Hulpio

DIY addict
GoldMember
Local time
6:34 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Sorry if this is a really stupid question but why people are advancing timing by filing keyway?
If there is no fixed points-condensator style ignition system filing keyway makes no sense to me. Isn't it easier to file coil mounting holes a little oval and then push coil a bit CW when tightening the screws?

av8or3

So many saw ... so little time...
GoldMember
Local time
11:34 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Elongating the screw holes certainly would allow you to move the timing some. But I don’t believe enough. Also, some of these ignition coils can be sensitive to drilling and grinding.

cus_deluxe

terms of service violator
Local time
11:34 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
gotta keep those coil legs in the right spot in relation to the fw, if ur not perfect when u egg out mounting holes you may end up a little off. people do it because its just much easier to get the movement from the key.

Hulpio

DIY addict
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
35 years ago had a Puch 50cc engined moped. Flywheel kept falling. The more cold the weather, the more far away from home I was more sure it was that i had to find it from snow. Woodrof key gives me bad vibes still. There is very small chance that there really was something wrong with that engine. Adjusting crank bearing preload with shims is other thing funny now but disaster at those times.
I will perhaps try how old red Jonsered 535 reacts to MM and timing advance.
For old times sake not by touching keyway though.

Mastermind

Chief Cat Herder
Staff member
GoldMember
Local time
10:34 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Sorry if this is a really stupid question but why people are advancing timing by filing keyway?
If there is no fixed points-condensator style ignition system filing keyway makes no sense to me. Isn't it easier to file coil mounting holes a little oval and then push coil a bit CW when tightening the screws?
I move the flywheel about 7mm at the outer edge to get the amount of advance I need on most saw engines. You can't possibly move the coil that far.

Stump Shot

Disciple of Monkey's
GoldMember
Local time
10:34 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
35 years ago had a Puch 50cc engined moped. Flywheel kept falling. The more cold the weather, the more far away from home I was more sure it was that i had to find it from snow. Woodrof key gives me bad vibes still. There is very small chance that there really was something wrong with that engine. Adjusting crank bearing preload with shims is other thing funny now but disaster at those times.
I will perhaps try how old red Jonsered 535 reacts to MM and timing advance.
For old times sake not by touching keyway though.
Keep in mind, the key only indexes the flywheel in the proper location, the taper does all the holding.

Hulpio

DIY addict
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
As long as you have healthy taper. If not the rest is a nightmare.