Mastermind Approved!
GoldMember
Local time
4:05 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Gents,

I've just come across a chance to get a hold of an MS260 on the cheap. Never had one before, and have never turned a wrench on one. I've steered clear of Steels for the most part for the past 20 years or so. My Schteal hands on knowledge depth is limited to 024, 028, MS 170 and 230/250's at the moment.

As I understand, this one isn't running and no information on why, so we could call it a parts and/or scrap saw.

Looking for any and all information. Porting successes, upgrades OEM and AM, problem areas on the saw, etc.

Thinking to build a strong 50cc worksaw out of this one, if it checks out and is salvageable. If not, I'll be selling some parts real soon.

Cheers,
Dan

AlfA01

Mastermind Approved!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I’ve heard of the model.

It’s quite similar to the 024 you have experience with.

Quite durable.

Cool. My experience with that 024 was more user than maintainer. It never broke, so I didn't ever do much to it out of the normal, except preventative maintenance.

It was my old man's saw. I used to cut pulp wood with it and the 028. We lost the 028 in a house fire and he sold the 024.

Do they share a similar chassis? I see that many of the parts are interchangeable, so I'm assuming they must.

trooney

Admitted Woodaholic
GoldMember
Local time
9:05 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The 260 has got a different carb, carb box, air filter, oiler, worm gear, and clutch drum than the 024. Thats all besides the crank. The rest is the same. Have fun with it. They can be nice saws when running properly. Any saw can be brought back from the dead if you want to put the he time, effort, and money in to it. Thats my problem, I take on projects that I'm bound and determined to see to the end when sometimes it would be better to part out the saw. It all depends on what its worth to the individual.

AlfA01

Mastermind Approved!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The 260 has got a different carb, carb box, air filter, oiler, worm gear, and clutch drum than the 024. Thats all besides the crank. The rest is the same. Have fun with it. They can be nice saws when running properly. Any saw can be brought back from the dead if you want to put the he time, effort, and money in to it. Thats my problem, I take on projects that I'm bound and determined to see to the end when sometimes it would be better to part out the saw. It all depends on what its worth to the individual.

Appreciate the info. I got into one like that last year. I took on a 562XP scrap saw that was missing a lot of parts. If it would have had all the parts, it would have been well worth it without question; however, finding all the little tidbits and paying shipping sort of put it over budget. Albeit, I love that saw...it turned out great, just expensive.

Most will have a pathetic exhaust outlet. Best place to look for gains on a running saw.

Noted. And, already in the plans. I happened up on a stash of SS aircraft hydraulic tubes at the scrap yard and bought them. I cut those up and and use them for my dual port mufflers.

AlfA01

Mastermind Approved!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
NWP makes the best AM jug in my opinion.

I found a couple of their P&C kits. Do you use their rings? I see most guys opting to go with Caber rings versus other AM rings. I'm just curious if these guys have higher quality rings than the other AM companies.

I've got a lot of questions about these AM kits, as I've only ran OEM P&C's and one Meteor piston.

drf256

Dr. Richard Cranium
GoldMember
Local time
9:05 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
You can run meteors with one ring for sure. Most say that they pick up rpm that way

Why don’t you try to clean up the oem jug first, before buying an AM one.

On this side of the pond, used oem jugs are readily available, not sure by you.

AlfA01

Mastermind Approved!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
You can run meteors with one ring for sure. Most say that they pick up rpm that way

I'm not buying yet, at least not until I have the saw in hand. Just doing research and educating myself on what's out there and readily available for the saw.

I tend do quite a bit of studying, research and planning before I enter into any project. Much easier to keep myself within the budget range that way. :)

AlfA01

Mastermind Approved!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

Well, Doc, it looks like you were right. This OEM P&C are mint. Carbed was gummed up really bad. Went through the carb, replaced the membranes and she runs.

Strong compression and fires on the first pull almost every time. Not a bad saw for $75 + $4.50 for the membranes.

Now for a mods plan...

AlfA01

Mastermind Approved!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Can always send me the jug and slug. I'll do the mods for a 20 liter tin of that thick greek olive oil.

If I can find a way to send 20L for a decent price, I wouldn't mind a deal like that. Just so happens I have about 300L of that very oil from last year's harvest, Nov-Jan. Top quality Extra Virgin 0.3% acidity. I've got three different varieties: one from Crown Olives (lighter golden color and best for cooking), one from mix variety oil olives (medium green multi-purpose oil) and one from large green olives (darkest green color is best for salads). All were less than 0.5% acidity and pressed immediately after harvest.

Last edited:

AlfA01

Mastermind Approved!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
This is my personal oil. I keep it in a 70L SS tank. The valve at the bottom is slightly raised to help separate solids from the oil. The oil is cold pressed and not filtered.

My wife and I usually harvest from Nov - Jan every year.

IMG_20180808_163346.jpg IMG_20180808_163400.jpg

This oil is from Koroneiki (Crown) Olives and is among some of the best in the world. These olives are very small and more difficult to harvest, as they don't usually fall easily from the trees.
IMG_20180808_163614.jpg IMG_5497.jpg