Last edited:

morewood

Mr. Awesome
Local time
3:57 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Easy. 1. Pick the options you HAVE to have. 2. Which winches have those. 3. Closest dealer or best price. Too many choices is actually a bad thing, narrow it down first. Seeing that they all seem to cost within $500 of each other, you can't go wrong. Don't be afraid to buy used. I paid 2k for mine and other than scratches in the paint it had everything. Three chokers, sliders, full spool of cable, everything.
0414161813.jpg 0414161820a.jpg

My remote control even has power out on the cable.

Shea

Last edited:

srb08

Doesn't play well with others
Local time
2:57 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Easy. 1. Pick the options you HAVE to have. 2. Which winches have those. 3. Closest dealer or best price. Too many choices is actually a bad thing, narrow it down first. Seeing that they all seem to cost within $500 of each other, you can't go wrong. Don't be afraid to buy used. I paid 2k for mine and other than scratches in the paint it had everything. Three chokers, sliders, full spool of cable, everything.
View attachment 61076 View attachment 61077

My remote control can even has power out on the cable.

Shea
I'd like to be able to look at the units and quality of construction. I haven't found any negative information on any of them. I thought I was sold on a Farmi but there is a Wallenstein dealer about an hour drive from me. If the Wallenstein looks good and The dealer is willing to deal, I might end up with an FX85.
I don't want to buy something and then realize I would have been happier with something else.
I'd like to find a used one but haven't been able to find any within a reasonable driving distance.

morewood

Mr. Awesome
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Obviously I have an Igland, but with the ones mentioned the only differences (I know of) are the spool braking systems. Either a band brake or ratchet/pawl brake. I prefer the ratchet/pawl because of the positive locking with a load on the spool. Also, it's stupid simple. I like the built in hitch that they have also. They all look nice, the Wallenstein seems to be in the $3500-$3800 range and seems to have more dealer support in the mid west. Pick it and don't look back. You won't regret any of them.

Shea

Ryan Browne

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I'm not sure if the Farmi has a trailer hitch. I think the Wallenstein does right from the factory. I use the hitch receiver that i added to my winch all the time. Obviously it wasn't expensive or difficult to add, but if don't have a welder handy it might be a pain. It you buy a winch without a hitch, plan on adding one.

srb08

Doesn't play well with others
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I've narrowed it down to the Wallenstein fx85, Farmi 351 and Tajfun 35a. I have a price, delivered and set up, on the Farmi.
The local Wallenstein dealer doesn't seem to want to mess with ordering one. When I called them initially, the salesman I talked to didn't think they were a dealer. After checking, he said they were and promised to call me back, with a price. He never called and a second call to the dealer ended in the same result. I'm not calling them again. There are several other dealers in the area but none of them knew anything about the product, other than they could order me one.
The Tajfun looks extremely nice but there isn't anyone local who sells them and I worry about parts availability down the road.
My wife says I'm overthinking things and she's probably right. She said to pick one and order it.
I really want a receiver hitch on what ever I get but only the Wallenstein looks to have one from the factory.
This would be much easier if I had some dealers locally and they gave a chit about selling me a winch.
The Farmi dealer I talked to is in Wisconsin and was willing to deliver the winch to Missouri, set it up and show me how to use it properly. So far he's my pick and even though he's a bit higher, I think he cares and that's worth something to me.

Thanks for all of the feedback I've gotten so far, it's appreciated.
Hopefully I'll be able to make a decision this week.

Duane(Pa)

It's the chain...
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
image.jpg
I got some pics of my Farmi 400. This one is of the spool with 150 ft. of 3/8" cable. You can see it will hold more cable if you need it. This also shows the (adjustable) drum brake that keeps the cable from overrunning the drum while you are pulling out. The drive chain turns all the time (if the PTO is engaged). Then when you pull on the top rope, it engages the clutch smoothly to turn the cable drum and pull in.

Last edited:

morewood

Mr. Awesome
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I
I've narrowed it down to the Wallenstein fx85, Farmi 351 and Tajfun 35a. I have a price, delivered and set up, on the Farmi.

The local Wallenstein dealer doesn't seem to want to mess with ordering one.

The Tajfun looks extremely nice but there isn't anyone local who sells them and I worry about parts availability down the road.
My wife says I'm overthinking things and she's probably right. She said to pick one and order it.

The Farmi dealer I talked to is in Wisconsin and was willing to deliver the winch to Missouri, set it up and show me how to use it properly. .

I hear you brother, I won't buy from someone that isn't willing to at least sell me the product. As far as the Tajfun, it, along with the others are so simply built that I wouldn't worry about parts availability......your wife is probably right this time......don't tell her I said that. The Farmi, minus the hitch, is still a great winch. They are willing to deliver, help set up, AND go over various functions...just go ahead and get it. You should ask them if they have seen anyone add a hitch, bet they could be helpful with that also.

Shea

Duane(Pa)

It's the chain...
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I

I hear you brother, I won't buy from someone that isn't willing to at least sell me the product. As far as the Tajfun, it, along with the others are so simply built that I wouldn't worry about parts availability......your wife is probably right this time......don't tell her I said that. The Farmi, minus the hitch, is still a great winch. They are willing to deliver, help set up, AND go over various functions...just go ahead and get it. You should ask them if they have seen anyone add a hitch, bet they could be helpful with that also.

Shea
I was checking mine out for mounting a 2" receiver, an obvious no brainer if I only had a welder...When it came to me that I had my phone in my pocket and I could post a few pics. I'll take europe over asia every time.

randy

Active OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
i have the farmi 501 on a NH wm 55, its 4 years old and what a life saver ! it is very powerful and has worked flawlessly . you have to be careful on direction of pull, because it will tip the tractor if pulling from to much of side angle. I'm retired and work on my property alone, cutting wood for my saw mill, thinning ,firewood and saves me so much work. if you work alone i suggest a couple of self releasing snatch blocks( save you a lot of walking to redirect you skid line). i know there are other good winches and I'm sure you'll love what ever you decide !

randy

Active OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
had to cover all my equipment for 3 years till i retired and got the saw mill and built my 40 ft pole barn this past summer , now tractor,lt 40 saw mill, bradco backhoe, log arch, gravel rascal and four wheelers have roof over their head, no more tarps yippeee !