Finally able to run a saw again

isaaccarlson

Super OPE Member
Local time
6:17 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I tore a rotator cuff about a month ago and have not been able to run my saw or do a lot of other things. I have been doing exercises and therapy and putting my wife's homemade ointment on it. It feels much better and I am able to most things for at least a little while. It's a little sore after cutting today, but not bad. I cut about a face cord, maybe a bit more, and it felt good to be able to do that. I don't think I could handle a bigger saw for a couple more weeks, but at least I can cut some wood. It put a smile on my face and the saw was pulling hard, so I had to share a quick video.

av8or3

So many saw ... so little time...
GoldMember
Local time
7:17 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
It takes a long time to come back from that injury.
Been there myself. The older you are , the longer it takes. Good to see you back at it. Life is good!

Al Smith

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
A face cord might not be a record but it all adds up .I've got about 5 full cords now but it all came from a face every few days .Like today I blocked up a face or so yesterday of white oak which I'll split and stack .Damned stuff is hard as a rock and heavy as lead .It's not a race you know .

Mastermind

Chief Cat Herder
Staff member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
A face cord might not be a record but it all adds up .I've got about 5 full cords now but it all came from a face every few days .Like today I blocked up a face or so yesterday of white oak which I'll split and stack .Damned stuff is hard as a rock and heavy as lead .It's not a race you know .

Well said Al.

Normzilla

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
4:17 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I tore a rotator cuff about a month ago and have not been able to run my saw or do a lot of other things. I have been doing exercises and therapy and putting my wife's homemade ointment on it. It feels much better and I am able to most things for at least a little while. It's a little sore after cutting today, but not bad. I cut about a face cord, maybe a bit more, and it felt good to be able to do that. I don't think I could handle a bigger saw for a couple more weeks, but at least I can cut some wood. It put a smile on my face and the saw was pulling hard, so I had to share a quick video.

Good to hear. I know the feeling of injuries, and or trying to work through it. Left shoulder for me been a problem for a few years. To many years pole sawing miles of road, as well as shoveling Asphalt. It holds up well, unless I pole saw much. Now I have the younger kids doing that.

Mastermind

Chief Cat Herder
Staff member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I've had a lot of injuries over the years, but a torn groin muscle was the worst I think. Took years to heal.

Al Smith

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I managed last year to have a blow out ,hernia .That put me on the side lines for about 3 months .It's a hard pill to swallow as you age you just can't do stuff the way you did when you wore a younger mans clothes It doesn't mean you can't do it .You just need to come up with a different plan of attack . At one time I could block up and split 1 and a half - 2 cords of firewood a day .I can't get that much these days even with a hydraulic splitter .Be lucky to get two cords a week .

isaaccarlson

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I had a hernia several years ago. That was a rough patch for sure. That was the first year we were ahead on wood, and it was a good thing. We have tried to stay as far ahead as we can, and this is another good year to be ahead.

I should be healed up pretty well by August, but it took the middle out of summer. I don't really cut wood when it's hot and brushy, but there has been a bit of wood I have passed up because of the injury.

Al Smith

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Now the fire wood part .I have an abundance of it ,all good hard woods .I don't need to burn it because I have plenty of money to buy propane ,pay the electric bill or whatever .However it gives me some thing to test out my saws which I restore ,re build ,on occasion soup up .That's the fun part ,the fire wood part is just plain hard work . I could say it keeps me out of the bars except I gave that up decades ago .

isaaccarlson

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Saw looks strong.

Thanks. It pulls like a small train and has become my go-to saw for wood up to about 20". Doesn't burn much fuel either.

I am using a side gapped plug, and the tune is very different compared to a normal plug. If I remember right, the normal plug sounded overly rich at the same carb settings that I have with the side gapped plug.

Mastermind

Chief Cat Herder
Staff member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Thanks. It pulls like a small train and has become my go-to saw for wood up to about 20". Doesn't burn much fuel either.

I am using a side gapped plug, and the tune is very different compared to a normal plug. If I remember right, the normal plug sounded overly rich at the same carb settings that I have with the side gapped plug.

Side gapped due to clearance?

isaaccarlson

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Side gapped due to clearance?

No, for a faster flame kernel. The flame kernel from a side gapped plug does not have to go around the electrode. It can freely expand without anything in it's way. I try to index the plug so the electrode wire is up between 10 and 2 o-clock.

The combustion chamber is small, and the compression is high. I have not checked it since assembly, so I can't put a number on it, but it's definitely up there. It's high enough that I don't feel like pulling it over without the decomp just to check. You just can't spin it over and get a good reading. Starting it without the decomp can be a dangerous/painful proposition if not done carefully.

It pulls hard enough that I don't really need a bigger saw, even though I have my ported ms390, and now an ms660 that needs a rebuild. The crazy thing is, this 350 hangs with my ported ms390 and outcuts a stock ms390.