use it for some felling too, instead of just a limbing saw, kinda like 2 birds = one stone kinda thing. I`m getting up there in age now, and i surely can appreciate the big saws i have, but this 4910 is super light and a joy to run. I just wish it was a little faster for the larger stuff, then i wouldn`t have to run the big saws as much. Not sure if that makes sense or not, but those are my thoughts anyways.

I know alot of folks like the .325 for limbing work and such, i`m just trying to hit both ends of the spectrum i guess.
There’s some very fast .325 pitch chains out there ,👍

Buckin Up

OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I`ve even pondered the thought of bringing the chain gauges down a little further to get a little more bite of wood.

huskihl

Muh fingers look really big
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
SP33G is semi chisel like your saw probably has on it. Rounded cutters. Very fast chain for semi chisel.

23 RS is chisel chain. I’m not certain any longer if 23RS and 23RS Pro are the same or not, but RS Pro is one of the fastest cutting chains out of the box.

I realize that doesn’t help your 3/8 issue, but just letting you know that there are fast options in .325 chain. I believe the 4910 is faster with 325 anyway.

Buckin Up

OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
SP33G is semi chisel like your saw probably has on it. Rounded cutters. Very fast chain for semi chisel.

23 RS is chisel chain. I’m not certain any longer if 23RS and 23RS Pro are the same or not, but RS Pro is one of the fastest cutting chains out of the box.

I realize that doesn’t help your 3/8 issue, but just letting you know that there are fast options in .325 chain. I believe the 4910 is faster with 325 anyway.
As i`ve looked more into it, i believe you are spot on. Found some real good deals on the SP33G chains locally. I`m gonna try them.

In my searches, i found .325 full chisel chains at Tractor Supply. I`m going to buy one and see how it performs. But they are made in CHYNAW!

Squareground3691

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
As i`ve looked more into it, i believe you are spot on. Found some real good deals on the SP33G chains locally. I`m gonna try them.

In my searches, i found .325 full chisel chains at Tractor Supply. I`m going to buy one and see how it performs. But they are made in CHYNAW!
If ur into somewhat dirty wood , I’d run the SP33G, but clean wood run the RS if you can , I have it on my 550 MK II and haven’t found a faster chain yet ,

Buckin Up

OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
If ur into somewhat dirty wood , I’d run the SP33G, but clean wood run the RS if you can , I have it on my 550 MK II and haven’t found a faster chain yet ,
All the trees and ones i`ve dropped are very clean wood. I have an old Stihl 025 that i keep around and use just for storm damage wood.

My local chainsaw shop has RS-PRO chains. I`ll grab up a couple of those.

Buckin Up

OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Also, i was noticing, the OEM chain on this CS4910 saw, when comparing the OEM chain to the oregon (M72) pro chain that i bought, the cutters are longer on the OEM chain compared to the oregon M72 chain. I`m not sure what chain brand Echo uses on these CS4901`s. I thought they came with oregon on them from the factory. If that`s true, they surely don`t look like the oregon M72 pro chain if you compare the actual cutters.

My Echo CS7310P has a oregon EXL on it. That saw cuts NICE!

Buckin Up

OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score

I`m not sure on the difference either. It might be that the 23RS standard is a anti-kickback, and the 23RS-Pro, is not (?)

huskihl

Muh fingers look really big
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
All the trees and ones i`ve dropped are very clean wood. I have an old Stihl 025 that i keep around and use just for storm damage wood.

My local chainsaw shop has RS-PRO chains. I`ll grab up a couple of those.
If your dealer can spin you loops in the size you need, you will never run another chain if you’re in clean wood