ECHO Echo, Echo, Echo

bigbadbob

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
3:13 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Doing any mods or conversions to it?

They could have changed but on the 490 muffs I’ve done all you do is pull the muff, remove deflector, then remove restrictor tube. Then open exhaust port a bit and you’re done.
So pulled the muff,,removed the tube thingy, snipped the ex outlet cover to a much larger size. Went to remove limiters, H was gone so did the low, tuned it, sounds good. No wood here in the city,,,
Test it later.
There was zero carbon or even traces of it on the ex port, still aluminum color,, slug was as new.

Last edited:

LouCi4er

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
1:13 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Just a cs-490. I think they are about the same saw. Put it in wood yesterday and was a little disappointed, think I may need to fatten up the high side some more. I'm sure it needs broken in yet too.

I put my compression tester on it and was only able to get around 100 psi out of it. Is this normal? P/C look brand new and no issues starting but seems on the low side.

Nice saw but i think if it was only 100 psi,it wouldnt start at all.How many tanks on it?Echo saws need many tanks to really wake up.My 490 is on second tank,i never tested the compression,truth is it feels a little low but the saw cuts strong.I think that after 10 tanks or so it will show its power.

chainsawcam

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
6:13 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Nice saw but i think if it was only 100 psi,it wouldnt start at all.How many tanks on it?Echo saws need many tanks to really wake up.My 490 is on second tank,i never tested the compression,truth is it feels a little low but the saw cuts strong.I think that after 10 tanks or so it will show its power.

It starts on 3rd or 4th pull and will idle all day. I was surprised when it only read 100. It's a cheap tester but I've got consistent results with it on other motors. I've ran a couple tanks through it and have noticed a slight uptick in power already. I would like to know what all it takes to fit a 3/8 lopro sprocket on it as I see myself making the conversion eventually.

LouCi4er

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
1:13 AM
User ID
Reaction score
I've tested mine with 3/8lp chain and wasn't impressed,i left it with .325.I only tested it for a couple of cuts since i only have 2 tanks through it yet.Anyway the 490 is small spline rim but 3/8 lp small spline rim is not available.You have 2 options,1) is to use a standard 3/8 rim (as i did) but some people claim that 3/8 lp chain don't fit perfect on standard 3/8 rim and can cause excesive wear on the chain and/or rim.I used a chinese rim and i could swear that the lp chain was running perfect on the standard rim but as i said i only tested it for a couple of cuts so don't count much on my opinion.The option number 2 is to modify a Stihl Picco rim which is mini spline (or buy it from someone already modified) to fit the small spline,Danzco shells small spline picco rims but they are expensive imo.Too much trouble i believe and for what?

I run mine with 16" .325 058 Stihl RM chain (RM is Semi Chisel) but i bought a couple days ago 2 loops of Oregon 21 LPX Full Chisel to see how it goes.Can't wait to try it.

dahmer

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
It starts on 3rd or 4th pull and will idle all day. I was surprised when it only read 100. It's a cheap tester but I've got consistent results with it on other motors. I've ran a couple tanks through it and have noticed a slight uptick in power already. I would like to know what all it takes to fit a 3/8 lopro sprocket on it as I see myself making the conversion eventually.
I bought the conversion rim from Nate, @fordf150, took a spare A041 18” bar and shortened the tail. Now I can run same chain on 490 and 400.

JonCT

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Thanks...I’m working on my grandfathers 650evl that he bought new around 1983. That’s the saw that kinda started my vintage Echo obsession...I’ll post pics when I get her all cleaned up.

thedude74

Bonafide & Stuff !!!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Picked up a cs490 this week. About 5 tanks through it. Pulled the limiters on the carb, the restricter from the muffler and opened the deflecter with a grinder. Had a 16" .325 bar and chain from a poulan and slapped it on. Really liking this combo. Light and quick for small to medium wood. After following the builds on these by Red97 and others it's likely I'll be tearing into mine soon for some mild porting, cleanup and slight compression bump(base gasket delete).

merc_man

merc_man
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Want some opinions on pistons. I ordered an oem cylinder for the cs 670 of my sons. An oem piston and rings is 95 at dealer. Question is thers also an aftermarket on ebay that is a little less. Oem has 2 rings aftermarket has 1 ring.
I like going oem but wanted your opinions.
bba79b23746a577fab47f42da2636fd1.jpg

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Dub11

Saw R skeery
GoldMember
Local time
5:13 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Want some opinions on pistons. I ordered an oem cylinder for the cs 670 of my sons. An oem piston and rings is 95 at dealer. Question is thers also an aftermarket on ebay that is a little less. Oem has 2 rings aftermarket has 1 ring.
I like going oem but wanted your opinions.
bba79b23746a577fab47f42da2636fd1.jpg

Joe @Red97 might know?

thedude74

Bonafide & Stuff !!!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
In my limited experience with aftermarket pistons the rings are usually crap. By crap I mean gap was way off. So figure another $8-$10 for a caber or factory ring. Probably best just to go with factory as you mentioned.

thedude74

Bonafide & Stuff !!!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The new cs490 has about 6 tanks of fuel through it now. Last night it got a makeover. Disassembled it. Pulled the cylinder. Widened the exhaust port about 1/10" per side(approx 65% piston width). Also squared it up a bit. Pulled the transfer covers and matched them to the port. Knife edged the lower transfers. Cleaned up burs, sharp edges. Port matched the exhaust gasket and muffler. Ditched the cylinder gasket (.016" compressed) and glued it on and transfer covers with some permatex ultra gray.

Opened up the muffler port under the deflector a bit more and took out the spark arrester.

Tuned it this morning. Swapped the 16" bar for the factory 20". Had a loop of Stihl 23RS on hand. Filed the rakers down a few extra strokes and put it in some 18" spruce.

Even with an aggressive chain it pulled good. Certainly gained some mid range torque vs stock.

Tuned in the cut for Max power it four strokes nicely when free revving. Liking this little saw a lot.
Awaiting my 3/8-7 rim to see how it pulls a loop of 16" lgx.

merc_man

merc_man
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I stopped today and ordered the new piston kit for the 670. That should be in next week and hopfully the cylinder follows shortly after. Ebay says it just cleared customs. Usually within a week from that it comes.
f716f505ff6f58bee413a26d52cc8956.jpg