High Quality Chainsaw Bars Husqvarna Toys

Finally started this McCulloch BP-1 project, need some parts and advice....

Scotty Overkill

Serial Tree Killer
Local time
12:03 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

Frank bierce

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
9:03 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I haven't yet.....planning on trying to this winter though.

What parts are you needing?
I need to get ahold of an IPL. I can tell so far, I need a crank, drive sprocket, piston….which I have a nos one. Hoping the cylinder is useable.

Frank bierce

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
That's something you don't see everyday. Some enterprising tinkerer must have misplaced it.
Yeah. Whoever tore the saw apart….either had plans for the crank…or it just didn’t get put into the box.

Scotty Overkill

Serial Tree Killer
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I have two complete saws.minus one carburetor. The one saw is in poorer condition than the other, so I'm not 100% sure I'll ever do anything with it. But the parts foe these are very hard to find. I've been watching the 'bay for years for a useable carb with no luck.

Frank bierce

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I have two complete saws.minus one carburetor. The one saw is in poorer condition than the other, so I'm not 100% sure I'll ever do anything with it. But the parts foe these are very hard to find. I've been watching the 'bay for years for a useable carb with no luck.
They are quite hard to find. I haven’t tore into this carb yet, to see if it is rebuildable.
This is the cylinder though….
IMG_1384.jpeg

jacob j.

Lord of Cargo Pants
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
They are quite hard to find. I haven’t tore into this carb yet, to see if it is rebuildable.
This is the cylinder though….
View attachment 400353

I think the BP-1 cylinders are sleeved but @heimannm Mark can correct me if I'm wrong. I think I remember seeing oversize pistons for these on Ebay many years ago.

Frank bierce

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I think the BP-1 cylinders are sleeved but @heimannm Mark can correct me if I'm wrong. I think I remember seeing oversize pistons for these on Ebay many years ago.
Yes they are sleeved. I did see up to .030 oversized pistons on one of the old mcculloch piston id sheets. Finding one, is a different story!! Lol

Al Smith

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
From my observation it appears to be of the time period cast iron die cast in alumnum alloy . As such if typical they may have offered over bore pistons at one time .However because of the very short time period it was in production it's highly unlikely to ever find any if they were offered .I have the piston charts on micro fiche which I'll investigate when I find the time .As far as the design it was an experiment that didn't work as intended but it was a good try .

Al Smith

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I don't think the original design thought was strictly a McCulloch thing .Cooper Bessemer had horizontal cylinder natural gas enourmous 2 cycle pumping engines that used the scavenging piston design decades before Mac ever thought of it and it was patterned after a Corliss steam engine .Some of those BTW used "producer gas "a byproduct of steel mills . Now of course those gigantic engines did not operate at 12,000 RPMs more like around 150 if that fast .

jacob j.

Lord of Cargo Pants
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Yes they are sleeved. I did see up to .030 oversized pistons on one of the old mcculloch piston id sheets. Finding one, is a different story!! Lol

It would probably be worth getting with Max the Mac Man to see if he picked up any when he bought Woody Strommen's inventory.

I know Mark ended up with part of Bob Johnson's inventory so that may be another lead.