Farmi skidding winch

srb08

Doesn't play well with others
Local time
4:33 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Do any of you guys have any experience with the skidding winches from Farmi. I've been thinking about getting one (351P) for a while now and would like some feedback from guys who own them.
Any experience with other manufacturers and models is welcome as well.

Greenland South

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
2:33 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
image.jpeg I have a Wallenstein FX85. Really like having it. I don't think you would go wrong with any of the available skidding winches.

Ryan Browne

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I agree with Greenland in that I think they're all pretty good. I have a 351 and just love that tool. It allows me to be more productive than if I didn't have it AND it's a great tool for keeping the operator safe. I love being able to deal with hung up trees from 150' away.

If you, or anyone else reading this, think that you're gonna get one someday, do yourself a big favor and get it now. You'll wonder how you lived without it.

morewood

Mr. Awesome
Local time
5:33 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I drove all the way from NC to pick up an Igland 3501 in Stowe, Vermont. Only three years old and in great shape. Most of the ones I've seen are robust and simple, two things I like from a machine. Things to add in....have plenty of sliders, mine has three and I wouldn't have any less. If you can afford it, a self releasing pulley. That's a handy item if you are pulling around obstructions and don't want to manually remove the cable from a pulley/snatch block. Extra chokers, that way you can have it all ready for your next pull. Having one of these winches has made it much more productive retrieving wood from hard to access locations. I'll post up some pics when I get home this evening.

Shea

Duane(Pa)

It's the chain...
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I stored a copy of the 351 OM. It is alot like my old 400. What kind of tractor do you have? Also, have to say I gave the old girl a fresh coat of Kubota Orange paint last Summer, looks MUCH better now...

Attachments

• Farmi 351 Skidding Winch Operators.pdf
    1.5 MB · Views: 7

Two Trax

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Have owned a Farmi 351P for about 12+ years now. Never a problem and nothing but praise for it. One of my favorite tools! This is a serious piece of equipment, be very careful if pulling sideways, WHICH THE OWNERS MANUAL STATES NEVER TO DO, but undoubtedly you will find yourself doing from time to time. Duane nailed it in a previous post, you could tip over the tractor.

I use the same caution when winching as when felling, as in I always make sure I have an escape route if something goes wrong.

Sent from my SM-T810 using Tapatalk

morewood

Mr. Awesome
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
0312161125a.jpg 0413161842a.jpg

Just a couple of pics showing what these winches can do. I think the one you are looking at is comparable to this one. The one thing I remember people having strong opinions about are the drum brake/clutch/lock......whatever you want to call it. Mine is a simple lever fitting in teeth on the drum, a one way lock up, easy to disengage. I prefer it to a clutch that can possibly wear out. If you plan to pull against the drum instead of removing the chokers from the cable and locking them up in another fashion then it is something to research. If you need or want any specific pics just let me know, I do have some of the internals.

Shea

PS-I pulled more than 50 trees off this ridge top that had been dropped illegally by a feller. Many of these I couldn't have touched without that winch. They truly are a valuable tool.

srb08

Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I stored a copy of the 351 OM. It is alot like my old 400. What kind of tractor do you have? Also, have to say I gave the old girl a fresh coat of Kubota Orange paint last Summer, looks MUCH better now...
I have a Mahindra 4530. 45hp and around 8'000 lbs with the FEL. It's a no frills 4wd utility tractor.
I can't decide if I want the smaller 351 or if I'd be better off with the 505 or wallenstein fx85. I'm having a hard time finding prices and dealers for the Farmi.

Ryan Browne

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I have a Mahindra 4530. 45hp and around 8'000 lbs with the FEL. It's a no frills 4wd utility tractor.
I can't decide if I want the smaller 351 or if I'd be better off with the 505 or wallenstein fx85. I'm having a hard time finding prices and dealers for the Farmi.

Your Mahindra is pretty hefty for a 45 HP tractor. You also have a very resectable 3 point capacity. The bigger winches get you more line pull, but they will reduce how much wood you can pick up when you lift the winch to drive away.

I think I would base my decision on the size of the wood you're working with. I think your tractor can handle any of those winches, but if you're mostly dealing with small stuff, then you don't need the bigger winch. If, on the other hand, you're mostly going to be in hardwood over 24", then the bigger winch is probably a better choice.

Duane(Pa)

It's the chain...
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I have very little experience, but I'm amazed by what I can pull. 90% of the time tractor just above idle. No need for all available power...this can save your bacon. The heft of the tractor is key.

Last edited:

morewood

Mr. Awesome
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Our JD is 40 hp if I remember correctly, and that winch is suited to it pretty well. One log pulled off a hillside and when I went to drive off with it, tractor couldn't do it. I drove forward and let the winch unspool and then winched it farther up the hill to a flatter spot. I looked at bigger winches for sale, but preferred the size I have. Everything Ryan said is true, but more than likely you will never be able to fully use the higher line pull without dragging the tractor/winch backwards or sideways. Sawyer Rob on AS loves his big Wallenstein. It comes down to what are you willing to drive for.

Shea

Ryan Browne

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I should have added this information above, but I'm using my 351 on my Kubota mx4700. It's all the winch I'd want to put behind that tractor. I could mount a bigger one, but I'd have to be careful not to yank the tractor too much. As is, that winch will put some pretty impressive force on the tractor when the log doesn't want to move. It'll pull the whole tractor back several feet, even with the parking brake on and the feet on the ground.

My MX 4700 weighs 3800# bare. Loaded tires adds 900#. The loader and bucket add another 1000# or so. So, ready to winch I'm sitting right around 5700#.

Your Mahindra, on the other hand seems to be much heavier. The weight listed in tractordata.com is over 5500# for the bare machine. Loaded tires and a loader will add another couple thousand. Also, you have a LOT more three point lift than I do. That's why I think the bigger winch would be okay given the size of your tractor. That said it'll probably be capable of doing things to your tractor that you don't want. As the operator you need to watch that tractor like a hawk and be ready to let go of the rope.

srb08

Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Your Mahindra is pretty hefty for a 45 HP tractor. You also have a very resectable 3 point capacity. The bigger winches get you more line pull, but they will reduce how much wood you can pick up when you lift the winch to drive away.

I think I would base my decision on the size of the wood you're working with. I think your tractor can handle any of those winches, but if you're mostly dealing with small stuff, then you don't need the bigger winch. If, on the other hand, you're mostly going to be in hardwood over 24", then the bigger winch is probably a better choice.
Probably 90% of what I'll be winching will be under 24". The larger stuff
I can cut into shorter sections if necessary.

srb08

Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

Ryan Browne

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Thanks for the links. Those both look like nice units. The remote on the Fransgard is particularly appealing.

A remote would be awesome! For some pulls it wouldn't matter, but when you've got obstacles or a hill to climb it'd be the cat's meow. In my thinning project this winter there were lots of logs that were drawn to go right towards the trees i wanted to save. I had to stop winching, walk over with the cant hook, roll the log a turn or two, walk back to the winch, and then continue winching until the log got to the next magnetic sugar maple.