High Quality Chainsaw Bars Husqvarna Toys

Finally started this McCulloch BP-1 project, need some parts and advice....

Scotty Overkill

Serial Tree Killer
Local time
9:46 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I'm not sure how many if yinz ever built one of these unique saws, but the way they did the intake ports is quite different from any other saw that I've seen in my day ....

The ports were drilled from the outside of the cylinder.......there are little plugs epoxied into the outer jug to fill those open holes. Well, the BP-1 I currently have on the bench has an excellent jug and piston, but one of those little port plugs is gone. Wondering if I should make a new aluminum plug and "mushroom" it with epoxy into that port hole, or should I just TIG weld the facking thing shut?

What say yinz fellas?

Sorry, no pic's at the moment as my phone died while I was working in the shop last evening, I'll try to get some tonight or tomorrow.

And while I'm at it, does anyone have any spare parts they'll get rid of for these BP-1's? I have almost enough stuff to build two of them. the one on the bench now will be my experimental saw, as I'm fabbing a carb box and linkage to accommodate a more modern carburetor. The original flat carbs for these saws are obsolete and parts to rebuild them just don't exist....

David Young

Safety First !!!!!!
Staff member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
pics of the missing plug

I think you are talking about the transfers?

you could do as you said and epoxy an aluminum plug in or possibly just jb weld it self.

you may want to fill the back area with wax to keep the epoxy where you want then melt the wax after you are done.

Scotty Overkill

Serial Tree Killer
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
pics of the missing plug

I think you are talking about the transfers?

you could do as you said and epoxy an aluminum plug in or possibly just jb weld it self.

you may want to fill the back area with wax to keep the epoxy where you want then melt the wax after you are done.
Yes, I meant the transfers.
I'm at work now, so the pics will have to wait.
I'm leaning towards getting an aluminum plug made on a lathe with a small shoulder on one side, putting it in from the inside with a bit of epoxy, and using a center punch to dimple it from the outside, hence "mushrooming" it in place.

jacob j.

Lord of Cargo Pants
GoldMember
Local time
6:46 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I think @jacob j. Has experience with these.

It's been around 15 years since I've worked on one, but yeah those plugs in the cylinder are common on most McCulloch engines of that era, due to their manufacturing processes. They're an SAE sized plug similar to freeze plugs on American made automobile engines. Measure the hole and you should be able to find a suitable replacement. JB Weld is fine for setting them. Two of my 125s got all the plugs replaced and set with JB Weld.

Scotty Overkill

Serial Tree Killer
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Here's the "as purchased" pics. Mostly complete saw, great compression, hot spark, but someone put a Tilly HL carb on it years ago. It's seen better days, but at least it exists...

Screenshot_2017-05-30-21-37-54-1.png

Screenshot_2017-05-30-21-38-03-1.png

Screenshot_2017-05-30-21-38-06-1.png

And here's some "before teardown" pics of the saw.....it's completely disassembled at the moment.....

20170605_225010-1.jpg

20170605_225027-1.jpg

Scotty Overkill

Serial Tree Killer
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
It's been around 15 years since I've worked on one, but yeah those plugs in the cylinder are common on most McCulloch engines of that era, due to their manufacturing processes. They're an SAE sized plug similar to freeze plugs on American made automobile engines. Measure the hole and you should be able to find a suitable replacement. JB Weld is fine for setting them. Two of my 125s got all the plugs replaced and set with JB Weld.
So a "pressed-in" style freeze plug?

Lee H

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Mcculloch used those plugs in most all there older saws and kart motors. You should be
able to find them at your auto parts store. They are not a cup style plug but a dished type
expanding plug. You install with dish up and tap the center down to expand it. Similar to
whats in a chainsaw carb.

Scotty Overkill

Serial Tree Killer
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Mcculloch used those plugs in most all there older saws and kart motors. You should be
able to find them at your auto parts store. They are not a cup style plug but a dished type
expanding plug. You install with dish up and tap the center down to expand it. Similar to
whats in a chainsaw carb.
Thanks, Lee. I'll check into it.

I've never tore down an old Mac before, this is my first. So I wasn't aware they made their transfers in this manner..

heimannm

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
8:46 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I sent a metering and a fuel pump diaphragm to Joe Salva some time ago hoping to get some part reproduced for the BP-1 carburetor but I haven't heard back. McCulloch used that same carburetor on the 170 Welder.

Mark

Chainsaw Jim

Con Artist LLC
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I sent a metering and a fuel pump diaphragm to Joe Salva some time ago hoping to get some part reproduced for the BP-1 carburetor but I haven't heard back. McCulloch used that same carburetor on the 170 Welder.

Mark
Which carb is supposed to be in the bp-1? All acres says is McCulloch brand. Is that the same flatback primer model as the other saws?

Sleeper

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Thanks, Lee. I'll check into it.

I've never tore down an old Mac before, this is my first. So I wasn't aware they made their transfers in this manner..

I've got some of those plugs. Well, a box of them. I'll see if I can find them. Meanwhile, you measure the hole. If it's the same as a Super 44A or 790 transfer port hole, these will work. Made several trips to Fastenal to finally get all of these spare plugs. Hoarding them, you see.