Enough to make me sick

Wolverine

dilligaf
Local time
3:37 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Have you ever came upon a tree that should have been milled, and wasn't? Our neighborhood recently got a public sewer line put in. The property next door had a huge maple that needed removed. I talked to the man in charge and the crew removing let me have it for firewood. My BIL plus my entire family worked our asses off to get it done while the track-hoe was there. When splitting, I noticed some figure which made me sick. Now that it is keeping me warm, I find myself separating pieces because they are too nice to burn.

Have you ever encountered similar?
DSC08458.JPG DSC08457.JPG DSC08456.JPG DSC08455.JPG

Wolverine

dilligaf
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Yep! Our neighbor was beside herself that it had to come down. I was lucky to be home that day because they had a very large shredder ready and waiting. I plan to make something for her as a memento, maybe a bowl or two.
DSC08333.JPG

I also scored a bit more from some other neighbors, 90% being maple, none figured.

JeffGu

Known Troublemaker
Local time
2:37 AM
User ID
Reaction score
...all these farmers go rent a d9 and push all that luxurious firewood into a big burn pile...

They do that here, too. Miles and miles of them, burned in huge piles. Just so they can get another half acre of corn or beans in. Then they sit in the coffeeshop all day and whine about the low corn and bean prices.

olyman

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
2:37 AM
User ID
Reaction score
They do that here, too. Miles and miles of them, burned in huge piles. Just so they can get another half acre of corn or beans in. Then they sit in the coffeeshop all day and whine about the low corn and bean prices.
yeah,,no animals whatsoever,,so they cant get a good return on their investment..no "value added" stuffs...........:risas3::risas3: two years ago,,guy called,,said need trees down. ok. go to place. 22 white oaks,, averaged 36 dbh,, and 1 huge hackberry.. said first come, first served. I spent one month,, by myself,, getting all of them down,, and split what needed,, and hauled the rest to the acreage for later......should last a year or so!!! he said,, what I didn't get down,, the track backhoe would!!!! :eyebrow2::eyebrow2:

Wolverine

dilligaf
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Makes it worth having an alaskan mill. I could have made some serious coin if that was milled.

jakethesnake

I Am The Snake
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Just to touch on farmers pushing up burn piles I've done it myself you'd be surprised that you can't get people to come cut wood for free thing is they were already on the ground I offered everyone that I knew wouldn't sue me if they hurt themselves the number that showed were less than impressive... The ones that did come got a few years worth of cords I sold a ton but long story short they be some lazy people in the world

exSW

'Cause Thomas is a poopyhead
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Just to touch on farmers pushing up burn piles I've done it myself you'd be surprised that you can't get people to come cut wood for free thing is they were already on the ground I offered everyone that I knew wouldn't sue me if they hurt themselves the number that showed were less than impressive... The ones that did come got a few years worth of cords I sold a ton but long story short they be some lazy people in the world

Getting people that don't cut and run is hard.

jakethesnake

I Am The Snake
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Getting people that don't cut and run is hard.

Yeah actually it's enough to piss me the *f-word off its a funny game for people that don't get if but if you understood the why maybe you'd get why it happens I cut firewood down that is in my wY to make irrigation work in full circle type methods I don't see what the *f-word is so funny about it ??? Rofl ???????? What's so ficking funny??? I'd like to see someone laugh in my face... I'm not offended just don't understand what's so funny about low grain prices and not having 6000 beef cows to a lot for the prices it's just not quite so simple guess I just don't get the humor????

jakethesnake

I Am The Snake
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
And again no disrespect just found this post a tad disrespectful considering it's unlikely most understood the purpose of why it was done to start Off Obama wants to cut crop insurance which I pay for to try to make a living in a bad year and the initial reason for cutting trees that are affected in a full circle operation of a standard pivot it seems like a slap in the face to try to feed the world and make a living whilst doing it mind you I've tried to help anyone that may use firewood for free then get talked about by some that simply don't understand the cause Is all no offense taken just trying to educate my purpose I. What I do

exSW

'Cause Thomas is a poopyhead
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Yeah actually it's enough to piss me the *f-word off its a funny game for people that don't get if but if you understood the why maybe you'd get why it happens I cut firewood down that is in my wY to make irrigation work in full circle type methods I don't see what the *f-word is so funny about it ??? Rofl ???????? What's so ficking funny??? I'd like to see someone laugh in my face... I'm not offended just don't understand what's so funny about low grain prices and not having 6000 beef cows to a lot for the prices it's just not quite so simple guess I just don't get the humor????

I get it. I have a farm . I've been reclaiming field borders and fencerows for the last four or five winters. I have ONE cutter I can count on to take it all,not high grade and will pile brush when he's done. I whole sale the cull logs to a firewood processor. I'm not doing any clearing I'm just getting back to the original field borders. Forty years of my parents renting were not the best thing for keeping the edges in shape.

greendohn

firewood hack
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
There are a couple of landowners who pile and burn,,,some who are very generous about letting a firewood hack score and score big before bringing equipment in. The beer can pick up truck guys (they ain't real firewood hacks,,they're drunks who are too sorry to work a real job and they cut firewood for beer money), and then there are the just plain old fashioned *pretty boyes, these last 2 groups have no respect for another mans' property,,,cutting ruts across fields and pastures, not taking care with an old gate that might be on a week post,,trash,,makes it hard on an honest guy.
I've gotta' buddy who used to mill wood, I'd call him, he'd help me get the firewood out of a tree and he'd take the wood that would mill.
I've been chasing the tops after timber buyers have harvested for the past several years,,not much lumber to be found in those woodlots, just firewood,,lots and lots of firewood.

jakethesnake

I Am The Snake
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I think more or less what I was getting at was the comment on low grain prices and farmers whining about it also the comment of no animals to make a return on the low prices it shouldn't have offended me anyhow I'm not the guy that cries about prices just try to figure out how I can make money in general the cost to grow crops is insane and right now the prices are horrible even growing good crops without getting a fair price makes things tough for someone like me is all there is a lot of work involved lots of cost involved and fertilizers chemicals don't come down with the prices there are some good posts in this thread I'll not hijack it anymore no one meant any harm towards me I just took it wrong my mistake no need for a new thread lol

Wolverine

dilligaf
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
:thumbsup:

I just bought a nice bandsaw so I can use these pieces of firewood that I refuse to put in my wood stove. My father has a lathe so @ the very least we'll start turning some crafts.